1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Budget of $600

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Turfman, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Nov 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    Turfman

Turfman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Got a budget of $600, want the best combinations of subs and amps possible for 600 or less.

2. Nov 10, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    JTaco386

JTaco386 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    There is a couple of members on here selling their subs, boxes and amp. You will need a slim sub with a shallow mounting depth. There is a website that is called tech12volts.com I think. He builds custom enclosures and sells packages at reasonable prices. Check it out.

3. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    hsc001

hsc001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    laurel, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road lifted
    BHLM, 3" toytec coilovers, blacked out billet grille, hella 500's behind grille, volant CAI, Dual flowmasters 40's, HID, DTLT
    check your local craigslist and look for jl w7 in box with amp, or kicker l7 in box with amp. best bet if you know about subs and stuff.

4. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The best doesn't exist, it's too subjective. What you like will likely be different from what I like.

Now, are you looking for new with warranty, new questionable warranty, used? Are you building your own box, doing your own installation, have required wiring... we'd need more information about what you are trying to do and what you have to work with to make more accurate recommendations.

5. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    Turfman

Turfman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Sport
    new or used and im looking to get a box from *********.com, and I also have to get new wiring. Just trying to get some ideas on good combinations.

6. Nov 11, 2009 at 6:56 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Just look around for deals.

I spent about $800 on my setup
    -Alpine CDA-9884 headunit. Was a display model at a brand new best buy store that had only been open for 3 months and they took it down to put in the new year model units.
    -Alpine 4 Channel amp (brand new)
    -6.5" Alpine Type-S components for the front (brand new)
    -no rear speakers
    -10" infinity reference sub (got it on clearance since the new year models were coming out)
    -Amp wiring and new speaker wires for the components

built my own custom box and amp rack with some spare MDF I had in the garage.

I wasn't looking for a competition SPL setup by any means just something that would have a nice full sound so I can enjoy my music. I love all kinds of music so I have to have an upgraded stereo system.

When I bought my taco I pulled it in the garage and replaced the stereo within a few hours of bringing it home.

7. Nov 11, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I would avoid *********, as they have become very suspect as of late.

If you are somewhat handy with a saw, you ought to be able to build a decent box on your own. I personally suck at cutting lumber, so I had Marv build my box. He is fantastic guy to work with.

If warranty isn't a huge concern for you, then check out sonicelectronix.com I haven't had any issues with them for the few items that I have ordered. Crutchfield sometimes has some good deals, but for the most part you are buying customer service from them. They rarely have the best price to be found, but thier customer service after the sale is second to none. You can search good quality products and narrow it down based on functions you want, ipod control, sat radio, HD radio, aux ports, whatever. If you order from crutchfield, they will throw in the installation accessories that you need, which is typically around $50 worth of crap no one thinks about before hand and that cheaper places online will charge you in part or all when you order.

For wiring, I am a huge fan of knukonceptz.com Great products, good customer service, super cheesy name. But, end of the day, you will won't see much of it, but it will certainly serve its purpose.

Brands to look at, HU's I don't think you can beat the quality and functionality of the mid range Pioneer units. Something around $150-250 should give you everything you could want for that price point. For subs, the Pioneer shallow mounts are impressive, especially for the money. I prefer Image Dynamics IDQ 10's. They, are IMO, the best bang for the buck available. However, for you $600 budget, you might not be able to get them and have room for a box, wiring and HU. Amps, I don't put much stock into spending a lot of money on amps. Although, the Alpine PDX amps are sweet, you won't be able to get them in your budget with room to do anything else. I'd personally look at a 4 or 5 channel amp. Something from a decent brand shouldn't be too hard to find. A 4 or 5 channel should be easier for you to install, cut down on some extra wiring costs and provide your system a decent base with easy room for expansion.

I might be a bit sidetracked, do you have a HU or are you planning on using the stock HU? There is cost associated with either route you take.

8. Nov 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM
    Turfman

Turfman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lance
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner TRD Sport
    I was planning on just using the stock HU, and yea im thinking of getting Mr. Marv to make a box for me if he can. Do i really need a 4-5 channel amp tho? talked to this one guy and he said all I needed was a mono amp.

Products Discussed in

To Top