Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

power and ground question

Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
chris L will become famous soon enough

Army: tank driver 4bn 69th Armor
chris L's Tacoma Gallery
power and ground question

I have a dual amp set up . battery to fuse to 4 awg wire to nonfused distribution block . from there 8 awg wire to one 4 channel amp and 8awg to a 1.2 farad capacitor to a mono amp . streetwires ( distribution block ) said that I need to use a fuse from distribution block to amp and a fuse to cap/amp combo . I thought with the fuse near the battery was enough . I think it is 60amp .

grounding

where is a good spot to ground my equipment too ? I have it behind the rear seats of my 06 double cab . I am planning on grounding 2 amps and a cappacitor . I want to use a distribution bloack and 4 awg to ground . I thought maybe a seat belt bolt or seat bracket bolt . any one care to share their expertise ?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I guess that technically you should put a fuse whenever you have a gauge reduction, because you could draw 60 amp through the 8 gauge wire.

I think the ground under the seatbelt bolt is probably good. I'd sand the paint down before sealing everything up.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Always Always Always fuse a reduction in wire gauge. Your 60 amp fuse is small enough to protect the 8 awg wire, but it is still best practice to fuse all reductions in wire gauge.

You are on the right track by combining the ground wires from the amp with a distro block and using a single common grounding point. Seatbelt bolts are great for grounding to, since they generally have good contact with the body. Just be sure to grind the paint down to bare metal and you should have no issues with ground loop noise or voltage issues.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #4

chris L's Tacoma Gallery
thank you for the replies and your opinions .
Im going to order another distribution block but a fused one for power and use my existing nonfused one for grounding . then I can run 4awg to the middle seat belt bolt for ground .

thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
You should probably also upgrade the ground at your battery.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:34 PM   #6

chris L's Tacoma Gallery
from the chassis to the battery and remove the stock ground ?

thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
My hair is all natural

lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris L View Post
from the chassis to the battery and remove the stock ground ?

thanks
yeah
Old 03-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #8

chris L's Tacoma Gallery
makes sense the stock cable isnt very big .