Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Whirling Noise From Tweeters After Total Stereo Upgrade

Old 01-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #21
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Call me, shoot me a pm. I will walk you thru a few things. I would prefer you call when your out in the truck.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
My 2 cents...

Try running a ground wire from the chassis of head unit to the chassis of the amp. Then recheck both grounds to solid metal - not some piece of tin under the dash. If the head is picking up the ground from a factory harness - add another chassis ground. Honestly, 99% of whines are from crappy grounds.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #23
aleok is on a distinguished road
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
Chassis of the HU and Chassis of the Amp? Do you mean just the metal casing of the HU and of the amp? Simply connect the two with a wire? Gauge? I'll re-check to make sure the groung HU wire is correctly grounded; I read that grounding that to where the Amp's are grounds is a possible fix.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #24
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleok View Post
Chassis of the HU and Chassis of the Amp? Do you mean just the metal casing of the HU and of the amp? Simply connect the two with a wire? Gauge? I'll re-check to make sure the groung HU wire is correctly grounded; I read that grounding that to where the Amp's are grounds is a possible fix.
Use a wire heavy enough to handle any current loads - usually 16GA suffices. Solder a ring terminal at each end and use a chassis mounting stud/bolt to connect. The common ground is in theory to what I recommended - it ties the grounds together. The down side is if the components are far apart, it requires extra wire to accomplish - something to always try to avoid doing.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #25
aleok is on a distinguished road
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still getting whine. I tried multiple ground points for both HU and amps. Both my amps are grounded to the Chassis of the truck. I tried connecting the chassis of the amp to the chassis HU. I took my HU in to check out the Pico fuse, but everything checked out fine. I ran new RCA's. I don't know what is left. When using muting plugs in the amp, there is no whine. so the problem is somewhere before the amp.

Anyone got any more ideas?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #26
Senility Rocks!

Only thing left is to try a set of isolators on the audio cables. Any car audio shop should have them. Might lose a little freq response, but you may never really notice it, especially if you like country music. ;-)

Quote:
I'm still getting whine. I tried multiple ground points for both HU and amps. Both my amps are grounded to the Chassis of the truck. I tried connecting the chassis of the amp to the chassis HU. I took my HU in to check out the Pico fuse, but everything checked out fine. I ran new RCA's. I don't know what is left. When using muting plugs in the amp, there is no whine. so the problem is somewhere before the amp.

Anyone got any more ideas?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 AM   #27
JoeSchmuck will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmuck will become famous soon enough

Navy: Submarine Launched Ballistic Missiles
Name: Joe
JoeSchmuck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
After installing my Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD reciever, Boston Acoustics SC60 speakers all around with Kicker 350.4 amp, and JL W3V2 10" sub with Zapco Amp, I'm getting this whirling/whinding sound coming out of my tweeters. It only happens when the reciever is on, and when i'm pressing the gas, in Drive, neutral or park, sometimes when i'm coasting. It seems to change tones with the RMPs.

I'm also getting a "knocking/thumping" noise from my speakers inbetween me changing the radio station or song.

Anyone can help me out???
Thanks
When you say reciever on, you mean the HU on for anything you're listening to, not specifically a single function like the radio? I don't want to make an assumption here.

If it's just the radio receiver and you have no whining when playing a CD or whatever else then that changes things.

-Joe