Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)

Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #41
isusww is on a distinguished road
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know the dimensions of the storage compartment under the deck (with the new dash mounting kit)? Is there a cover for this compartment? I'm asking because it looks like a good place to install a Scan Gauge II. I just can't tell if it would work or not.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:34 AM   #42
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by isusww View Post
Does anyone know the dimensions of the storage compartment under the deck (with the new dash mounting kit)? Is there a cover for this compartment? I'm asking because it looks like a good place to install a Scan Gauge II. I just can't tell if it would work or not.
That is what I want to do. I know that the Scosche dash kit is large enough, but the dash kit I got from Crutchfield - I don't know if that is big enough. I will measure mine when I get a chance.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #43
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
If it fits, I know I could make a cover of ABS plastic or some thin plexiglass cut to fit. I would then just have to devise a clever way of attaching it for easy access
Old 07-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #44
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If it fits, I know I could make a cover of ABS plastic or some thin plexiglass cut to fit. I would then just have to devise a clever way of attaching it for easy access
You could put metal spring loaded clips on your ABS/Plexiglass faceplate and some removal handles. That would make it easy to get in and out, and a clean tight fit while it was all together. I would love to do that.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #45
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Tacoma View Post
You could put metal spring loaded clips on your ABS/Plexiglass faceplate and some removal handles. That would make it easy to get in and out, and a clean tight fit while it was all together. I would love to do that.
I was thinking magnets or something...
Old 07-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #46
isusww's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is what I want to do. I know that the Scosche dash kit is large enough, but the dash kit I got from Crutchfield - I don't know if that is big enough. I will measure mine when I get a chance.
:::Bump:::

Did you get a chance to check this out yet?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 PM   #47
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
I was thinking magnets or something...
Just be careful with magnets. Now-a-days vehicles have many different computers, and the center column is a good place to put them (digitally tuned radios and SRS computers are among them)

Quote:
:::Bump:::

Did you get a chance to check this out yet?
Yep. The opening is 6.75 wide and 1.25 tall. Unfortunately. It doesn't look like it will fit. You would need the Scoche Kit to get it to fit without cutting it up.

Here is a quote from the ScanGauge II FAQ:

What are the dimensions of the ScanGauge II?
The ScanGauge II is 4.8"Wide, 1.5"High and 1.0"Deep
Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #48
Tazzman is on a distinguished road
Tazzman's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you. Pics helped alot.. New ALPINE CDA-9885 installed and sounding sweet! No other changes... WOW what a differance. OEM speakers actualy have life in them..
OLD and UGLY

New!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:41 PM   #49
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzman View Post
Thank you. Pics helped alot.. New ALPINE CDA-9885 installed and sounding sweet! No other changes... WOW what a differance. OEM speakers actualy have life in them..
It looks great! Congrats.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:42 PM   #50
tacopuppy is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
tacopuppy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzman View Post
OLD and UGLY

New!
I installed this exact setup. I've always liked Alpine and I used the 9827 for a few years. This model, the 9885, just sounds smokin'! I hooked up my old extra 40gb ipod to it and satellite radio. the sound is fantastic through the JBL system.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #51
tacomacho is on a distinguished road
tacomacho's Tacoma Gallery
looks great,buy the way were did you get your dash kit
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 PM   #52
comadude is on a distinguished road
comadude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopuppy View Post
I installed this exact setup. I've always liked Alpine and I used the 9827 for a few years. This model, the 9885, just sounds smokin'! I hooked up my old extra 40gb ipod to it and satellite radio. the sound is fantastic through the JBL system.
Were you able to keep the JBL Subwoofer hooked up?
I have the JBL stereo system in my truck also and would like to swap out the head unit for a better one with a iPod hook up.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 AM   #53
wadedro13 is on a distinguished road
wadedro13's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=sunruner19;3574]I will be doing a rear camera install on my 05 tacoma next week. I will take pics of this install and post them here. also pics of the pioneer avic z1 navigation install.
Again, i which to thank PBtothemax for his help locating the speed sensor and reverse wires.
QUOTE]

Where can I find this "reverse wire" forum? I have been looking for hours. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM   #54
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Check this out - a link to Twice.com's article on HD Radio devices and upcoming devices. I haven't heard when it is coming out though...
I got tired of waiting. I hope HDRadio is not over charing for device licensing. That will kill the future of HDRadio. But as it turns out almost every station I listen to is HD so I proceeded.

I just picked up at JVC KD-HDR1 from Circuit City. So odd this is the only unit out there with integrated HD tunner... anyway. I'm just waiting on my BestKits dash kit and JVC iPod adapter to come in the mail.

I'm leaving for Colorado Friday so I'm really hoping this stuff all arrives in time to install it.

Listening to audio books on an iPod with an FM modulator turned out to be nauseating (literally) last time. The squeals and interference were quite literally making us sick. But know I know if Harry Potter dies or not
Old 08-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #55
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
reverse wire red/white located behind driver side kick panel

[quote=wadedro13;20707]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunruner19 View Post
I will be doing a rear camera install on my 05 tacoma next week. I will take pics of this install and post them here. also pics of the pioneer avic z1 navigation install.
Again, i which to thank PBtothemax for his help locating the speed sensor and reverse wires.
QUOTE]

Where can I find this "reverse wire" forum? I have been looking for hours. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #56
biorunner1 is on a distinguished road
biorunner1's Tacoma Gallery
How can I get into the rest of the Console?

What you have posted here is great info. I have been successfully able to get into my dash and my door panels, but do you know where I can find info on how to take out my center console without breaking anything? I want to clean up some wiring to my amps and am thinking about doing a mod with a cup holder heater/chiller.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #57
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biorunner1 View Post
What you have posted here is great info. I have been successfully able to get into my dash and my door panels, but do you know where I can find info on how to take out my center console without breaking anything? I want to clean up some wiring to my amps and am thinking about doing a mod with a cup holder heater/chiller.
If you have an Automatic, it will take some doing. I have no experience taking the auto console out.

On the Manual Trannys (2nd Gen), you pull the cupholders straight up. They unsnap from the console exposing the forward bolts.

On both the Auto and the Manual trannys, the back of the console has a lower plate with a vent in it. This unsnaps to expose the rear bolts. I believe the bolts are 10mm on both. After removing them, you should be able to remove the center console.

If you have the chance - take pictures and post them on here. If someone helps you, it is always good to help someone else.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #58
Thanks for the info, I do have an Auto but will try to figure it out this weekend.

Here are some pics of my truck.

The Stereo system has been my main project and have done it in steps over the last few years. I just put in those infinity Kappa's in the back last week. They sound incredible. I have MB Quarts in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-truck.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-dash.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-amp-.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-amp-back.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-rear-tweet.jpg  

Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 AM   #59
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biorunner1 View Post
Thanks for the info, I do have an Auto but will try to figure it out this weekend.

Here are some pics of my truck.

The Stereo system has been my main project and have done it in steps over the last few years. I just put in those infinity Kappa's in the back last week. They sound incredible. I have MB Quarts in the front.
Looks good. Let us know how it goes this weekend.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #60
Rewire Finished

Well it went well. I am attaching a before, after, and during pics. Your info led me in the right direction though my truck is a little different. The back 10mm bolts were inside the arm rest compartment. I really just needed to get under that section anyways. There were also some philips head screw holding the front portion down. All in all it was pretty easy and allowed me to really get in there and clean up the wiring to my amps. I am really happy with it now and was able to remove about 4 feet of speaker and power cable. The location is right behind some floor vents which can keep the amps cool if need be.

I have more pics if anyone is interested but this thing only allows for 5 at a time. I think you guys have a better way of uploading but I am not sure how.

Anyways, the next project is to sell some old junk laying around the house to save up enough cash for a Dual Din DVD/Nav system. The only thing I am really worried about though is theft. The location for these things in the tacoma dash seems to be easy to see and a target for a theif. I've contemplated just getting the single din version but I just don't like the motorized screen like that. It just seems flimsy and easy to break. Does anyone else have ideas to prevent getting your $1200.00 after market 2 din nav system stolen?
Attached Thumbnails
Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-b4.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-after.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-box.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-dsc01163.jpg   Stereo Upgrade BASIC How To... (2nd Gen)-dsc01168.jpg