1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody ever tried to install a backup camera?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Love My Taco, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Dec 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    Love My Taco

Love My Taco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport xtra cab
    K&N CAI, 110 outlet in cab mod, ARE Cap, Yakima Racks, Stainless Bull Bar, tailgate lock
    Just ordered a Peak backup camera off ebay. I have a truck cap and it's tough to see behind me when backing into tight spaces(Am I the only one with this problem?) I'm think I'm gonna try to mount the 7" screen on my visor, hardwire the power into the lighter circuit, and basically just try to make look it as built in as possible. The camera has a transmitter to be mounted somewhere in the bed(maybe one of the cubbies), and I'm pretty sure it's powered by the reverse lights. This should be fun. Anybody ever attempted this?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 9, 2009 at 4:14 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    out of the thousands of truck owners. i think your the first one to think of this.

3. Dec 9, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    Love My Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport xtra cab
    K&N CAI, 110 outlet in cab mod, ARE Cap, Yakima Racks, Stainless Bull Bar, tailgate lock
    I'm not saying I'm the first one to think of this(i assume you were being sarcastic). Just trying to see if anyone on here has done this to give me an idea of how much of a pita it's going to be.

4. Dec 9, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    I am about to to, but I bought an '09 tailgate with a camera in. The wires were snipped so my local audio shop is putting it in. The power goes to the reverse light, ground to any metal, and the signal wires to the monitor. Post pics when you're finished. :)

5. Dec 9, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    Love My Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport xtra cab
    I'm starting think about an in dash dvd. I really don't see the point of the dvd player, but alot of them have gps, ipod controls, backup camera hookups, sirius hookups and all kinds of other stuff I don't need, but really want. Right now I have Sirius and gps on clogging up my dash. HMMMMM....better start workin some overtime.

6. Dec 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    I have a pretty nice DVD player that does all that. My gf watches movies while I drive so I actually use it. I'm still deciding on whether or not to install the camera on my own. It's $80 for the shop to do it.

7. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Love My Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport xtra cab
    I got to looking at those things, they do everything! A couple of questions

does the gps work well?

Do you have sirius hooked up to it?

Bluetooth?

8. Dec 9, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    i bought the same one you have, im having my brother hook it up this weekend

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Dec 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    actually, I have seen a car with the navigation and it's awesome but mine isn't hooked up yet. sirius isn't popular in my network of friends so i wouldn't know. now bluetooth, was the only option I thought I would never use and i use it very opten. I can play music off my iphone via bluetooth. so awesome.

10. Dec 9, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    cameraperson

cameraperson TIM HUS shows Nashville how it's done correctly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cameraperson ADK
    DC and Lake Ozonia in the ADKs
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 TrD sport
    Roof Rack, Auto Ignition, Full-time switchable camera over the rear tag, steering wheel cover, light floor mats, Gravimetric torpedoes
    I have the same issue backing up- its hard to see. So I got a camera too- but decided to just cut the cables and I found the approximately matching electrical DC power source- an old phone recharger, and I plugged it into the switchable AC "wall plug" in the bed. So now I can watch it full time, not just when I'm backing up. I can see cars rollin down the highway whenever I activate the power to the outlet in the bed. SHAaaa ZOOOOO

video of the cam
    :http://www.vimeo.com/8092612
    or search on http://www.vimeo.com/cameraperson

11. Dec 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I have installed the peak back up camera works very well and the screen is very clear i ran it how it says to power from reverse lights, my transmitter is behind the cubby compartment.

12. Dec 9, 2009 at 10:13 PM
    mr2crazed

mr2crazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morro Bay, CA.
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner SR5
    Where did you mount the screen? Any pictures of your setup?

13. Nov 2, 2011 at 6:13 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    OK this is holy thread revival but I did search & found this thread and know a couple of the members are still on here. Maybe before I pm they will speak up on a long term review?

Most of the newer Tacomas now have the backup cam & my tundra needs one now too. I didn't spend lots on my truck so it did not come standard & not interested in spending $$ at trdsparks for the mirror kit (pricey) so...

How well do these PEAK camera work?
    The reviews on Amazon are positive.
    Anyone here use one in the tacoma or other vehicle recently? Have a friend or family who use one? TIA.

14. Nov 2, 2011 at 3:11 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    I will get pics of mine here shortly but all you do is plug in it mount where you want it and bam turns on with a clear picture i am happy with mine i had mine before they added the tacoma mirror camera so it was way cheap for me

15. Dec 30, 2011 at 10:03 AM
    GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers //TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    265/70/17 BFG KO2/17"x7" Pro Sema Wheels/OME 884/Bilstein 5100 front & rear/HeadStrong 1/4" TP spacer/Deaver 1.5"-2" AAL/Mud-Flap delete/Westin Bed mat/UltraGauge/ WeatherTechs/AFE Pro Dry Drop in Filter/debadged/AVS in-channel window visors/color-matched OEM grille/Kicker 6.75" Components in front door/Alpine KTP-445U power pack behind factory head unit/
    thread revival again!

can someone show me a picture of where the reverse wires are for our tacomas?

16. Dec 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    polox40

polox40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    I started out looking for a backup camera one thing led to another, now I have a 7" double din dvd/nav/backup/blutooth/ipod/usb componant speakers up front, point source in the back, 12" sub and a 5 channel amp!!!

Love the camera , great for backing up to my boat trailor.

17. Dec 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    muisejt

muisejt Well-Known Member

Member:
    YMM
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport DC LB
    Katzkin, Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (D2S), 4Runner Mirrors, Complete Stereo Upgrade with Backup Camera, Pop&Lock PL5400, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau, TRD OR Tow Hook, rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch, Grillcraft, 10" Rigid light bar behind grill, relocated horns, Redline Tuning hood struts, 5100's with 883 and Wheeler 5 leaf, OME carrier barring drop kit, ECGS Bushing, MarionB2B front hubs

Products Discussed in

To Top