Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Whirling Noise From Tweeters After Total Stereo Upgrade

Old 11-13-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
aleok is on a distinguished road
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
Whirling Noise From Tweeters After Total Stereo Upgrade

After installing my Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD reciever, Boston Acoustics SC60 speakers all around with Kicker 350.4 amp, and JL W3V2 10" sub with Zapco Amp, I'm getting this whirling/whinding sound coming out of my tweeters. It only happens when the reciever is on, and when i'm pressing the gas, in Drive, neutral or park, sometimes when i'm coasting. It seems to change tones with the RMPs.

I'm also getting a "knocking/thumping" noise from my speakers inbetween me changing the radio station or song.

Anyone can help me out???
Thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
something aint grounded right
Old 11-13-2009, 03:51 AM   #3
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
sounds like you are picking up some interference from your alternator. I have had this happen in the past.
The cause is usually when you run your RCA (from HU) in the same path as the power from the battery to your amp. Try running them on separate sides of the cab, this solved my problems in the past.
I always run the sub power on 1 side, and all my signal feeds on the other.
the thump does sound like a ground issue or loose connection somewhere.
good luck.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #4
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
^^ thanks for the replies, would the grounding problem be from my amp powering the speakers? or could it be any of the grounds, including the HU?
Old 11-13-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
the pop is probably from the amp, since it sends to your subs and if your amp is properly grounded, it should filter out any issues from the HU. make sure you don't have any nicks in any lead wires also causing a short.
also check your gains on the amps to make sure they are not set too high, sending more power to the speakers than needed. not quite sure what would cause the thumps when changing the station. sounds like a signal/power issue.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
deff run the rca's away from the power cable
Old 11-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester156 View Post
sounds like you are picking up some interference from your alternator. I have had this happen in the past.
The cause is usually when you run your RCA (from HU) in the same path as the power from the battery to your amp. Try running them on separate sides of the cab, this solved my problems in the past.
I always run the sub power on 1 side, and all my signal feeds on the other.
the thump does sound like a ground issue or loose connection somewhere.
good luck.
This is not true. Physics does not stop working in a vehicle.
It is a common misconception that noise from the alternator is picked up through the RCA cables. As long as there is some modicum of shielding and insulation, it is not going to happen. If you move the RCAs and the noise goes away, there was another issue at hand that was fixed during the process. The power wire is not the cause.

Alternator whine is most typically caused by a weak ground. This can be the ground for the amps or it could be the ground for the HU itself. Make sure that where you are grounding your amps is clean, bear metal and that the copper is securely attached. As for the HU, I will typically not use the ground wire from the harness. I will ground to a spot on the fire wall or to a solid point of the chasis near by.

That being said, I do typically run power and the patch cable on opposite sides of the vehicle because they are easier to conceal.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
cole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to beholdcole47 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cole
cole47's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cole47
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkirkner78 View Post
deff run the rca's away from the power cable

made this mistake with my old car.....the buzzing gets louder when you hit the gas
Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Ground problem. I ran a "ground loop isolator" in my last truck and it filtered it out. check your grounds and that should fix it. if not, pick up one of those things, they are like 13 bucks, it hooks into the rca's.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Ground loop isolators, much like multi farad capacitors, are a bandaide and don't address the problem.

Check your grounds and make sure your RCA's are intact and not coming into contact with the sheet metal of the body.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
^so the RCA's cannot be resting on the sheet metal of the body as they run from the HU to the AMP? how do i prevent that?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleok View Post
^so the RCA's cannot be resting on the sheet metal of the body as they run from the HU to the AMP? how do i prevent that?
I'm referring to them being shorted out to the sheet metal. If the insulation is intact, then this is not an issue. But, if you have somehow pinched the cable or cut the insulation or the connector is somehow shorted to the body, that could be an issue.

Simply running the RCA's along the sheet metal is not an issue.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
^ oh ok, thanks
Old 01-28-2010, 05:02 AM   #14
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys, i re-ran my RCA's, grounded the HU to bare metal, Grounded the Amps to the chassis itself. Yet, still i'm getting alternator whine.

any ideas??
Old 01-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
Kevin20 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
Kevin20's Tacoma Gallery
Just from experience Pioneer HU's have bad grounds for the RCA's at the back of the HU. Try grounding your RCA out puts at the back of your HU and see if that eliminates it. That is the only way i could fix mine when I used to have a pioneer. After i found out that it seems to happen alot I changed back to Alpine.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #16
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Blown PICO fuses in the deck, almost promise you. Ground the RCA's to the chassis of the deck.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...PioneerFix.jpg
Old 01-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
damn the HU is brand new. Sh1tty deals. so just wrap some wires around the RCA outputs and ground them? i'll try it. thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #18
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
ok i grounded the RCAs, but there was no difference. Any other ideas?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
hmmm. You have a ground loop of some sort it sounds like. Have you tried using muting plugs on the amp to see if it goes quiet then? Where you located, if your close I will try and help you out.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #20
aleok's Tacoma Gallery
^ thanks for the offer, but i'm in Honolulu. Never heard of muting plugs, what do they do and where can i find some? should i try a ground loop isolator?