1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

troubleshooting new speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kjf216, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dec 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    i have an 08 prerunner extra-cab i previously put in an alpine head unit and the other day i put these in

[​IMG]

the sonys r in the rear and the compontent alpines are in the front.

one problem i have is that the alpine woofers have a built in cross over but if i connect in the tweeters and disconnect the factory tweeter then nothing will play. the only way i could get the new stuff to work was cut the plug off the factory tweeters and splice the new set through it but now its not connected to the cross overs. i dont know if that makes any real difference in the sound quality.

problem two is that when i turn up the stereo to the louder then average end i get a clicking sound from around the passenger tweeter. at first i thought it was the crappy brackets i made since they were pretty rough but it doesnt seem to be it, i tried putting some foam that came with the speakers incase the tweeter was hitting the door and its seem quieter but its still doing it so idk if im just missing the part thats hitting or if it is something else. does anyone have any idea?

2. Dec 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    DaytonLax14

DaytonLax14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 extended cab TRD Off Road
    are you sure the clicking noise that you hear isn't the speakers clipping?

3. Dec 24, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    For problem one, the wiring for the door speaker is the same wire that goes through the tweeter connector. The tweeter splices off the door speaker wire after the connector. So if you just remove the white plug, you'll lose all power to the door speaker. You could have just cut the wire at the tweeter and it would have worked. Here's an illustration with an arrow pointing to the white connector.

[​IMG]

4. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM
    kjf216

kjf216 [OP] Fitz

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Ridley Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Head unit, speakers, LEDs
    I honestly dont know what is speaker clipping?

i didnt know about the clip i will have to pull the door apart next time i have some freetime and rewire it so if i under stand right if i cut the wires coming in to the clip and out to the woofer and wire them together all the power goes to the woofer and since it has a build in crossover if i rewire the tweeter to way it says to it should work better. the real question i guess is it worth it to rewire it will it give a better quality sound or help the tweeters last any longer?

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I was thinking if your replacement speakers have tweeters built in, then just cut the tweeters off at the tweeter (that's what I did). It's not really a crossover. It's just spliced off after the connector. If you already bypassed the connector, then the stock tweeters are cut out of the circuit.

Products Discussed in

To Top