1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RMS of stock headunit and dynomat?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rberumen2, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Nov 26, 2009 at 6:57 AM
    rberumen2

rberumen2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    Does anyone know what the RMS of a stock headunit for an 06 tacoma is? i'm debating about getting a pioneer Nav and was wondering if it would be worth it.
    also, is there a big difference with dynomat or secondskin (any deadening sound). I just want to know if it's worth the time.

2. Nov 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    good question... I am thinking about dyno mat too if I replace my stock speakers...

3. Nov 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM
    Taco Ron

Taco Ron Male Member

Member:
    Do a search for sound deadening, dynomat, e-dead, rammat, etc. I have used Rammat on may cars and it definately makes a difference. You just need to use it in the right places. Most thread on here will tell you to apply to the doors, back wall and floors for the best gains.

As far as the HU, I'm not sure if you can find out the RMS, but it will likely be lower than an aftermarket unit.

4. Nov 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    Tony D

Tony D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    I would guess that the stock system if comparable to most would do about 10-16 watts RMS per main channel (ie Front left, front right etc). Could be less too. Now that is RMS.. Peak well pull out the dart board and pick a number :)

An aftermarket headunit will give you a bit more power, but not enought to jump up and down about, or make an audible difference.

If you want to improve your system here are the steps I recommend to start:
    1. Put in a sub and amp (fills in the frequencies you are not getting).
    2. Put an amp on the stock speakers - 4x50 RMS or more
    3. replace the stock speakers with some GOOD speakers - ie $300+ per pair to make a difference at this point
    4. Replace the headunit, or get a Cleansweep, Audiocontrol interface, RF 360 etc if you want to keep the stock headunit at this point.

The sound deading you can do at any point you want.
    1. In the doors, make sure you use it to seal the doors to make them more like an enclosure... I like to make a mounting ring/plate out of MDF to mount the speaker to.. alot better bass etc
    2. I find kick pannels and firewall are another good place - cut down on your road noise.. sometimes it's easier to make the cab quieter than your stereo louder to make your system shine.
    3. Roof is a major one, and a major pain.
    4. I don't know what the back wall is like of the cab (still looking for a taco to buy). But that is usually another big place for noise.

As for the headunit - you say you want nav.. if the nav is more important than the sound - put it in now.. otherwise do the steps above..

If I've forgotten something, or you have questions fire away..

Products Discussed in

To Top