Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

My Deadening Project

Old 02-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #41
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
1. Road noise does not enter through the roof.

2. Closed cell foam does not block sound. It stops or isolates vibrations and is a thermal insulator.

3. The only thing that can BLOCK sound is MASS. Preferably a continuous, uninterupted layer of mass.

4. Constrained layer vibration dampners (like Dynamt etc) have mass, but are not cost effective for the necessary weight/mass to block sound.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #42
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
After finishing the whole install of the dynamat in the headliner, all 4 doors, and back wall there is a noticable difference in the sound qualilty of all speakers. My door speakers sound a lot better. I even had to retune them. Now when I close my doors they "thud" instead of "clank!" Now all I have to do is the floor board and the MLV afterwords. I will let you know how much it helps on top of the dynamat. Thanks again for the detailed instructions. They helped a lot!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #43
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by linwoodm View Post
Is there any place that would have it locally?
Dunno, I bought mine from sounddeadenershowdown.com but shipping is steep. Also use 1/8" foam from the rear floorboard on back. I had a hell of a time getting the underseat storage back in with 1/4" foam and I still have a buckle in my carpet on the sides due to the tight fit. You only need 1/8" back there. Reattaching the seat plastic covers for the seat bolts on the backs of the rear seat anchors is also a huge pain in the ass with the 1/4" foam in the front half. Im almost tempted to reccomend 1/8" foam everywhere.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #44
Gundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to beholdGundy315 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jason
Gundy315's Tacoma Gallery
I got a big ass roll of MLV from an insulation & fireplace materials wholesaler in Houston (where I live). They carried rolls in 2-3 different densities. http://www.perfectionwholesale.com/sound-control.html

I'm sure you can find similar companies that carry the stuff in most major cities. MLV isn't really an auto-specific material. People have been using it in building walls for sound proofing for a while.

It wasn't cheap, but it cost less than getting it from SDS, plus I didn't have to pay to ship a 100+ lb. roll of material halfway across the country. I got all my other materials from SDS. I got the stuff for my wife's car, but I ordered extra material to do my taco after I finish with her ride.

EDIT: This is a company that actually makes the MLV... and a list of their distributor locations across the country: http://www.soundisolationcompany.com.../distributors/
Old 04-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #45
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So I finally got around to doing my floor with CCF and MLV. I didn't notice much of a difference in road noise, but damn does the system sound better!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #46
I love your mom!

So I finally finished the whole deadening project. I did reread through this thread and used the JL Audio SPL meeter on my iPhone, although not VERY accurate, it was roughly 5-7 DB quieter doing 70 mph in my truck after the deadening. It messured 77.8 on the drive prior and 71-72 after. Most defenately noticeable without the meter though! System sounds AMAZING!!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #47
andoskyy is on a distinguished road
andoskyy's Tacoma Gallery
figured i'd chime in. i picked up a 1996 tacoma as a secondary vehicle so didn't want to spend a lot of money going all out on deadening.

i found some very reasonably priced "Dynomat" on ebay and followed that with a layer of yoga mat. you can pick up a yoga mat for ~$5 at any discount store. Took me 50 sq feet of "Dynomat" and 3 yoga mats to cover everything except the headliner in my extended cab. A yoga mat is a closed cell foam...and reasonably priced.

my primary car is a Lexus IS350. Does the Tacoma now sound like it? no. but it sounds better than it did before. road noise is still the same, but it is night and day more solid over bumps, and the stereo sounds better. the doors now close with a solid thud, with no tinny/flimsy feel to them.

I would do this again in a heartbeat for the $100 it cost me. Seeing its not my primary vehicle and just a toy, i wanted the best bang for the buck...and i feel like i got it.

From what I've read, MLV is the way to go. One site I read compared the effects of MLV to lead. Imagine what a layer of lead all around your truck would do...and MLV does that at a fraction of the cost.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #48
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
What happened to all the pics in this thread?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #49
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously what happened to this thread, may as well delete it with out pics.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #50
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdhPrb06t8
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #51
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzRMA...el_video_title
Old 10-07-2011, 07:53 PM   #52
Hot Steppa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4GxjLaWVY?version=3
Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #53
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbs204 View Post
What happened to all the pics in this thread?
since Pinktaco seems to not understand the question...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ty-tacoma.html
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #54
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Man, that guy has a good lookin truck!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #55

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post

Yeah, sweet that is exactly what i was looking for , thanks!!
These used to be in this thread.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #56
Hot Steppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post

what are you talking about? I didnt even say anything and was helping out with that with headliner removal
Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #57
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Woah.....hold the phone. I just realized this was MY thread. What the heck happened to my entire writeup? I'm pisssed! Someone better have some friggin answers!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #58

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Woah.....hold the phone. I just realized this was MY thread. What the heck happened to my entire writeup? I'm pisssed! Someone better have some friggin answers!
yeah right, this was a sweet thread.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #59
Sounds Gooooood

I think I see what happened. I think one of the mods (in an attempt to make a bad-A DIY sticky) accidentally moved the post instead of copying it.

Check out the thread here. It's a sticky at the top of this forum.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...iy-thread.html
Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #60
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Yo Dawg, I heard you liked your thread, so I put your thread, in your thread.