1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Buy "Geek Squad" install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by chieffan2, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    chieffan2

chieffan2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    westin side steps, black grille, oem skid plate, Pioneer AVIC-Z1000 Nav
    Anyone used them for a Navigation install. I bought a pioneer Z1100BT with steering wheel controls and Sat. Wondering if they will do a decent job on the full install. Cost is about $200.

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    tcBob

tcBob Gringo Bandito Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 V6 Black
    someone else on here had them do their audio install without issues

3. Jan 17, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    AvsFanTRD

AvsFanTRD Oh gravity, thou art a heartless bitch!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Off Road Black
    rear suspension TSB, sockmonkey bed decals, weathertech floor liners, TRD seat covers, tailgate pop n lock, rear diff breather relocation, center console lock, Viper Alarm, extra D-rings in bed, 5100's on all 4 corners
    If I recall correctly Kappes03 works for the geek squad, I'd ask him about their quality of work

4. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    If you bought it outside of BB, ask about their warranty for installation and stuff. Just make sure they warrant something even if it wasn't bought in store.

5. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    I've used them to install a pioneer deck (8-10 years ago and most of the features still work) I have had installs on GPS units and XM radio installs on several cars. But like everything else you got to be careful and watch who does the work. Overall I would say they do quality work but there are always those few....

6. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    Really depends on the installer. Some are just kids that don't know what they are doing, and some are guru's. I had a remote start installed at our local BB in my wifes push to start Murano, and dude did a great job.

7. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:05 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Its a hit or miss everywhere...depending on the installer.

8. Jan 18, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    Pitt1552

Pitt1552 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Regular Cab 4x4
    I worked as an installer for best buy through college, and can say that the quality of the work will vary greatly from installer to installer. Talk to the installer who will be performing the work, make sure they have their certifications, and see how long they've been installing. At our store we had a couple guys that had been at it for years... and we would rotate out a new guy every few months (breaking/scratching things, having to reteach simple tasks n so on). Other thing to watch for is that they dont hit you for any unnecessary fees. Our management was big on nickle and diming people when numbers were low, some people followed along, others didn't. If you go in knowing what the work should cost you wont have a problem. Also, make note of the condition of the interior with the installer before the work begins that way if something is damaged you have it on record. In my opinion if the installer sounds like he knows what he is doing and the price is right I'd say go for it. That applies not only to best buy but to any shop you are gettin work done at.

9. Jan 19, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    CoreyJ

CoreyJ Well-Known Member

Member:
    Laurel, MS
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    I am an installer for Best Buy. Like everyone else said, it varies widely from store to store.

Make sure you note the condition of your truck, then make sure the installer does his checkout of the condition of the truck and writes everything down BEFORE you sign the paper. If you just sign it before he writes down anything, he can screw up, then write down it was screwed up on the paper, and you may be out of luck.

10. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    chieffan2

chieffan2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    westin side steps, black grille, oem skid plate, Pioneer AVIC-Z1000 Nav
    Cool. Thanks everyone. My truck is brand new so I don't want anything to happen to it. Good advice all around.

Products Discussed in

To Top