1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Most Economical Subwoofer Solution?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by IrishPilot, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Finally made my mind up on hardware and ordered a CD-105 and some infinity speakers. I already know that Im going to find myself desiring some more base so Ive started doing research into sub solutions.

Im no car audio wizard though, and feel lost in regards to subs, enclosures, amps, etc.

So whats a simple, affordable Sub solution for an average listener looking for all around improved sound?
    Am I going to need an amp?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Im looking to keep it simple. I listen to music 100% of the time when driving, always through my ipod, and I want some well rounded quality thump!

2. Jan 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    Kevin20

Kevin20 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pueblo, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Complete Stereo Upgrade, Python 991 remote start, security, and aftermarket door locks, K&N cold air intake, cherry bomb dual out muffler, sway away 2.0 coilovers and skyjacker 3 inch leaf springs
    If you want any type of sub you are going to need an amplifier to drive it. you don't need anything massive but just something to get you going. you could always do a small enclosure with a 10 or even a bass tube you have some options it just depends on what you wanna do.

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    IMO, your best bet from an economic standpoint would be to buy a powered subwoofer. A powered sub already has a amp built into it. Based on their reviews, some good buys would be a Bazooka BTA6100 or Infinity Basslink. I myself bought a Boss Bass600 sub, although I have yet to install it :eek:

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Yeah I ended up building a custom sub for behind the drivers side rear, and ordered a PIONEER TS-SW2541D based on a recommendation from Mr Marv and a KENWOOD KAC-8104D to power it.

Ive got some Infinity speakers that Im going to use Marv's baffles to install in the doors, and hopefully at some point Ill pop for an amp for those as well.

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    How does that thing sound once you got it installed?

6. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I've got a Kenwood powered subwoofer. It won't rattle the windows, but it gives some pretty good bass. I've listened to some systems with an amp and sub enclosure, and it doesn't sound anything like that. To me, that setup is overpowering, and all you hear is the thump. With the setup I have you hear clear baselines along with everything else. I listen to mostly classic rock. Listen to a few systems before you make your mind up. Here's a pic of mine. It's a Kenwood PSW-101 if you want to research it. Hope this helps.
    [​IMG]

7. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    smithrw

smithrw Well-Known Member

Member:
    wichita, kansas
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma sr5
    Put in an Infinity bass link in. I fit real nice and gives pretty good bass for a powered sub. It won't rattle the windows but it will shake the seats.

8. Feb 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    asphaltpilot

asphaltpilot CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    I returned it because it wasn't working properly. There are plenty of reviews on this sub being good so I'm pretty confident that I just received a lemon. I should have the new one in this week.

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 1:43 AM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    I just bought the same amplified sub the BossBass600, on Amazon for 100 shipped should be here next week. For that price I figure I can't go wrong, I like the fact that I can fit it under 1 of the front seats, and not loose any room. I just want a little more bass so I think it should do the trick.

Irish pilot that sounds like a good setup, if the BossBass sucks I plan on going that route and putting the same pioneer shallow mount 10" behind the back seats(I have a 1st gen double cab). I'll let you guys know how the BassBoss sounds when I get it hooked up.

10. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:41 AM
    DaytonLax14

DaytonLax14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    98 extended cab TRD Off Road
    I think the real question here is what is your budget? I would stay away from powered subs if I were you.

11. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    order some Shallow mount P3s from Ebay, then get a box from ebay for the tacoma, and get a quality amp from ebay...then install yourself. BOOM, your hitten hard for cheap.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Feb 16, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I installed my BOSS sub yesterday. I got the bigger version with the 10" sub in it. and well that thing sucks balls. I cant even hear it while driving down the freeway....I was better just off using my components. You have to turn the bass up too much to hear it and then it gets way distorted.
    Im gonna take it past an audio shop after work today and see if they can fine tune it or something to make it any better, but so far I am not pleased.

13. Feb 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I installed the boss bass 1200 this weekend also, I think it sounds pretty good for 125.00. It isn't the best bass I have ever heard but it gets the job done. Keason, did you play with the bass adjustments on your HU? Mine really didnt do much until i started to adjust the HU settings. I am not done tuning it, its still a bit boomy, but I think I can get it pretty tight eventually. If you have an alpine I may can help you with adjustments.

14. Feb 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Does anyone have pics of their setups & where they put them?

15. Feb 17, 2010 at 8:11 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
  16. Feb 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    glandnut

glandnut Reserve Squirrel Hair

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    16' 4Runner TEP, 01' Ext cab 4x4
    secret stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top