Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

JL Audio Subwoofer Gurus: please help me!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #1
Proud Confederate
Rocky Truck is on a distinguished road
Rocky Truck's Tacoma Gallery
JL Audio Subwoofer Gurus: please help me!

Just installed a 10W3V3 in a custom box behind the console. It's hooked up to the JL 250\1 monobloc amp (NICE!)

What are the preferred Hz filter setting and the preferred gain setting for the amp?

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
I find this all depends on your music and you own preferences. Keep a small screwdriver in the truck so you can change it as you need to. To start I recommend setting the x-over to 100 Hz then turn the radio on and keep adding gain till it sounds good on one song then listen to a few more and just tweak it till it sounds just the way you want. Leave it that way for a few days and if it doesn't sound just the way you want adjust the x-over or the gain. Keep changing still its as close to perfect FOR YOU.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
Proud Confederate
Rocky Truck is on a distinguished road
Rocky Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Joe-

OK, how about the settings on the head unit such ass bass level + or - (1-10) and subwoofer level + or - (0-15)

thanks bud
-chris
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #4
Lav is on a distinguished road
Lav's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, just put the gain up to 3/4 the way up or a little more than that. just don't turn the gain up all the way. you don't wanna put that small amp on a work overload. the Hz, keep them low but tune it to where it sounds good. with the amp on almost full gain, use your deck to adjust the bass. this method of turning your amp up and using the deck to control it is easier to maintain that perfect sound with out pulling over, grabbing your screw driver and tweaking it constantly. another tip, keep your bass on the deck low cause that controls all speakers to give out bass. use the subwoofer level on the deck to adjust the amount of bass you want on the W3. the subwoofer level adjusts the power, just like the gain on the amp.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
I basically agree. I dial in the sub the best I can over a week span with the screwdriver leaving the headunit at low settings. Then when music plays thats lacking I can just bump it up with the headunit. To prevent it from affecting my mids I tyoically use the subwoofer setting for this. Still, in the end, keep tryin things till you're happy with it.