Notices

Component Speakers Wiring

Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
tacomapack is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Adam
tacomapack's Tacoma Gallery
Component Speakers Wiring

I'm getting ready to install component speakers in my front doors and need a little help with the wiring. I will probably add an amp down the road but it's not in the cards right now. Looking at the stock wiring I am confused as to which wires to connect to the new crossover. I see a blue and a green wire going to the lower speaker and also that the stock tweeter has a crossover of some sort wired right onto it, but can't tell exactly which two wires are coming from the headunit. I did a search on here but didn't really find a clear answer. Hopefully someone has used components and kept the stock harness...

Happy Veterans Day!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
I feel for ya man, I have the same problem. Dude before me butchered everything and I cant get any sound off my new deck. Lights up real nice. The aftermarket harness that I bought from Bestbuy is what I used , but somewhere theres a problem. The wires on both sides of the doors are blue and green. The stock diagram says something about pink and violet. Nowhere to be found. O
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
when i did mine i ran new wires from the back of the HU to the crossover. I didnt feel like messing with the tiny stock wires
Old 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomapack View Post
I'm getting ready to install component speakers in my front doors and need a little help with the wiring. I will probably add an amp down the road but it's not in the cards right now. Looking at the stock wiring I am confused as to which wires to connect to the new crossover. I see a blue and a green wire going to the lower speaker and also that the stock tweeter has a crossover of some sort wired right onto it, but can't tell exactly which two wires are coming from the headunit. I did a search on here but didn't really find a clear answer. Hopefully someone has used components and kept the stock harness...

Happy Veterans Day!
The tweeters just tap off the main speaker wire after the white plug and run in parallel with the main speaker. Here's a simple wiring diagram. The arrow points to the disconnect at the door. The wires are blue/green on one side and red/black on the other.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
I ran new wires for my components, it sucks but it's the best thing to do.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
tacomapack is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: Adam
tacomapack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
The tweeters just tap off the main speaker wire after the white plug and run in parallel with the main speaker. Here's a simple wiring diagram. The arrow points to the disconnect at the door. The wires are blue/green on one side and red/black on the other.
Great diagram Evilmonkey! Thanks! Where the two sets of wires come in and go out of the white plug, it's hard to tell which is which the way they have them twisted and taped together. They basically are wrapped around each other and weave in and out over a long run. I found a "lightly" used JL Audio amp on ebay that I'm going to run. It's funny how a simple coax speaker upgrade for the front doors has turned into a new head unit, already moving those coax's to the rear doors, new components for the front, and a 4 channel amp. I won't add a sub... I won't add a sub... damnit!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
silverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilverback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
silverback's Tacoma Gallery
thanks fellas, thats exactly what I'll do re-wire from HU. One question do I just run a set of wires +\- to both crossovers in the doors from the HU and then from each crossover wire the two component speakers? I think I just realized I answered my own question. Damn 12 hour shifts. The stock wires are pretty skimpy looking.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
That's what I did. Plenty of room in the door for the crossovers I used and it means less wires through the door tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback View Post
thanks fellas, thats exactly what I'll do re-wire from HU. One question do I just run a set of wires +\- to both crossovers in the doors from the HU and then from each crossover wire the two component speakers? I think I just realized I answered my own question. Damn 12 hour shifts. The stock wires are pretty skimpy looking.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Get Routy
The Mega is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
The Mega's Tacoma Gallery
so do you tap in to the wires from the woofer or from the tweeter? And if I decide to run speaker wire from the HU do I run it with the factory harness? Thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mega View Post
so do you tap in to the wires from the woofer or from the tweeter? And if I decide to run speaker wire from the HU do I run it with the factory harness? Thanks
You can use the woofer wires, but the tweeter will still be in the circuit unless you remove the wires to the tweeter. You can also cut out the white plug and splice the like-colored wires together and it will cut the tweeter and the plug out of the circuit. No need to run new wires.