1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo Theft (Stock vs. Single din, Double din)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tacomaatw, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Oct 19, 2009 at 10:41 PM
    tacomaatw

tacomaatw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    010 TRD Off-Road Super White
    Avid Off-Road Bar, Superbumper, Weathertechs, Hunter 4x4 Nerf Bars
    I'm thinking about replacing my factory HU (6 CD, non-JBL), but I'm not sure because of security issues. To go stealth, I'd just replace the speakers and hope the sound is better, but I wouldn't have any additional functions that a new HU would provide.

I'm thinking about a double din Kenwood, but I just wish I could morph it back to the stock look when I took the keys out of the car.

Any suggestions?

Also, maybe this should be another thread, but are there many component speakers that fit the factory tweeter location? On Crutchfield, there's a note stating for all components for the Taco, drilling or mounting may be required.

Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 20, 2009 at 6:55 AM
    stang88

stang88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    the stock stereo uses (4) 10 mm bolts for mounting it into the dash... you can always get the security bolts in the same size. but theives dont wanna spend alot of time in a vehicle. i personally like the way the toyota did it.

3. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    tacomaatw

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    Any more feedback? I'm starting to think this was a silly thread, and I'm leaning heavily toward the kenwood 5120, since someone installed a kenwood 81-- and had much improvement with the stock speakers.

If need be, I'll buy speakers, but I'm going to start with the HU.

I guess if they're going to steal the HU, they'll steal the HU. Performance may be worth the risk.

4. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I mean...It happens- but unless you are in a REALLY bad area I wouldn't worry so much about it.

I have been driving for like 10 years and had 4 different cars with upgraded stereos and never had my card broken into...If your area is that bad- I'd save your money and move instead of spending it on a stereo...

Plus...That's what insurance is for. It's easier to not have the issue in the first place, but it'll fix it if something does happen.

5. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:26 AM
    tacomaatw

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, Brunes. I'm going for it.

6. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:16 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    The only time I've been stolen from is when guys followed me from the audio store and stole my subs. I've had an alarm installed on my vehicles since then and haven't had any worries.

One guy on here throws a towel over the dash, which isn't a bad idea.

7. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    i'd say if your worried about it tint the windows as much as local laws will allow and when you park put one of those sun shade things in the windshield... it wouldnt look like anything out of the ordinary thus not drawing any attention and would cut down on the visibility inside the truck alot.

8. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I think that would draw more attention to it than anything

9. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:35 AM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    yea thats what i was thinking.. thats why i suggested the sun shade thing.. lots of people use those.

10. Oct 20, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Good advice here.

11. Oct 20, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    my prior truck got broken into...had 20% tinted windows, lived in a good part of town and all. ripped my dash apart trying to get the cd player out, but gave up. took the sub out from under the rear seat too. If someone wants it they will take it, only way i'll ever go aftermarket headunit again is if i have an alarm with a proximity sensor so soon as they walk up it starts makin noise.

12. Oct 20, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I've never heard of an alarm with a proximity sensor, but I doubt it's something you would want - a cat goes by, neighbors walk past, someone parks next to you, ... I already get enough false alarms from my glass breakage sensor going off when a train goes past or someone drives by with a fart muffler.

My neighbor got his head unit stolen from his Chevy Blazer while it was in the garage and he was in the house sleeping. He had stock gear.
    My friend had 10 cents and a pack of chewing gum stolen from his car
    I had seat belt clips stolen from my car

It's about trying your best but knowing how to minimize risk as best you can. No one's busted in my truck, siphoned gas, or tried hacking off my catalytic converter. Knock on wood.

x2 sadly

13. Oct 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been going back and forth too and getting to the point that I don't need a super nice stereo in my car, but like you said the new head units have some nice built-in features (i.e. bluetooth, navigation, ipod control, etc.).

My 1994 Toyota pickup was a magnet for thieves. They could and would easily break the triangle vent window in that truck without anyone knowing. The good thing is that my stereo was bolted in and there was no way for them to get it out without removing the entire dash... the bad thing is that they would always try to pry it out and tear the thing to shreds.

I even had someone try to steal my cadillac converter at Lowe's in the middle of the day... some people have balls.

Every time that I was broken into though, I never had a car alarm. After putting an alarm in that truck it was never touched. From my experience, I think most of the people stealing stereo equipment out of cars are petty thieves and that most are deterred by car alarms (although not all).

14. Oct 20, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    Dei 508d, you can add it to any dei alarm.....mazda even had it as an option on the protege 5's i believe from the factory.

I didn't know Cadillac made converters ;-) .... i used to work for autozone and the old men would come in and say they needed a cadillac converter, i would say you mean a catalytic converter and they would say no i want a cadillac converter..LOL

15. Oct 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    I'm thinking of Pontiac drivers or Tahoe drivers who wish they could've gotten the Escalade would be the primary seekers of "cadillac converters".

Guess I"d be in the market too if they made Lexus converters for a luxury trimmed Tacoma. :D

16. Oct 21, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    I have a Clifford Concept 400 and it has a dual zone Proximity Sensor.

Products Discussed in

To Top