1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bad sound systems

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by snowmanquebec, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    Gringo

Gringo Active Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '10 2wd AC SR5
    HID's, extra D-rings
    When you guys swap out speakers, are you just talking about the mains in the front doors, or do you swap the tweeters, etc. too? My '10 access cab has a pair of mains down low in front that seem to do most of the work, little tweeters up high in the doors, and then a pair of 'rears' that are in the headliner just behind the front seats, perilously close to one of the many airbag systems - anyone mess with these yet? Am just wondering how much can be gained by swapping these smaller speakers out...

My stock sound is OK but has very weak bass, and sometimes I just can't get anywhere near the volume I want - I have the fade set to R a bit but it seems I give away alot of the power from the front speakers when set that way. Am wondering if there's a post-amp I can throw on this stock HU, along with a moderately sized sub, or somesuch. I want decent sound but a low profile, and think the stock HU won't call attention to itself...

2. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I really wouldn't bother with half-assing...audio systems need to be done ground-up to be done right...new HU, new speakers, sub, amps...just do it all. If you have a weak link in the chain, you're going to notice...

3. Nov 30, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    UpstateTacoma

UpstateTacoma I'd rather be diving than working..

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    All Stock, future mods will be audio only!!
    I would replace them all. I just got new 6 1/2 for the front and the rear, as well as new tweeters. I also got a 10" sub and a 5-1 amp. all are alpine. I will be ordering a new head unit after xmas. When i was changing the speakers out, i saw that the factory speaker are cheaply made, with a tiny magnets (if you dont believe me take it out..), and the surounds are made of paper. also swap the tweeters. right now i am waiting on my baffles from Mr. Marv, and my sub box from Mr. Marv. Hopefully will get them soon.

4. Nov 30, 2009 at 4:36 PM
    snowmanquebec

snowmanquebec [OP] Member

Member:
    Clova & Montreal QC,Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD 2010
    mickey thompson tires
    changing the head unit.....does it look good after....the radio are nice in the dash and are not standart no more...
    and what about the nice feature of having the controls on the stearing wheel.
    is there so pictures of head unit install in 2009 or 2010 tacoma???

5. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    Taco speakers are mostly garbage. They are full range paper drivers with whizzer cones. Circa 1970.

6. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Ive heard that it can be twice as good if you put deadener mat in the panels. You can hear that theres alot of potential from the radio, but just not enough "back-up".

7. Nov 30, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    ptsimpso

ptsimpso Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Stereo
    I gutted my audio system about 2 weeks after I got my 2010 DC. I went with the new Pioneer Avic Z110BT as the head unit, IMO its the best gps/video head unit out there. I've always been partial to JL Audio products, so I got their new HD900/5 5 channel amplifier (a 900W 5 channel amp, in a very small package that fits perfectly under the passenger seat). Hooked it up to the JL C5 6.5" components in the front door. The front door can handle a 6x9, but I couldn't find a good 6x9 with a separate tweeter and crossover. I put in JL C2 6.5" Coaxial in the rear door. and I put the JL stealth box in behind the rear seats.

All in all, I am VERY pleased with this setup. The sound is near flawless, and the install is clean and almost unnoticeable (except of course for the 7" touchscreen in the dash). The only thing I am unhappy with is the dash kit I got. I went with scoshe and the reveal around the headunit just isn't as clean as I would like it to be. I've been on the lookout for a Metra dash kit.

All said and done it was a massive undertaking of about 3, 6-7hour days and almost $3k in parts, but well worth it to me.

Anyone that is unhappy with the stock Toyota sound system should consider a more mild upgrade. A carefully spent, <$600 can get you a very big improvement. Consider a quality head unit and 4 door speakers as a good starting place, amplifiers and subs can be added on later.

8. Dec 1, 2009 at 2:30 PM
    snowmanquebec

snowmanquebec [OP] Member

Member:
    Clova & Montreal QC,Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD 2010
    mickey thompson tires
    Hé ptsimpso,,,do you have picture of the head unit install whit the kit....i would like to see how it look.

only the head unit.....the speakers ,,,we dont see them..

9. Dec 1, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    It's like there is no mid range audio. Recently, I turned down the Bass (to -1) and it sounds a little bit better but honestly, it's probably the worse sounding stock stereo I've ever had.

10. Dec 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    ptsimpso

ptsimpso Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Stereo
    Sorry it took so long to get this posted, been busy. But here ya go.

IMG_1583.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top