Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

iPod adapter volume

Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
basiccable is on a distinguished road
basiccable's Tacoma Gallery
iPod adapter volume

I had an ipod adapter hardwired into my stock head unit from Best Buy, and since I've gotten it installed, I've noticed that it doesn't get as loud as CDs and the Radio do. With the volume at max, it's about as loud as a CD is on 40.

What's the deal?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Northern Alliance Gynecologist
TacoMon is on a distinguished road

TacoMon's Tacoma Gallery
If it is the ipod2car adaptor you need to set the dip switch #6 to the on position. If not, I have no idea.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
mags is on a distinguished road

mags's Tacoma Gallery
same problem here. i bumped up my itunes volume 20% which translated to my ipod and resulted in a decent increase in sound. i will likely bump it up more when i get a chance at work.

using the metra adapter.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Great suggestions guys! Thanks!

Some of my songs are 'low' and others are higher. I know that's the difference between where my files come from. I gotta go through and find those lower songs and bump 'em up individually.

I have the ipod2car also.

Has anyone actually used the *sound check*? I was searching in the HELP screen and discovered it. Apparently, if you click this ..it'll automatically adjust all songs to be the same level? I'll have to see if this helps....
Old 02-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
so you can increase the volume of your ipod through itunes?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiccable View Post
so you can increase the volume of your ipod through itunes?
These just adapt the file outputs I believe.

If you go to *Preferences* - there's lot of goodies to play with, paticularly the 'playback'.

If you right click on each song individually - click GET INFO, and use the Options tab...there's more adjustments there.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #7

mags's Tacoma Gallery
on your itunes library:

edit, select all, get info, options, volume adjustment. it will give a warning about adjusting more songs than one. just ignore it.

hook up your ipod and it will sync each song with the volume adjustment. if you have thousands of songs it will take a while.

careful next time you toss your earbuds in. the volume will be more sensitive.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
The Professional
c0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shedc0b2a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 3rd SFG(A)
c0b2a's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to c0b2a
So just making sure I understand this right it was his audio files sound output volume that was messed up not the Ipod adapter. Cause I plan to install one this following week and hoping I don't run into a volume problem.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
yeah i was just messing around with the equalizer today on my ipod and you can get more volume by just doing that
Old 02-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #10

mags's Tacoma Gallery
my uneducated guess is that the volume output when using the ipod's data port seriously lacks.

when i used to have a radio freq adapter i had the same issue. my wife has a tape adapter with a standard audio plug and her volume is fine(and adjustable.)
Old 02-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
yeah i love the tape adapter

but ive never had a car with a tape deck
Old 02-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #12
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0b2a View Post
So just making sure I understand this right it was his audio files sound output volume that was messed up not the Ipod adapter. Cause I plan to install one this following week and hoping I don't run into a volume problem.
It's all based on the audio files themselves. My files came from a variety of different places- copies, cd's, internet, etc. One song would be loud while another would be soft. To help control that (and it seems to be working) was click the *sound check* button in the preferences. It adjusts all the songs to be about the same. It's been plenty loud enough for me....in both the car and the earbuds.

After doing that - you could go and adjust the volume even higher - as folks have suggested.

My only concern was the variations song-to-song. It was really bugging me!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #13
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I too have noticed this problem, thanks for the advice, Mags.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
bwhit is on a distinguished road
bwhit's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have any pictures of what the IPOD adapter looks like installed. Very Interested!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I've got some pics in my gallery.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by basiccable View Post
yeah i love the tape adapter

but ive never had a car with a tape deck

Wow. This is the first vehicle I have had with a CD player!
And now I own 6 Cd's!
But the Ipod is the only way to fly.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:05 AM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have to laugh...

Between my husband and I, we probably own about 300 CD's and I have a case with about 100 tapes in it. I spent a couple weeks going through our CD collection, popping them in the computer and grabbing the songs I wanted. My gawd, the poor driver on my puter got nice & hot.

Then - last week, went through my case of tapes....getting names of groups/albums/songs I wanted. Searched for them on itunes cuz some of the stuff was a mis-matched copy of songs from various artists. I had no clue who artists were..... not-so-popular type of music.

Now, I've got this group of songs I'm trying to locate on the internet by using Fravia - it's gonna be a long process but I'm finding all sorts of other fun songs from my olden days (80's). Brings back some memories for sure.
I'm gonna need a bigger ipod soon!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
This is something you guys might wanna try...

I just found this program called MP3Gain... looks pretty slick and the peeps on ilounge recommend it.

You pick the desired db rating (sound output) you want. You pick your music and it'll analyze the song/s first to give you an idea of the output they have already. Then - you click and it'll upconvert or downconvert the db rating based on what you want and what the song already has.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

I just started using this - so I don't have any feedback yet.