1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whirling Noise From Tweeters After Total Stereo Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by aleok, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Call me, shoot me a pm. I will walk you thru a few things. I would prefer you call when your out in the truck.

2. Jan 31, 2010 at 3:55 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    My 2 cents...

Try running a ground wire from the chassis of head unit to the chassis of the amp. Then recheck both grounds to solid metal - not some piece of tin under the dash. If the head is picking up the ground from a factory harness - add another chassis ground. Honestly, 99% of whines are from crappy grounds.

3. Jan 31, 2010 at 11:29 PM
    aleok

aleok [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Chassis of the HU and Chassis of the Amp? Do you mean just the metal casing of the HU and of the amp? Simply connect the two with a wire? Gauge? I'll re-check to make sure the groung HU wire is correctly grounded; I read that grounding that to where the Amp's are grounds is a possible fix.

4. Feb 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Use a wire heavy enough to handle any current loads - usually 16GA suffices. Solder a ring terminal at each end and use a chassis mounting stud/bolt to connect. The common ground is in theory to what I recommended - it ties the grounds together. The down side is if the components are far apart, it requires extra wire to accomplish - something to always try to avoid doing.

Good luck!

5. Feb 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM
    aleok

aleok [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I'm still getting whine. I tried multiple ground points for both HU and amps. Both my amps are grounded to the Chassis of the truck. I tried connecting the chassis of the amp to the chassis HU. I took my HU in to check out the Pico fuse, but everything checked out fine. I ran new RCA's. I don't know what is left. When using muting plugs in the amp, there is no whine. so the problem is somewhere before the amp.

Anyone got any more ideas?

6. Feb 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Only thing left is to try a set of isolators on the audio cables. Any car audio shop should have them. Might lose a little freq response, but you may never really notice it, especially if you like country music. ;-)

7. Feb 13, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    When you say reciever on, you mean the HU on for anything you're listening to, not specifically a single function like the radio? I don't want to make an assumption here.

If it's just the radio receiver and you have no whining when playing a CD or whatever else then that changes things.

-Joe

Products Discussed in

To Top