1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone replace their HU in a 2009 Taco?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NuovoTech, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 20, 2009 at 3:41 AM
    billyjoe

billyjoe Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    The following is a schematic for a 2006 Scion xB:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/9489/radioct5.gif

Assuming one Toyota is the same as the next, the 20-pin connector (R3) appears to be used solely for the Steering Wheel audio controls and the AUX-IN.

Connector Retainer Clip Here
    ------------------------------------------------
    | 10 | 09 | 08 | 07 | 06 | 05 | 04 | 03 | 02 | 01 |
    |----------------------------------------------|
    | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 |
    ------------------------------------------------ Wire End of connector (Not Plug-In End)

1:
    2:
    3: SPD (Auto Speed Level) Violet/White from E7-8 (ECM) or C9-19 (Combination meter)
    4:
    5:
    6: SWG (Steering wheel - GND) White/Red
    7: SW1 (Steering wheel - Seek+/-, Vol+/-) Violet/White
    8: SW2 (Steering wheel - Mode) Yellow/Black
    9:
    10:
    11:
    12:
    13:
    14:
    15: ARI (Audio Right IN) Black
    16: ASGN (Audio Signal GND) Red
    17: ALI (Audio Left IN) White
    18: AGND (Shield) Bare (wrapped black tape)
    19: AUXI (Aux-In Enable) Blue
    20:

The pinout & function is from the schematic. The colors are from your photos.

I own a '05 Taco in which I swapped the base version HU with one from an '09. I now want to connect an AUX-IN jack to the '09 HU. So I'm quite interested to confirm the wiring as indicated above.

Since you were expressing doubt as to why there were 5 wires coming from your AUX-IN jack, I've included the info below depicting all 5 connections:

Right (Jack Ring) ------------ 15
    Signal GND (Jack Sleeve) ---- 16
    Left (Jack Tip) -------------- 17
    Aux Enable ------------------ 19 (shunt to Aux GND w/2.76k Resistor to enable)
    Aux Enable ------------------ 19 (shunt to Aux GND w/15.05k Resistor to disable)
    Aux GND -------------------- 18

The above is the distillation of info I gleaned from numerous searches. However, you are the guys with actual '09s so I would much appreciate it if you could verify the above.

Also, you may find the link below to be informative regarding the components of the AUX-IN cable to the HU:

http://www.toyotapart.com/NOISE_FROM_AUXILIARY_PORT_WITH_EXTERNAL_DEVICE_T-SB-0067-08.pdf

This TSB indicates there is an inline noise filter between the jack & the HU. Th noise filter is most likely an audio isolation transformer to eliminate ground loop noise.

If one of you could provide a schematic of an '09 Tacoma AUX-IN Jack itself as well as confirm the pinout & wiring of the 20-pin connector, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks In Advance!

2. Nov 20, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    NuovoTech

NuovoTech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    My Haynes manual only has a very generic schematic of the audio system, ie nothing about the aux input jack. The 2009 Tacos do have a powered noise filter.

Thanx for all that info! I'll tear into my dash when the rain slows down some here in Seattle & report back what I find about the aux input(I don't have stg whl control) harness. I also expect epa4wd to report back as soon as he gets his aux input harness in the mail. :D

3. Nov 20, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Clazzio Seat Covers OR Wheels 40% tint Side Steps KC Fog Lights
    good info billyjoe, I thought the harness was at the post office yesterday turns out it was a catalog :( hope its here next week.

4. Nov 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    BillyJoe - Took out my OEM HU, so here's the pinout/wiring... :D

08:Strg Wheel?-Violet/white

15:Audio Right In(mid)-Black
    16:Audio Ground(base)-Red
    17:Audio Left In(top)-White
    18:Shield-Wrapped Black
    19:Aux Input Enable-Blue

epa4wd - Scosche is mailing me an aux input harness. They said there's a resistor(used by Prius) on one of the wires that needs to be clipped off. I'm also adding a USB input & rear speakers behind the seats. :cool:

5. Nov 21, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Thanks NuovoTech! I'll give it a try with a direct connect (no inline noise filter).

Odd that the Tacoma varies from the Scion with regard to Right-In and Signal GND pins. Just goes to show ya, never trust anything but the real deal.

BTW, Was it one of you in this thread that cited a source & part # for the pins to insert into Toyota's 20-pin connector? :confused:

6. Nov 21, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    That was for the pins in the OEM rear spkr harness(#82998-12340) which are spade type. I just looked at my OEM aux input harness, it uses smaller pin type connectors. The aux input 20-pin housing connector is part #90980–12259, you would have to call Toyota with that # for a terminal repair wire that snaps into that harness. You'd need 3 of them, they're about 6" long with a connector crimped on one end & they'll cost ~$6 each:)eek:)! You could connect those 3 wires to any cord with a 3.5mm stereo connector on the other end & mount anywhere. :cool:

BTW what did you buy your 2009 used OEM HU for? I'll be selling my OEM HU soon to someone like you & wondered what price was fair. I'll check my aux input wires between the harness & my dash mounted aux input with a VOMeter today. That way I can verify the aux-in wire color codes & report back here. :D

7. Nov 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    BillyJoe - Verified the wire code with a VOM, basically your 1st post was correct, so much for using EIA code. I edited my 11/20 post... :D

8. Nov 21, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    NuovoTech - I paid $125 + shipping thru eBay. This was for a single-cd "base" unit (as opposed to a 6-disc changer "base" unit or the "JBL" unit that uses a separate amp). It appears the majority of demand is for the 6-disc base unit.

Out of curiousity, have you had any problems with your 2009 radio? There's a thread on TW that makes it evident numerous people have experienced weird behaivor right off the dealer lot (turns off/on & changes channels, etc. all by itself).

Thanks for double-checking the 20-pin connector wiring. I feel better knowing that it agrees with the Toyota (Scion) schematic. The question I have yet is whether a current limiting resistor (2.2k ohms) to GND is needed for the AUX-In Enable pin. I believe someone mentioned Scosche said to "clip the resistor off their harness" as this was only needed for the Prius. Makes me wonder now about our HU. Any chance that you could measure any resistance with your VOM between pin 19 (AUXI) of 20-pin connector to either pin 16 (ASGN) or pin 18 (SHLD)?

Thanks for the 20-pin housing part # and suggestion for aquiring pin connectors. I'll be calling Toyota on Monday.

Not sure what to think about your Violet/White wire on pin 8. Refering to my 11/20 post, this is what I would expect to see:

6: SWG (Steering wheel - GND) White/Red
    7: SW1 (Steering wheel - Seek+/-, Vol+/-) Violet/White
    8: SW2 (Steering wheel - Mode) Yellow/Black

Thanks Again!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Nov 22, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    NuovoTech - I did find the following schematic depicting a Violet/White wire on pin-3 of the 20-pin connector.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/6275/antenna2rv6.jpg

This is for a Speed input which I'm guessing raises or lowers the volume based on your speed. I used to have an Expedition that had this feature. I know you said pin-8 but if you reverse the ordering, what you consider as pin-8 could actually be pin-3 instead. See my previous post for correct orientation of the pins.

Speaking of pins, I found the part # for the pins of the 20-pin connector - its 82998-12750. This is a "Terminal Repair Kit" for the 20-pin connector (90980-12259). It's only $16.40 MSRP which means you can get it online for less than $12.

BTW any chance you would be willing to trace out your AUX-IN Jack PCB? Apparently, there are 2 surface-mount resistors inside. I'd like to see the schematic for the internals. I'm wondering if maybe they have something to do with the AUX Enable line...

10. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    I think you're right, the 2009 HU does have ASL(Auto Speed Level), I did use it. My new HU does not have ASL, so I can forget about that wire! It is pin# 3, I had the top row backwards... :eek:

Nope, I will not be pulling that lower Aux Input out. It's too hard working down there, unless you take apart the whole middle dash...no way do I want to do that! I will check for resistance tho. That enabled device is a noise filter, the Blue(+) & wrapped Black(-) supply 12VDC power to it. A Crutchfield tech knew about Toyota using one, tho he thought it would not effect volume levels? He suggested 1st try it w/o power, then with, to see which works best. See below links for more info...
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/34040-2009-wiring-help-who-has-diagram.html
    http://www.toyotapart.com/NOISE_FROM_AUXILIARY_PORT_WITH_EXTERNAL_DEVICE_T-SB-0067-08.pdf

No problems at present, I only have 1500 miles on my Tacoma. I heard there's a TSB on that issue. :rolleyes:

11. Nov 22, 2009 at 4:08 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    BillyJoe - I tested resistance between upper & lower aux input leads. Only abnormal reading was between pin#16(red) on upper connector & base of inserted jack down below. For some reason there's 1 ohm of resistance? :confused:

Those aux input repair wires are only $16.40 each? :eek: Below is what they look like...

82998-12340.jpg
    82998-12750.jpg

12. Nov 24, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Look what I received today!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is definitely the plug we were looking for, now we just have to see if it works.

NuovoTech I don't see a resistor in the harness I received, I hope that they didn't sent you the harness for installing aftermarket radio on the Prius I think that harness does have a resistor in it. LMK when you get it.

13. Nov 24, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    I think Scosche is sending me the same harness from their Prius dashkit, which is mainly for adding an aftermarket HU. Otherwise, one would not need an extra harness(& dashkit) if they were continuing to use the OEM HU. I suspect there's a small resistor in that taped area with the red/wht/blk wires heading into those RCA plugs. Do you have a MultiMeter to test those leads for in-line resistance? ;)

Did you look over that TSB...pdf I posted the above link to? Anyhow, here's the pertinent info from Toyota that relates to our Tacomas:
    IMO the "improved auxiliary and in-line filter" they're talking about is exactly what we have in our 2009 lower dash aux-input connector. Therefore as Scosche stated(below) we do not need that extra resistor wired into our harness's they sent us. I for one will clip it out, as I only want the connector to go directly from my aftermarket HU aux-input wires to the OEM aux-input dash harness. :D
    I will probably also hook the power up to that below aux-input filter, mainly because I have no way to adequately test it. IE it needs a MP3 player connected to the aux-input while being charged from the vehicle's 12VDC power outlet. My MP3 player will not play & charge at the same time. :rolleyes:

14. Nov 24, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    What I meant is that scosche has two kits, one for adding an aftermarket headunit (harness for power and speakers only), and a dash kit which also includes the AUX In harness adapter.

I removed the heatshrink there is no resistor there...

15. Nov 24, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    epa4wd - I got the same harness from Scosche today, I found no resistor's inline on the wires, so not sure what they meant? The harness pins do need to re-shuffled a bit, especially since I have no Strg Whl Controls. So I removed the SWC wires & reused 2 of the for the Noise Filter leads. They come out very easily, I inserted a small straight(sewing) pin into the small rectangular hole just above the protuding wire pin in the male(open) side of the new harness. Then I pulled the wire & pin out the backside. I assume you read my info about the red(ASGN) & black(ARI) wires I posted above in responce to billjoe's diagram. The HU & harness uses EIA wire codes, Toyota uses their own code, so I'm crossing them. The new harness helps make it a clean install, thanx for your tip on that!!! :D

ARI_: HU(red) -> harness(red) -> OEM connector(blk)
    ASGN: HU(blk) -> harness(blk) -> OEM connector(red)

16. Nov 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    Pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also checked for resistance with a multimeter found none.

I've read that when installing an aftermarket radio on a prius there is a resistance on aftermarket harness so that the climate control operates property, but those pins are not related in anyway to the AUX in pins.

17. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    Yeah, he must of confused the 2 harness's...but he did send me the correct one. Thanx again for all your help!!! :D

18. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR
    I got a bit lost there can you post/explain the info again? :eek:
    Take some pics when you install it, I probably won't be able to do it till next week so I'm sure you will get to it first.:D Im happy about how this thread turned out good info!!!!

I look forward to giving results to scosche I hope they make it part of one of their kits for the tacoma.

19. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    NuovoTech

Member:
    Upper Left Corner
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x2
    epa4wd - Below are the pin assignments on my OEM dash aux-input harness, forget about #8:, it's used to control the volume level by truck speed on the OEM HU. :cool:

19:Aux Input Enable-Blue
    18:Shield-Wrapped Black
    16:Audio Ground(base)-Red
    15:Audio Right In(mid)-Black
    08:AutoSpdLevel-Violet/white

Here's the Scosche harness & my new HU's assignments:

16:Audio Ground(base)-Black
    15:Audio Right In(mid)-Red

So what I did was run the HU's red wire to the red wire on the Sco harness. Then I ran run the HU's black wire to the black wire on the Sco harness. Then when I plug that harness into my dash connector below is what happens...basically the red & black wires are crossed because on my setup they need to be. This is happening because Toyota uses a different wire color code than my HU does. Check your new HU's wire code chart for more info, it's probably the same as mine. :D

HU(wht)->harness(wht)->OEM connector(wht)->Left Ch dash aux-input
    HU(blk)->harness(blk)->OEM connector(red) -> Ground dash aux-input
    HU(red)->harness(red)->OEM connector(blk)->Right Ch dash aux-input

20. Nov 24, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    epa4wd

epa4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eduardo
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR