Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Tacoma Audio Endeavor

Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #141
pcabinatan is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
pcabinatan's Tacoma Gallery
BUT a 150db is just the number it put out, but doesnt take into account the work and power associated with that. You say sealed, which means big amp, and tons of power, which means bigger cables and bigger alternator, which means tons of money.

Not product bashing but I think for the everyday consumer your Alpine Type R's, Image Dynamics IDQ 8's etc are great for what they do, beside tell me without ripping up the back of the truck, besides the bins, where would that motor structure fit?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 AM   #142
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I'm finding it hard to believe that 150db was done with a single 8" driver in a sealed cabinet. Possibly a ported cabinet as it controls cone motion at the tuning frequency and adds 3db or more at tuning. But a sealed cabinet likely isn't your best bet.

Regardless, most of the beefy 8's on the market like the Alpine Type R's and ID8's are great for this type of build. The mounting depth is quite limited so shallow is better. I'd tell you to do something like that vs the Sundown 8's just due to power and SQ criteria. I believe SQ is the highest priority. With my build, I only had 500watts on tap so terribly inefficient subs weren't high up on my list. The ones I used aren't the MOST efficient subs ever (hey, they're 8's after all) but they aren't horrendous.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #143
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And if I was in the Tacoma with a 150db sub setup I'd be dead. I'd never hear anything again. But if that's your jam (pun intended) go for it!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #144
Babs is on a distinguished road
Babs's Tacoma Gallery
Nice build dude. That ms-8 looks familiar. Didn't I buy one from you?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #145
mikajo39 is on a distinguished road
mikajo39's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
And if I was in the Tacoma with a 150db sub setup I'd be dead. I'd never hear anything again. But if that's your jam (pun intended) go for it!
By "sealed on the dash" it means windows up and doors closed with the Termlab sensor on the windshield. Enclosures are usually small ported boxes tuned to the high 50s-60 hz zone with massive amounts of port area. They're basically one note wonders and mainly just about chasing numbers on the meter at audio competitions as they are not musical at all. However that is not reflective of the woofers themselves, the offerings from these companies (DC audio, Sundown Audio, Atomic, American bass, etc) are great. I've ran the Sundown SA8v2s in my taco and despite their relatively low 1W efficiencies they get moving pretty well even with low amplifier resources sounded great and had fantastic lowend capability. Also have ran Digital Designs 1508s and 2508s and I was ultimately unimpressed with both subwoofers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj5xchz6XoQ
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #146
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Nice build dude. That ms-8 looks familiar. Didn't I buy one from you?
Yep. That Bit.1 I you traded me still rocks out. Even after "the flood".
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #147
Babs is on a distinguished road
Babs's Tacoma Gallery
Weren't me.. Never had a bit.1. You might be thinkin' of Erin or someone. Actually I think it was Autiofile I might have gotten it from. Getting you guys confused. It's coming back to me, you were using the same TB drivers in a speaker design that I picked for the civic mids.

But I've been rockin' the MS-8 no issues in the Civic since way back when through the W6-789E's.. However, I fear I've smoked the left front mid, but not to be a thread hijacker. Those drivers sound killer but rated for low RMS. Gotta tear into it and test it out to see if it's the driver or baffle or something.

But considering moving the MS-8 over to the new taco. My wife's gonna kill me if I go tearing into the sound system on this truck, but it looks sooooooo inviting for a nice 2-way + sub. Must resist!

Got some uber cheeeeezy Massive Audio RK6's sitting unused on shelf with those big honkin' kevlar mid drivers that are probably the better part of the kit. Maybe a solid low-reaching tweet in the stock location.. NVX SB Acoustics ring radiator driver maybe? Add box between rear flip-downs with a solid 10". I fear the stock touchscreen, as lovely at it is, will be the weakest link. That's the thing that gives me pause, though I'm sure the MS-8 was made for such challenges. Though the OEM speaks are crappy, the head unit "seems" to put out a fairly decent SQ by OEM standards. Two bad it's speaker level I bet, unlike the Civic's OEM balanced line level outs.

NVX amps should be hitting my door today so I'm feeling itchy to tear-down and wire something.

Hijack over. Hope your Clarity speaker venture is going well and all the best!
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #148
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcabinatan View Post
BUT a 150db is just the number it put out, but doesnt take into account the work and power associated with that. You say sealed, which means big amp, and tons of power, which means bigger cables and bigger alternator, which means tons of money.

Not product bashing but I think for the everyday consumer your Alpine Type R's, Image Dynamics IDQ 8's etc are great for what they do, beside tell me without ripping up the back of the truck, besides the bins, where would that motor structure fit?
This is not always true,
There is a guy with a mazda 3 with less than 350Wrms clamped power that does a 150db on a Tl meter, so no, not tons of money at all.

I personally don't build SPL set ups but more so bass race set ups.
For example, if you had the space to sacrifice in say an extended cab and don't need the rear space you can get 4 12s and 2 1800 wrms amps for under $1000, and if you have the towing package, the proper wiring upgrades and had 1 extra group 31 battery will kick total Butt. Anyhow, there is nothing wrong with having a little extra thump. The sundown 8 inch is a beast and sound very good in .5-.75 cube sealed box and you can run 2 of those off a 2kw in a MUSIC box lol