Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Removing stock "tweeter" with coax speakers?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
JBTuncc is on a distinguished road
Name: John
JBTuncc's Tacoma Gallery
Removing stock "tweeter" with coax speakers?

Should I remove the stock so called tweeter from the truck when i install coax speakers in the front doors? If so is it ok just to leave the wires hanging there? They aren't set up to where if the tweeters are disconnected the bottom speaker won't work are they? I wouldn't mind leaving them attached I just don't want to mess up the sound quality of the new speakers. Sorry I'm so terrible at car audio....
Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Just clip them and cap them. You can just leave them in place.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
maconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of lightmaconhurler is a glorious beacon of light

maconhurler's Tacoma Gallery
Take back your coaxs and get a component set of speakers, your ears will thank you. You can get some fairly cheap and they sound great. I bought my Kicker components 5 1/4" from Crutchfield outlet for around $100.00. You will already have the door panel off to install the larger speaker, install the tweeter and fasten the crossovers on the inside of the door. Problem solved and your system sounds better.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
JBTuncc's Tacoma Gallery
I don't recommend crossovers in the door. Done that before and they will fall apart. As for the components I am running them off of the stock headunit so I think the coax's will do better. Plus I got the coax's for 35 bucks. i may replace them later but Polk coax's should be fine for me.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
You would be surprised.

Just drop some nice coax (I like boston acoustic) in the doors and leave the OEM tweeters there and hooked up. I think it sounds great.

Its a simple upgrade.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
JBTuncc's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. So you say that the stock tweeter won't throw off the impedence? I'm not familiar with all that...
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
It will be fine.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
mwerner1 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
mwerner1's Tacoma Gallery
I installed infinity kappa components and they sound amazing, the only pain was getting the tweeters to fit the mounting bracket, if i were to do again i would purchase the brackets from tacotunes. But I do recommend to replace the tweeters and power the components with an amp
Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
^^^^^^
Yeah. That is the best route, buy components, amps run oxygen free cable the trade off is the labor and cost.

If you just want to spend 100 bucks to simply drop in some coaxial speakers, I would leave the stock tweeter in to help bring some of that soundstage up from your anxles. You will notice a tremendous difference.

Are you using the oem head unit?

If your are looking to use the factory head unit or an aftermarket headunit and don't want to wire amp make sure you get a nice sensitive speaker. Again, I really suggest the bostons. Over the years I have tried many brands and you can't beat Boston acoustics for the money.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
JBTuncc's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the Polk Db651's. I am using the stock h/u. I have considered an amp but don't really want to go that route unless I decide to get a sub.