Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Wiring Harness

Old 02-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring Harness

Ok I just wanted to check to make sure I wired my harness correctly. I connected all the wires to each other by color and whether or not they were positive/negative.

I noticed in the instructions from the stereo that it said to ground the black wire to the body of the truck. But I just connect the black wire from my harness to the stereo...is that right?

Also I noticed I had one yellow wire left over coming out of the harness from the stereo with a tag that says "mute". The Scoche wiring harness I had did not have this yellow wire to connect. So I am guessing that I don't you use it? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
colttsi is on a distinguished road
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
You have to ground the wire coming from your stereo to the body directly.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
NOMAD
ANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the rough

ANDYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colttsi View Post
You have to ground the wire coming from your stereo to the body directly.
nooo you dont
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
eeeee....first of all, very constructive comment, if not where should he ground it and second of all, ground your wire coming from stereo directly to the body with an already existing bolt or nut.
You will avoid one very common trouble people have with a bad ground which is the sound cutting when your volume is too high.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
No need to chassis ground on an 05+ Tacoma. Just connect all the like colored wires. The stock wiring already has a ground wire.

Don't worry about the Yellow/Black wire. Thats to mute the radio if you have a car phone that has that output option. When you get a call it will mute the radio. Most people don't have car phones like that anymore.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 AM   #6
NOMAD
ANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the roughANDYTACOMA is a jewel in the rough

ANDYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
eeeee....first of all, very constructive comment, if not where should he ground it and second of all, ground your wire coming from stereo directly to the body with an already existing bolt or nut.
You will avoid one very common trouble people have with a bad ground which is the sound cutting when your volume is too high.
we'll like pb said use the ground in the wiring harness (THE BLACK WIRE)
I Have had mine installed for 2 years that way and have had no problems

-just my .02
Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 AM   #7
colttsi's Tacoma Gallery
I know there is a black wire from the harness that is a ground but in his post, he said that the instructions told him to chassis ground the wire so he could do it. People who have a relatively big sound system ground it directly to the chassis to save trouble. Didn't want to cause trouble. Enjoy your sound system!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know there is a black wire from the harness that is a ground but in his post, he said that the instructions told him to chassis ground the wire so he could do it. People who have a relatively big sound system ground it directly to the chassis to save trouble. Didn't want to cause trouble. Enjoy your sound system!
I've heard that the stock stereo ground is not as good as it could be. Doesn't make much sense to me though, because big sound systems don't use as much power from their head unit(they'll depend on an external amp), thus the ground wire does not need to be huge.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
LOL. I have no clue where some of these theories come from.

Just use the stock ground wire. Your radio also gets grounded through the FM antenna plug. So dont worry about it. As a previous professional car audio installer I installed hundreds of radios in cars. The stock ground works fine. Some older chryslers ground the radio through the radios chassis and then through a metal bracket or strap. But Toyotas just use a wire and it works fine.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
got it installed, just connected all the colors together.....my taco jams now! thanks.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.
billas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant futurebillas333 has a brilliant future

Name: Joel
billas333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to billas333
So I mucked up my mute wire from the Avicz110bt when doing the bypass. I guess technically this wire is obsolete with Bluetooth now so do i even need to worry about hooking it back up?

I know I need to route the parking brake wire to ground but the mute wire seems well moot haha

Help!