1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

audio upgrade suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by talktosamson, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM
    talktosamson

talktosamson [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DblCab TRD Off Road SR5
    howdy, brand new here- both to tacomaworld and tacomas in general.

Here's my issue: I just bought a new (09 but untitled from dealer) TRD dblcab Offroad SR5 etc etc tacoma which I absolutely love more than any other vehicle I've ever owned. My ONLY gripe is that the sound system is just not that great. It has two EQ settings and volume through aux input (ipod turned all the way up) is just not very impressive. I don't ride around blasting rap or anything, but sometimes I like to turn it up when I let the v6 really run.

I'd like to upgrade but don't know what I need/ dont need and what kind of equipment will still work with the stock aux input.

I don't really need any kind of gps (big map guy) or dvd player really, just a good deal on a quality set up. What would you suggest and where would I find it? Personal opinions/ biases encouraged.

Thanks

2. Oct 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    I first upgraded my head unit to Pioneer and left all the speakers stock and it was a great upgrade, especially for the volume issue. You can get an aftermarket head unit for $120-160 with tons of options. Buy it from the right place and all the install stuff is free too.

3. Oct 26, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    What do YOU consider good sound? what is your budget?

some of us on here are purists and others just get by. Lets hear a budget and then i will be more than happy to "help" you along with your build.

4. Oct 26, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    talktosamson

talktosamson [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DblCab TRD Off Road SR5
    I'm not going to compete nor am I going to need huge subs. I would like a good mid-level system that would sound great to pretty much anyone. Looking for great sound for the price suggestions. I'd be willing to drop around $300-400 total. Thanks.

5. Oct 27, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    I upgraded the HU first while waiting for my speakers to come in and get installed. Kenwood DDX-512 (sonicelectronix.com). Sounded good but after I got my speakers installed ( JL Audio VR series - all around) and a amp (JL Audio G4500) and I very satisfied with the way it sounds. I can turn it up, no distortion, no loss of space from a sub. Some put 6.5 in the front door, I kept a 6x9 to help with giving me bass.

Products Discussed in

To Top