1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Subs with stock head unit?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Big Guns, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Feb 8, 2008 at 3:18 PM
    Big Guns

Big Guns [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 4.0L Indigo Blue
    Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, Black Headlight Mod, DO Rock Sliders
    I am wondering if it is possible to run a single sub/amp combo through the stock Taco head unit. I know i had to swap out the stock unit on my 99 silverado because of too many aux components, but i was running aftermartket speakers, two 12's, and 2 amps. I am looking to put just a single 10" and a small amp to power it, but i dont want to swap out my head unit. Just wondering if this is possible.

2. Feb 8, 2008 at 3:44 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    Yeah you can run it through the stock head unit. I have 2 10's and an amp, they kept the stock JBL amp too, I'm not sure if its for the speakers or what, but they have it double amped. I'll get pictures up soon

3. Feb 8, 2008 at 3:54 PM
    Big Guns

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    Sweet. I loved the bump from my old truck but told myself i would never do it again... i lied haha. When i turn the stock bass up it is okay, but im afraid that im going to blow something because i get the static noise when it hits real hard.

Im thinking i just might install it myself, i have done a few mild setups for my friends on their trucks, but they all used aftermarket head units. Is it difficult to pull the stock unit out? I dont really see a solid place for it to pop out at. My chevy just popped the outer ring off and the unit was able to be slid out after popping the lock clips on the sides. If anyone has picks showing how this is done on the 2nd gen taco, much appreciated.

4. Feb 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
  5. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:11 PM
    Big Guns

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    That looks good, unfortunatley i have an access cab, so i will have to just throw it on the seat. Thats why im opting for the smaller 10". The back doesnt get used too too much as far as people carrying goes, so that shouldt be a big deal I will prob mount the amp to the sub box, so if need be i can unplug and pull it out no problem. I need to take a closer look in the back to see how i can McGyver something to keep it stable while driving, but be removable.

6. Feb 8, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    one site makes sub panels to replace the access cab door ones, but i cant remember who it was. someone else might chime in w/ a site name

7. Feb 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM
    corywilson13

corywilson13 Canadian Taco

Member:
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco sr5 Access 6spd Std
    Grom-Ipod, Bed Mat, Tool Box with TRD mat, Inifnity 6x9's.
    Check the www.*********.com website for instructions on removing your stock deck. Its simple, I just slide a credit card up under the air control knob area, and twist so it pops out enough to get my giners under and just pull it out. Then you will see 4 10mm bolts. after those are out. Put your hand underneath the front of the deck and just pull out and up.

As for a decent sub box for the access cab, try the search button, there is a guy on this site that makes a very nice one that fits in the middle of the back seat area and it also acts as an armrest for the people sitting in the back.

-Cory

8. Feb 10, 2008 at 10:07 PM
    Big Guns

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    Those are good instructions. I like the pictures the website provided also, makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the feedback guys! Ill search and see if i can find that sub box.

9. Feb 10, 2008 at 10:29 PM
    Big Guns

Member:
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    Okay so i did some snooping around. These enclosures are nice becuase they dont take up any room and mount into the door: http://www.xtremekreations.com/fabrication.html. This one looks real clean and adds a nice arm rest to the back: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/3298-subxclosures-access-cab-sub-box.html

Both look like good options, but the center console version looks a little easier to run wire from an at home install [run it under the center console and up to the stereo]. Im not sure how the wiring is for the door mount model, but i would assume you would have to run all new wires for amps/sub/etc. More labor intensive and prob not for the do-it-yourselfer with looking to keep it clean. Also, a little more $$.

10. Feb 18, 2008 at 9:07 AM
    corywilson13

corywilson13 Canadian Taco

Member:
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco sr5 Access 6spd Std
    Grom-Ipod, Bed Mat, Tool Box with TRD mat, Inifnity 6x9's.
    My stock deck doesnt have a spot for rca's, Ideas???

11. May 23, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    Loiman20

Loiman20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    double cab long bed
    BFG All Terrains 265/75/16 bull bar guard nerf bars 2 inch leveling kit grillcraft sport grill "toyota" emblem
    im wondering the same thing.

12. May 23, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    You don't need rca's to wire subs. I'm not sure how to do in a taco since I'm relatively new here, but you can tap into the rear speaker wires and then run that to the amp. Most amps have a separate spot for a wire harness. I wish I could explain this better but I can't without pics. If anyone else can, please do. I'm interested in where to tap into the rear speaker wires.

13. May 23, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....

Products Discussed in

To Top