Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

quick question about ipod adapter...

Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
tommyboy2929 is on a distinguished road
tommyboy2929's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tommyboy2929
Question quick question about ipod adapter...

i have an 08 tacoma with the factory 6 disk cd changer and i was looking into the ipod connections that go to the factory head unit. if i were to get this one....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...d-adapter.html

would it eliminate my cd changer or would it work just normal normal?

thanks for the help!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like the ipod2car unit.
I have it with 6-disc changer.

The factory 6-disc changer has an additional port on the back of the head unit to plug in another disc changer if you want. The ipod2car plugs into that port and you utilize it like an additional CD changer. Your factory unit will remain usable.

Make sure you get the PXDP unit. I've heard the new generation units don't work on the newer tacomas.

Here's a writeup on it:
http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/ipod2car.html
Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
cool thanks for the help... so is the one i was looking at ok? i dont know what the PXDP unit is.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy2929 View Post
cool thanks for the help... so is the one i was looking at ok? i dont know what the PXDP unit is.
The one you were looking at - looks to be the same unit as I have.

It's made by Peripheral Electronics and the unit itself is called PXDP.

(you don't want the PXDP2)
Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
cool thank you very much!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=Janster;64136]That looks like the ipod2car unit.
I have it with 6-disc changer.

The factory 6-disc changer has an additional port on the back of the head unit to plug in another disc changer if you want. The ipod2car plugs into that port and you utilize it like an additional CD changer. Your factory unit will remain usable.

Make sure you get the PXDP unit. I've heard the new generation units don't work on the newer tacomas.

Here's a writeup on it:
http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/article...tml[/quote]

I was just going to ask about this today. Good timing on the post.

I assume you mean the "in-dash" 6-disk changer with the stock Toyota radio not the JBL system. I was just about to buy the USA Spec PA-12-TOY but decided to wait a day. I happen to walk into a local car audio store just to see if they had it. The guy in there told me it would not work and told me I had to get the FM interface. (I know I don't want one of those.) The guy at Best Buy was less than knowledgable as he tired to sell me a whole new head unit. Cruthfield gave me no matches for an 08.

I assumed the 07 and 08 stock radios are the same is that correct?
Does the USA Spec PA 12 TOY work with an 08 and is this the best one to get?

I would rather spend my money on spreaker ungrades at this point. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
05-08 radios are the same, in point of fact 98-08 toyota factory radios are all compatible with usa spec pa-12 TOY. The guy at the audio shop was just trying to screw you out of more money.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
05-08 radios are the same, in point of fact 98-08 toyota factory radios are all compatible with usa spec pa-12 TOY. The guy at the audio shop was just trying to screw you out of more money.
Hey Mav

Thanks for the response. I also sent a PM to rmdo311 because after I sent the post I found a thread he had commented on. I think he is using the PA12TOY on an 08.

I figured as much about the local guy but I wanted to check to make sure. Thanks again.

AKBackcountry (Kevin)

PS. You still running the ECO device?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
markustyson is on a distinguished road
markustyson's Tacoma Gallery
I have read all (at least I think I have) of the threads about ipod adapters/interfaces. However, none of them talk about the stock, single CD radio. I don't have the 6-disc changer. Am I to assume that products such as the USA-Spec, ipod2car, and GROM ONLY work with the 6 disc-changer? Anyone out there with a stock, single disc radio that has installed an ipod adapter?

Thanks!!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #10
yea the guy i just bought my ipod2car from had it on his stock single disk and it worked fine. i just installed it on my 6disk changer and it transfered right over.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by markustyson View Post
I have read all (at least I think I have) of the threads about ipod adapters/interfaces. However, none of them talk about the stock, single CD radio. I don't have the 6-disc changer. Am I to assume that products such as the USA-Spec, ipod2car, and GROM ONLY work with the 6 disc-changer? Anyone out there with a stock, single disc radio that has installed an ipod adapter?

Thanks!!
This write-up (same as listed above) is about installation on a single CD unit.

http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/ipod2car.html
Old 03-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #12
raycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant futureraycie has a brilliant future

raycie's Tacoma Gallery
So when the iPod is connected, it will be the "CD" and when unattached, then a CD can be inserted and played? What if a CD is in, and the iPOD is attached?

Thanks..
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #13
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycie View Post
So when the iPod is connected, it will be the "CD" and when unattached, then a CD can be inserted and played? What if a CD is in, and the iPOD is attached?

Thanks..
When the ipod is attached it will be CD-1 or CD1 (too lazy to go outside and look), but regardless you would just hit the disc button on the radio, and it would first go to the cd player if there is a cd in it, then if you hit the button again it will go to the ipod.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
When the ipod is attached it will be CD-1 or CD1 (too lazy to go outside and look), but regardless you would just hit the disc button on the radio, and it would first go to the cd player if there is a cd in it, then if you hit the button again it will go to the ipod.
Yup...
CD = to play a CD in your 6disc changer
CD1 = to play the ipod

**this is using the ipod2car. I don't know if CD1 is the same for other adapters or not.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
chris L will become famous soon enough

Army: tank driver 4bn 69th Armor
chris L's Tacoma Gallery
and it works the same with the grom unit .
Old 03-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #17
surftodd is on a distinguished road

surftodd's Tacoma Gallery
i just put this in my 07 today and it is great!....the installation took about 25 minutes, the hardest part was deciding where to bring the cable out of the dash to hook into the ipod. I ended up drilling through the top of the small storage compartment right to the right of the steering column. the pod fits in there perfectly and then it can be extended(pulled) all the way to the passenger side-not that I would let my pass. pick the driving tunes.
anyway, I am very pleased with the adapter and the easy install