LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

My Deadening Project

Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #22
I'd rather be diving than working..
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

UpstateTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Upstate Tacoma, last time I checked, RAAMAudio didn't offer a noise barrier like MLV. That's key in an install like ours. Ordering a bunch of mat deadener (CLD tile stuff) wont block noise but simply kill vibrations.

Our trucks suffer from road noise predominantly from the floor and doors. It's not enough to just use deadener, you need a noise barrier too.

And I think it should be noted that the $478 price tag is if you're doing EVERY part of the car like I did. That's to say, all 4 doors, floor, rear wall, and the roof too. Do you need to do all that? It's up to you. My standards are quite high and I deemed it necessary since I'll be competing with the truck. Everyone always asks me "How much is enough?" but it's tricky because it is dependent on your standards. 99% of vehicle owners will never even think about automotive sound deadening so to say that X amount is needed would be foolish.

I had told Don to take a look at what I ordered from him for my install to come up with that package for you guys to simplify everything. Like I said, I went overkill but it's in my nature
I thought the ensolite that RaamAudio offered was the noise barrior. Yes the Raam Mat was the vibration supressor, but the ensolite was supposed to be the noise barrior. After i installed it, it was way quiter, i dont hear the road noise and my stereo with stock speakers sounds good.

From Raam Audio product page

Quote:
Ensolite, a very durable, light weight, closed cell foam is the ideal sound absorbing material for automotive applications. Most products sold for this purpose are outrageously expensive leading many DIYers to use inferior materials that do the job, but can’t stand up to your car’s harsh environment. Jute and the open celled foams you can buy in a craft shop absorb moisture, leading to mildew and nasty odors. Some “improvised” solutions even present a fire hazard.
Our Ensolite sheeting is the ideal solution. Very reasonable cost, available in the quantities you need and easy to apply with our spray adhesive.
Please order a minimum of 2 yards.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #23
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateTacoma View Post
I thought the ensolite that RaamAudio offered was the noise barrior. Yes the Raam Mat was the vibration supressor, but the ensolite was supposed to be the noise barrior. After i installed it, it was way quiter, i dont hear the road noise and my stereo with stock speakers sounds good.

From Raam Audio product page
Ensolite is a closed cell foam. It's decent for high frequency barriers but road noise is anything but. For road noise you need to get closer to the 1lb per sqft zone for real noise blocking. That's where MLV comes in. Ensolite, by definition (being light) doesn't work well blocking lower frequencies like road noise. It's like using a screw driver instead of a drill to build a deck; the screw driver will help a little but it's not the proper tool for the job.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #24
I'd rather be diving than working..
UpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedUpstateTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

UpstateTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Ensolite is a closed cell foam. It's decent for high frequency barriers but road noise is anything but. For road noise you need to get closer to the 1lb per sqft zone for real noise blocking. That's where MLV comes in. Ensolite, by definition (being light) doesn't work well blocking lower frequencies like road noise. It's like using a screw driver instead of a drill to build a deck; the screw driver will help a little but it's not the proper tool for the job.

Ahh well i am hearing impaired anyways since i wear the hearing aids so I guess the ensolite works good for me becasue i can tell a difference between not having it and having it. haha I guess sometimes i am thanksful that i am hard of hearing, otherwise i would of never met my hot wife..
Old 12-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #25
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I guess sometimes i am thanksful that i am hard of hearing, otherwise i would of never met my hot wife..
Everything happens for a reason; and that sounds (no pun) like it
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 AM   #26
machman is on a distinguished road

Navy: MR2
machman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha I guess sometimes i am thanksful that i am hard of hearing, otherwise i would of never met my hot wife..
There is one thing that I have learned in my 37 years on this earth; many things in life are a "trade off". Looks like (didn't want to use "sound like" in your case) your on the winning side of that trade.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM   #27
IRDCTACO will become famous soon enough
IRDCTACO's Tacoma Gallery
ItalynStylion,

Did you ever get the chance to compare your truck with a non deadened truck yet? I'm still up in the air in regards to using the MLV. I really don't find the road noise to be that offensive. I do find the wind noise to be pretty bad at interstate speeds so I was curious in regards to the difference your work has affected wind noise.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #28
Opinions Vary...
ThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedThreeMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThreeMan's Tacoma Gallery
To deaden or not to deaden

I used the same materials as IS. My suggestion is to do it. If you are tearing the truck apart anyways, might as well do it right the first time. As far as wind noise, all I get is the sound from the windows. Other than that, just the tires on concrete sections gets a little louder. I will take some video when I get a chance.

Good luck,

G3
Old 02-01-2010, 09:18 AM   #29
Sounds Gooooood

I've not had a chance yet to do any real testing. I was in radio shack the other day and I ALMOST bought the SPL meeter I'd need to do the testing. Wind noise is certainly the most amount of noise I get for sure. All from the windows/mirror areas. I'm thinking of a fix for that as well but it's tricky.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #30
gokiburi is on a distinguished road
gokiburi's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Tacomaniacs! Stumbled across this post while researching my own sound deadening project (for a Honda car), and wanted to thank ItalianStylion and weigh in as well. My advice is - USE MLV!

I had reached the point in my install where I would either simply re-install the carpet over the Second Skin constrained layer damper and closed cell foam, or add a layer of MLV.

Like some of you, I debated the use of MLV (more money, not sure of the benefits, hard to source, etc.). I decided to go all out. I found a good deal on MLV at Super Soundproofing http://www.soundproofing.org/. I installed the MLV on just the floors about a week ago, and the difference was *very* noticeable vs. CLD and 1/4" foam only. I have yet to do the doors, but I expect even more improvement from that step.

My advice is that if you are going to go to all the misery of ripping your interior out, just do it right. The MLV is well worth the effort - unless you're some kind of hypermiler, but then you wouldn't want those heavy subs and amps, either. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #31
IRDCTACO will become famous soon enough
IRDCTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious to see if anyone else has tried this yet: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ind-noise.html

I know that MLV + CCF is the way to go but I'm having more fun designing a penny pinching system than what I'd regularly install. To fully soundproof the truck, I'd end up spending more than the sysytem itself. Besides, the truck really doesn't have that much road noise IMO, but the wind noise is pretty bad.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #32
Sounds Gooooood

I've thought about doing something similar but I've been a bit tied up. Give it a shot and report back man. Let us know if it's worth it.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #33
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRDCTACO View Post
Just curious to see if anyone else has tried this yet: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ind-noise.html

I know that MLV + CCF is the way to go but I'm having more fun designing a penny pinching system than what I'd regularly install. To fully soundproof the truck, I'd end up spending more than the sysytem itself. Besides, the truck really doesn't have that much road noise IMO, but the wind noise is pretty bad.
I have done the wind noise weather stipping. For me it is well worth it.
The key is to get the right profile of stripping, color match, and adhesive prep. Result, wind noise much reduced and for me dust proofed for my desert travels.

The remaining (wind/road?) noise I need to address is the rear cab wall. This may have been increased by my shell ....
This thread gives me ideas for that project. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #34
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I missed it, but what was all involved in removing the center console and carpet once the seats were out?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #35
Sounds Gooooood

Here is the post that I looked at before taking it apart. Very helpful
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...al-w-pics.html
Old 08-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #36
Plick1221 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Plick1221's Tacoma Gallery
Great Post! ItalynStylion you did an excellent job. This is the only way to properly quiet your vehicle. It takes mass to block noise ex. road noise transmitted thru the floor. The company that I work for manufactures these materials, and I deal with noise and vibration control on a daily basis. He does know what he is talking about. Products similar to Hushmat and Dynamat are only a damping layer. They do have some weight and mass, but not like a mass loaded vinyl.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #37
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxhansen View Post
Why did you leave that round cross bar alone?
Check out the pictures directly afterward. I filled it with silicone.

Quote:
So that cross bar in the door is quite interesting. Interesting in the fact that it's not for safety (too flimsy) and it has nothing bolted to it even though it has some holes in it. Not only that, as the next picture suggests with my awesome piece of example paper; it's not even fully attached to the door. There are small blobs of soft glue spaced about 6" apart that glue it to the outer door skin. So I, being the opportunist that I am, realized this had potential for greatness. I've always viewed GE Silicone II as a miracle substance and this was the perfect time to use one of the 4 tubes I happened to have in the garage. I ended up injecting the silicone into the holes to fill up the cross bar and connect it to the outer door skin. I went along the top and bottom seams as well. This should effectively turn that useless piece of metal into a fantastic brace! It will really help out with the resonance issues and should bolster the panel quite well. I would not recommend using anything that dries ridged for this purpose since it does not allow any movement and could buckle the door. GE Silicone II is flexible, bonds to ANY surface, and is waterproof and mold resistant; perfect for the inside of a car door.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #38
Sounds Gooooood

Thought I posted this before but maybe I forgot. Crude but you get the idea. It wont be like that with the stereo on loud but it's a hell of a lot quieter than it would normally be.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #39
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
My deadening was about the same as IS's and Id rate it as moderate. You definately can tell its deadened but its no where near DEAD or luxury car quiet. Mostly other cars around me are half as loud, my car's engine is half as loud, wind noise stayed the same, maybe 10% reduction. Can t tell yet. I used a sandwich of 1/8" foam, MLV, 1/8" foam on the doors vs all the foam on one side. I also did the roof with tiles and a sheet of 1/8" foam. I still need to put the drivers rear panel back on to get real results though cause there is no seal on the bottom of that door... its part of the door panel. Maybe I will think differently once that gets back on. Still have the primary noise which is the wind near the side mirror at 40+ MPH. You also cant deaden the glass which is where most of the noise gets in. I can feel the added 100 pounds to my vehicle too but I will add way more weight with other offroad accessories and I had become acustomed to driving with my whole interior removed except the driver's seat so it felt real light. Lots of noise gets transmitted directly through the chasis into the vehicle when you driuve over things. Notice other things like the dash rattling more where I didnt notice it before. IMO it certainly helps but the cars metal and glass thickness and double vs triple sealed doors limits the effectivenss. Its not like you cant tell but IMO its not amazing either.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 AM   #40
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
how hard is it to remove the ceiling
Not hard...but time consuming. The wires stuck to it are a pain in the ass once you FINALLY get it to drop. And getting it to drop takes the removal of EVERYTHING!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csuviper View Post
Wait, Double Cabs dont have a rear pressure vent? There is an imprint where it should be, right in the center of the rear panel. I have an access cab with a vent and am annoyed from the road noise. Blocking it up causes noticable pressure in the cab. How do the double cabs get away without this?
Nope, we sure don't! I noticed that too when I was stripping everything. And to answer your question; there is noticeable pressure. When you're going and you turn on the AC you can feel it. It also makes the doors harder to close when you don't have a window or another door open. The truck is quite literally air tight.