Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

07 Taco Cd AUX mod

Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
wljohns is on a distinguished road
wljohns's Tacoma Gallery
07 Taco Cd AUX mod

Do the mod at you OWN RISK if u screw up u could lose your CD ability. If you can't take it apart and solder with confidence then by all means buy a USA spec or something. This is just my way.
With this mod there is NO need for any relays or switches. When a external audio device is plugged in and powered on the onboard sound processor senses the slightly higher mA and cuts the sound from the CD. So no need for a silent cd or anything you can play ony ole cd just so the unit knows ther is a cd in and plays. I will post more pics tomorrow and mayber even a vid of the performance..

Good LUCK

If the pics are to small I will try to redo.. I tried it and the writing is tooo small I will redo tomorrow and redo but anyway you can gets the jist of it now...

Here is mu HU

Here is the inside with the CD player removed. BE CAREFUL WITH THE RIBBON.
This is the points of contact

here is the back of the unit showing placement of the 1/8 jack

here is the 1/8 jack installed with the common or ground soldered

This is the wires soldered to the cd player that go to the 1/8 jack on the back of the HU

Back of HU 1/8 jack installed and labeled

Back of HU after putting it back together..
Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
wljohns's Tacoma Gallery
Here is the actual back

Old 06-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
did you actually get this to work? What I am understanding is you directly connected a female end mini 3.5 inpute directly to the cd player? I am confident in my soldering ability and this has got me all interested, but I would like some more clarification. I actually have a 2009 dash in my 2005 Tacoma (Long story) but I have the factory aux input from a 2009 tacoma. The problem is that my 2005 radio is not design to take an aux input so I would like to try your method; but instead of mounting the input in the back I will simply have it where the OEM input is on my 2009 dash.

P.S. your text in the picture is a little hard to read. can you e-mail your actually pictures to me?
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The last post was on: 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM

The OP's last activity was on: Last Activity: 12-02-2010 05:25 PM

I don't think you are going to get an answer right away but he might magically log on one day.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Yeah I saw that... I am hoping it sends an e-mail update. Either way I am going to try this when I get home I think I understand it well enough. I will be sure to document it... My worry is that I have a 6 disc jbl, so hopefully they are similar.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
It works if you work it.

Solved! I just tested it with my truck. It works better than I hoped. Give me some time I took lots of pictures and I will make a step by step write up and call it something like "how to wire an aux input for under $5". I am stoked though, just in time before my big road trip.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
CrazyMike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
CrazyMike's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod guys , I just did it on my truck , works perfect
I took my sweet time to do it , about 2 hr , but is nice and neat , everything ty wraped in place and double checked . took me some time to figure the proper channels orientation on my wires but is good now

thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
wljohns's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry guys I have moved on to a Tundra. But yes this did work. And worked great. The only thing I changed was I actually moved to jack to the front panel and added a switch to change between cd and aux.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
CrazyMike is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
CrazyMike's Tacoma Gallery
Good idea dude , dont have to unplug all the time
Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
NoLimits is on a distinguished road

Marines: 1st/3rd Marine Logistics Group
Name: Barry
NoLimits's Tacoma Gallery
Oh I am so happy this works, just installed it. I was about to dig myself a hole because I thought it didnt work at first, but apparently I have to run a cd in there but it plays just fine, going to sound great with the two 12s im putting in today. Thank you TW!!!!

*The cd I put in there which is the only cd I have in the apt right now, is a motherboard bios driver cd so it just reads "error" so Im not sure what an actual music cd would do, probably nothing different Im just letting you guys know.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #11
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimits View Post
Oh I am so happy this works, just installed it. I was about to dig myself a hole because I thought it didnt work at first, but apparently I have to run a cd in there but it plays just fine, going to sound great with the two 12s im putting in today. Thank you TW!!!!

*The cd I put in there which is the only cd I have in the apt right now, is a motherboard bios driver cd so it just reads "error" so Im not sure what an actual music cd would do, probably nothing different Im just letting you guys know.
Lol never thought of putting a data cd in it.. Lol
Old 01-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
tsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of lighttsilliker is a glorious beacon of light

tsilliker's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to tsilliker
I just performed this mod on my 2005 with the single disc non-JBL head unit. Incidentally, the label on top of this unit identifies the manufacturer as Panasonic.

Instead of wiring up a jack on the dash, which then requires a jumper to go from player to the jack, I used a cable which had the headphone jack on one end, and right/left phono plugs on the other. This had the advantage of identifying which was right and which was left as the phonos were white and red. (Red=Right) I then routed the cable out from underneath the dash to a place near my right knee with enough length to use it while sitting in the driver's seat.

The mod works quite well. The audio seems full range and clear from my Sony MP3 player, but I have to use a higher volume level than I would when listening to a CD - this could be due to the Sony output levels being a bit lower.

Plugging in and playing the MP3 player does not override an audio CD with my unit as the original poster indicates. To solve this issue, I did what NoLimits did, and put a data CD in the slot. In my case, it was a blank CD-R. As he reported, ERROR comes up on the display. No worries, as the radio switches the amplifier over to the CD source anyway and the whole rig works as planned.

Here is a photo of the solder point. The cell phone camera focused on the plug and not the circuit board, unfortunately. For grounding, I left enough from the ground braid to solder to the holes that are visible in the photo near the tip of the plug. While I used a fine tip soldering iron for the circuit board, I used a big ol' Weller soldering gun to solder these ground wires to the chassis.