Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Overhead monitor how to install?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
champagne234 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
champagne234's Tacoma Gallery
Overhead monitor how to install?

Ok Heres my problem I recently purchased an overhead/flipdown monitor 15in for my taco double cab. Does anyone know if it is even possible to do so on a tacoma. Ive searched on youtube for videos and googled how to's for some sort of instructions on or how to install it. I have no idea where to begin i called a local audio shop they told me they would not install it due to the size and it would not work. Sooo im begging can someone help me please?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
djjosehernandez is on a distinguished road
Name: jose
djjosehernandez's Tacoma Gallery
everything is possible

i dont have pics on me but have done something like that but with 13 inch i brought down the head liner and centered the flip down were u want it then you mark the holes were u bolt the flip down into and get some mdf cut about the size of the base and mark and pri-drill the same holes and then u mount it the mdf will make good thing cause it will tight between the head liner and the metal on top less rattle do u picture or iam i confusing u im goin to look for the pics of the instal when i did it on a 2001 tacoma
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
so i would have to remove the entire headliner on my truck and cut out a base of a solid material to screw onto the roof itself im scared ill drill through my roof im trying to find a local audio shop but their refusing to install since i did not buy from them!
Old 11-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Male Member
Taco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to behold

Taco Ron's Tacoma Gallery
^ try another shop.

I've helped installed flipdowns in the past and we pulled the headliner, then used a piece of ABS. The ABS screws to the roof crossmembers then you reinstall the headliner and screw your flipdown into the ABS. Just go and get some short screws so you won't go through the roof.

For wiring, you need to pickup power (constant and ignition), ground, and possibly a video signal & sound (if it doesn't have DVD or you want to play video games). I would suggest getting your power from the fuse box instead of tapping into the dome light.

BTW, did they say why the flip down wouldn't work?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
they said it was too large. and that my truck being a midsize the crossmembers on the roof wouldn't be strong enough to hold the bracket made to hold the monitor. Personally i just think they didnt want to do it. the monitor itself has two sets of power and ground one for power and one for the new dome lights! also two sets of inputs. thanks you for your post!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #6
Male Member
Taco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to beholdTaco Ron is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I think they were feeding you a line. If you tackle it yourself, just use a big piece of abs and screw it to 2 or 3 crossmembers. Then distributes the load and sturdies your base.

If you're not comfortable doing it, you can hit up other audio shops.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #7
when you say abs sorry for my lack of knowledge but what type of material is that?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
plastic
Old 11-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Male Member

Yeah, black plastic sheets.