Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

My New Alpine Head Unit!!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ben
BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Talking My New Alpine Head Unit!!

Heres my new stereo: Alpine iDA-X305. After about 3 hrs of working on it, me and my dad finally manged to complete the install. This was our first car stereo install and with the help and info i read on here, I felt confident enough to tackle this on my own, and boy does it feel good! Now the only thing is, I left my brand new creed cd in my old factory stereo! I forgot to take it out, so i guess I might try to hook the old one back up 2moro and get it out. Heres some crappy cell phone pics. Tell me what ya think.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. Is that one of the new Alpines that doesn't have a cd player and only does digital music? I looked at one of those when I bought mine but I went with the CDA-9884 since it was almost Identical to the alpine I had in the accord so I knew where all the buttons were.

Which dash kit is that? I have never seen that one before.

You can just leave the creed cd in the old cd player though. Creed sucks, scott stapp is a douche. But thats just my opinion.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
I knew someone would bash on creed But yeah its only radio and iPod on this one. The display for the iPod works just like a real one. The only thing I wish it had was buttons for presets. You have to select the preset button, then scroll to the one you want. Oh and thats the metra dash kit. It came free when i ordered from crutchfield. it looks identical in color and texture to the stock one
Old 11-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Do you still have to use the knob to scroll through songs/artists/albums/etc like you would with the clickwheel? Thats the one thing I hate. I wish it had a keyboard or something lol so I could press T and it would go to anything that starts with a T...but thats just me being lazy I guess.

I do want to get a remote for mine. I have to lean forward and reach upward to change songs. Other than that I love alpine. I have always had alpine stuff in my cars. My entire setup in my truck is alpine minus the sub which is infinity (I got a killer deal on it on clearance)
Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #6

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is some kind of search where it takes u to the letter of the artist. i need to play around with it more to find out though
Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
BlackRig has a spectacular aura aboutBlackRig has a spectacular aura about

Name: Craig
BlackRig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP_29 View Post
I knew someone would bash on creed But yeah its only radio and iPod on this one. The display for the iPod works just like a real one. The only thing I wish it had was buttons for presets. You have to select the preset button, then scroll to the one you want. Oh and thats the metra dash kit. It came free when i ordered from crutchfield. it looks identical in color and texture to the stock one

That head unit looks cool. Nice install.

Can you swap the dash kit so the little storage cubby is on the top and the head unit it on the bottom? Or is it just one way?
Old 11-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet unit!
Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
tacomapack is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Adam
tacomapack's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great! I just installed a Pioneer single DIN unit in my truck and used the Scosche kit. It doesn't have the texture the Metra kit does but the color matches well. I really like the storage area even though its small on these.

The thing that I don't like already with the Pioneer is the ipod controls. You have to scroll through all the artists to get to what you want to play. Can you keep us updated on the Alpine if you can search by letter? It would be worth it to me to sell the Pioneer on ebay and get a new one. It really sucks when you have a huge library and have to scroll through 100's of artists to get to the 'n's'!
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
I had that in my 08. Best iPod control money can buy.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #11
06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of06Bluez has much to be proud of

06Bluez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomapack View Post
Looks great! I just installed a Pioneer single DIN unit in my truck and used the Scosche kit. It doesn't have the texture the Metra kit does but the color matches well. I really like the storage area even though its small on these.

The thing that I don't like already with the Pioneer is the ipod controls. You have to scroll through all the artists to get to what you want to play. Can you keep us updated on the Alpine if you can search by letter? It would be worth it to me to sell the Pioneer on ebay and get a new one. It really sucks when you have a huge library and have to scroll through 100's of artists to get to the 'n's'!
U cant search by letter. So if you want to listen to soemthing in the middle of the alphabet you have to scroll all the way through. Takes FREAKIN forever!!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #12
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! I've always been a creed fan. Their new CD is pretty good!
Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #13
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #14

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all the compliments guys. So far I really like the head unit. IMO, its the best looking single din by far. Im just abt to go mess with the ipod controls, so gimme a few minutes and ill have some answers abt the search function
Old 11-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #15

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
That head unit looks cool. Nice install.

Can you swap the dash kit so the little storage cubby is on the top and the head unit it on the bottom? Or is it just one way?
And no, you cant switch it to the bottom, its already molded like that from the factory
Old 11-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #16

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Ok guys, I just checked, and theres what I think are 2 effective search methods. You can go to the artist lists and instead of scrolling endlessless to the desired artist, you can push in the knob and rotate it half way. Every time you do a half rotation, it goes to the next first letter of the artist names. The other method is a percentage search. You do the same push in knob, rotate half way to scroll through your lists by the percentage it is. This imo might be a little quicker if your searching for an artist at the bottom of the alphabet, but is also harder to understand unless you have the unit right in front of you. But nonetheless, the controld work almost exactly like a real iPod, and its really easy to use. I highly recommend this head unit
Old 11-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
i was helpin a friend install a new head unit and he forgot the cd inside.. all we did was touch the switched/keyed (yellow i think) power wire to the + on the battery and the black ground to the - on the battery and when it turned of i hit eject.

but all in all looks great. good install.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cars0n` View Post
i was helpin a friend install a new head unit and he forgot the cd inside.. all we did was touch the switched/keyed (yellow i think) power wire to the + on the battery and the black ground to the - on the battery and when it turned of i hit eject.

but all in all looks great. good install.
what he said ^ thats how you can do it without hooking everything back up.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #20

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
but theres no wires in the back of the stock head unit cuz i used a wring harness, which means there behind the current HU. so wheres the wires comin from?