Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Tacoma Audio Endeavor

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #41
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
Great work man!

Now if you could get a thick plastic drop in mold with a sturdy lid mass produced, I think you could sell the heck out your design. :-)
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #42
polox40 is on a distinguished road
polox40's Tacoma Gallery
Awsome work and thanks cause i'll be studing your posts lol, with the back of the seat down, and the seat cushions up , does it interfere with the subs? I rarely have people back there but I always have some stuff.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #43
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by polox40 View Post
Awsome work and thanks cause i'll be studing your posts lol, with the back of the seat down, and the seat cushions up , does it interfere with the subs? I rarely have people back there but I always have some stuff.
Good question. I have yet to fold down the seats all the way flat so I guess I should give that a shot huh? Since the headrests have to be taken off to fold the seats all the way flat I really haven't tried it yet.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #44
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Crazy
DdayIsNear's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, and again great work
Old 02-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #45
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
Great demo on the Eclipse AVN726e on YouTube by the way....
Old 02-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #46
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
That's downright sexy bro! MOAR!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #47
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by glandnut View Post
Great demo on the Eclipse AVN726e on YouTube by the way....
Thanks. Hope it helps others select their units if they're considering it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
That's downright sexy bro! MOAR!
lol, more what? That's all I got right now!

The amp that I received from JL is kinda screwy right now so I'm sending it back for a replacement. Should have a new one within like 2 weeks or so I think.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #48
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamnz View Post
Great work man!

Now if you could get a thick plastic drop in mold with a sturdy lid mass produced, I think you could sell the heck out your design. :-)
i totally agree on that. i know i would be an instant customer.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #49
Banned
DdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shedDdayIsNear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgrednek3006 View Post
i totally agree on that. i know i would be an instant customer.
x2!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #50
Sounds Gooooood

I've thought about it but it would really depend on how much modification you guys would want to do. The lip on the front (where the stock bin attaches to) would still need to be cut off I think. The jack support needs to be cut out as well. You'll also have to trim the carpet in areas too. Believe me, this wasn't without modification to the truck by ANY means.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #51
Banned
i may not have that adio setup, but i sure do have this coming. wish it blowain in a bax for the back.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #52
Sorry for party rockin'
TacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacticalBacon13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dunk
TacticalBacon13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I've thought about it but it would really depend on how much modification you guys would want to do. The lip on the front (where the stock bin attaches to) would still need to be cut off I think. The jack support needs to be cut out as well. You'll also have to trim the carpet in areas too. Believe me, this wasn't without modification to the truck by ANY means.
build a drop in box without a hinge in it, and the jack support would be no biggie.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 AM   #53
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post

i can mod the truck, but box makin skills i do not have, i can mod teh truck anyway i have to, as per your write it, it seems within reach, maybe a 5 out of 10 difficulty. dynamat, i can do, mount speakers to lid, can do, paint lid, maybe not. price is right i would order one
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #55
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedontronics View Post
how's it sound?
Sorry I didn't see this post before. To answer your question, it sounded great and I was really happy with it.

HOWEVER....

I'm what some people might call a "maximizer" and it's plagued me most of my life. Something good isn't good enough. Great is nice but unless it's perfect there's still room for improvement. Which as you can imagine, lends me to redoing and often overdoing things.

Which brings me to my next point. Check the graphs below. It's a box modeling program called Unibox. Basically, you can model the frequency response of a speaker in various box alignments by inputting all the speaker specs. Cool shit and very useful.

First graph is for the 4 subs in a sealed box just over 1 cube.

Second Graph is of the same 4 subs in a ported box the same size.

Since my enclosure volume was fixed I really only had two options; ported or sealed. Ported response yields MUCH more area under the curve and gives me room to play with EQ a bit. If the bottom end is too strong I'll just pull it back with some EQ once I get a processor. One thing is for certain though; the ported response curve was superior. Sealed was easier which was why it happened first. That was basically just me proving to myself that I could throw a top on that thing and get it to work. Proof of concept was a success so we've moved onto better things.

So after a few weeks of realizing that sealed was a cop out I decided to man up and go the whole 9 yards. I fiberglassed the tub for added strength so it wouldn't flex. I think this would have made the sealed box sound even better; but why stop there? Ported was a dream that had to become a reality.

So, I built a new baffle board. This one was to house the same 4 Tang Band 6.5" subs but with two 3" flared ports. And this time I wanted the thing to be tough since I use my truck and I don't like to treat it like a pansy. That and with my truck coming factory with a composite bed I had to throw bed liner on SOMETHING. I know a guy locally who does Line-X and he shot down the baffle for me. Best decision ever. This stuff is like iron and the best part is it took him 10 minutes. It would have taken me 3 days of waiting for paint to dry and sanding to paint the damn thing.

So it was time to deal with the ports. I spent every bit of 12 hours yesterday getting them to fit. It was an impossible task that God allowed me to accomplish by breaking the laws of geometry and physics. I had to cut my own custom angles and piece them together to get the ports routed. A combination of that purple PVC glue and resin did the trick.

(I'm getting to the good part I swear)

So....here she is in all her majesty.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #56
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
this last post is so wrong, it makes me instantly jealous and now i want to sell my box and attempt what you are doing. very nice work!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #57
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
this last post is so wrong, it makes me instantly jealous and now i want to sell my box and attempt what you are doing. very nice work!
If it's wrong I don't want to be right!
Old 04-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #58
s2studio is on a distinguished road

s2studio's Tacoma Gallery
That is a wicked set up man! Mad props on an awesome job
Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #59
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
Superbly off the chain.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #60
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Great work... looks phenomenal!!!! Have you had a chance to do any tuning? How does it sound? How does it sound in comparison to the seal setup you had?

There are several audio enthusiast on this forum that I wished lived closer... I would love to hear your setup.