Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

General Car Audio FAQs

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #61
jmyers16 is on a distinguished road
jmyers16's Tacoma Gallery
Iphone Cables for after market Stereo - Where do you put them

I am installing a aftermarket double din stereo in my 2007 Tacoma Double cab. I have also purchased the cables to run my iphone. Where is the best place in the cab to run the cables so they are accessible? Any suggestions?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #62
1fortheroad is on a distinguished road
Name: Bill
1fortheroad's Tacoma Gallery
Question CD Too Hot

Anyone else with a stock CD player (2006 Tacoma double cab, V6). Anytime I use the CD player when I eject the CD it is very hot. Could it be an issue with lack of ventilation on the electronics and is there a fix?

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Are boxless subs any good?im looking at this one And what type of speakers will work for me?
I'm not to picky about my music, but I do like to turn up the base on certain songs (country girl shake it for me, hick town, she's country, ect...) and I spend a good amount of time outside my truck with the stereo turned up.
I listen to country, if that makes a difference, i don't wanna spend a whole bunch of money (3-400) and it wouldn't be done all at once.
As far as I know my speakers are stock, and the headunit is a Sony xplod, and I may have had the JBL system (I have the little speakers in the doors)
http://m1273.photobucket.com/albumvi....jpg.html?o=39
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #64
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Are boxless subs any good?im looking at this one And what type of speakers will work for me?
I'm not to picky about my music, but I do like to turn up the base on certain songs (country girl shake it for me, hick town, she's country, ect...) and I spend a good amount of time outside my truck with the stereo turned up.
I listen to country, if that makes a difference, i don't wanna spend a whole bunch of money (3-400) and it wouldn't be done all at once.
As far as I know my speakers are stock, and the headunit is a Sony xplod, and I may have had the JBL system (I have the little speakers in the doors)
http://m1273.photobucket.com/albumvi....jpg.html?o=39
Those types of subs are good for small spaces because they are the sub and amp in one unit. I've never heard of that particular one. Based on Crutchfield alone, I wouldn't buy it though. I'd go with this Sound Ordnance one instead. Both subs have good reviews, but the Sound Ordnance one has 47 five-star reviews whereas the RetroSound has 6 reviews total (only 2 are five-star). The Sound Ordnance one has slightly better continuous wattage, a better warranty, and its basically the same size as the RetroSound sub. Oh, and its $40 cheaper!

You might get a few more people to chime in if you start a new thread asking about that sub, or these types of subs in general.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #65
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Collin, the sound ordinance sounds like a winner all around
Old 10-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #66
4x4x4cyl2010SR5 is on a distinguished road

Name: matt
4x4x4cyl2010SR5's Tacoma Gallery
Hey I installed a Kenwood DDX470 in my 2010 access cab. The install went well except that i broke ONE clip on the mount panel.. So the million dollar question is can i buy one of these clips aftermarket or would i have to go to the dealer to get one or what? Its driving me nuts because the system is damn near perfect except that one clip! So if anyone has one or knows where to get one let me know.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #67
GATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGATORTACO92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Alex
Location: B'ham, AL. Can be found in good ole Cherry Point, NC
GATORTACO92's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a Kenwood Ddx770 7" touch screen... I didn't think to look to see if it would fit. Question is does it fit?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #68
Fish On !!!
SH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to beholdSH7mi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kevin
SH7mi's Tacoma Gallery
I am replacing my pioneer AVIC-D3 (2008) with a pioneer AVIC-Z150BH. Will I have to replace existing wiring harnesses or will the originals work?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #69
RocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RocktheRed's Tacoma Gallery
i replaced my stock head unit with a Kenwood KDC-952bt
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...nt/KDC-BT952HD

I still have stock speakers which can't handle the bass or the clearity of the sounds that the head unit is capable of pushing....What would you guys recommend for an all around set up? I've tried looking at Crutchfield, but I don't have a clue what a kHz or mHz's are! I'm looking for some good bass with clarity but I don't want to have a sub. I don't mind installing an amp for the speakers but I don't even know where to begin with that as well!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #70
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinkgarvey View Post
i replaced my stock head unit with a Kenwood KDC-952bt
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...nt/KDC-BT952HD

I still have stock speakers which can't handle the bass or the clearity of the sounds that the head unit is capable of pushing....What would you guys recommend for an all around set up? I've tried looking at Crutchfield, but I don't have a clue what a kHz or mHz's are! I'm looking for some good bass with clarity but I don't want to have a sub. I don't mind installing an amp for the speakers but I don't even know where to begin with that as well!
kHz is kilohertz or 1000 cycles per second. mHz is megahertz or 1,000,000 cycles per second. I just replaced my factory stock crap with JBL GTO928/GTO628. Great clarity, pretty decent bass and a good price. Picked up all four speakers from sonicelectronix.com for about $120. Speaker adapters and wire harnesses will run you extra.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #71
RocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocktheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
kHz is kilohertz or 1000 cycles per second. mHz is megahertz or 1,000,000 cycles per second. I just replaced my factory stock crap with JBL GTO928/GTO628. Great clarity, pretty decent bass and a good price. Picked up all four speakers from sonicelectronix.com for about $120. Speaker adapters and wire harnesses will run you extra.

I thought the only wire harness I needed was for the headunit? speaker adapters are separate! Dang they should have a setup for newbs like myself!

Seems like you had to modify the speakers for the front, 6x9?? 5x7 is whats stock and not sure what stock is in the back but dang
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #72
looking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the roughlooking4vr is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brad
looking4vr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought the only wire harness I needed was for the headunit? speaker adapters are separate! Dang they should have a setup for newbs like myself!

Seems like you had to modify the speakers for the front, 6x9?? 5x7 is whats stock and not sure what stock is in the back but dang
You don't "have" to have harnesses for any of it - it's for convenience, although I don't recommend anyone but the most experienced technicians attempt a head unit install without a wiring harness
For the speakers, if you cut the harness off and leave enough on the plug side you can easily reconnect later if you need to reinstall your factory gear.

The factory front speakers are 6x9 not 5x7
Old 03-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #73
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

The stock speakers use a proprietary connector. You can always cut the wires if you want but it's easier to just buy the wire adapters. They're about $6 each. As for the speaker adapters, tacotunes.com sells some nice ones. Or is you decide to go the cheap route and make your own. Some folks just buy some plastic cutting boards from walmart and use the stockers as a template to cut them to shape.

The stock speakers are 6x9 in the front and 6 1/2 in the back. But the mounting points on the door are spread out further. See.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...eakers-004.jpg
Old 03-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4vr View Post
You don't "have" to have harnesses for any of it - it's for convenience, although I don't recommend anyone but the most experienced technicians attempt a head unit install without a wiring harness
For the speakers, if you cut the harness off and leave enough on the plug side you can easily reconnect later if you need to reinstall your factory gear.

The factory front speakers are 6x9 not 5x7
But you have a 2nd gen and I have a 1st.......crutchfields telling me 5x7 with 6x8 opening. THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ME!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU View Post
The stock speakers use a proprietary connector. You can always cut the wires if you want but it's easier to just buy the wire adapters. They're about $6 each. As for the speaker adapters, tacotunes.com sells some nice ones. Or is you decide to go the cheap route and make your own. Some folks just buy some plastic cutting boards from walmart and use the stockers as a template to cut them to shape.

The stock speakers are 6x9 in the front and 6 1/2 in the back. But the mounting points on the door are spread out further. See.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...eakers-004.jpg

damn....so these are too small? http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-7-I...d_rhf_sc_p_d_1
Old 03-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #76

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM   #78
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
Yes.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #79
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
Yes.
Thanks Mr. Marv, I know just enough to help install a HU, but i've never messed with subs (or amps) before.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #80
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
So more questions, I got this wiring kit free with my sub, so i figure i'll go ahead and use it, I'm planning on running the sub power to the battery, and grounding the sub to a seat bolt, is this fine?
Will i need to add a relay so the amp isn't always pulling power, or is this a non-issue?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142PA10...t.html?tp=2919
For the RCA's (?) that run from the sub to the HU, can I just run these under the carpet next to the trans tunnel and up behind the HU?

Products Discussed in this Thread