1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Taco Cd AUX mod

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by wljohns, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    wljohns

wljohns [OP] Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4X4 TRD
    Do the mod at you OWN RISK if u screw up u could lose your CD ability. If you can't take it apart and solder with confidence then by all means buy a USA spec or something. This is just my way.
    With this mod there is NO need for any relays or switches. When a external audio device is plugged in and powered on the onboard sound processor senses the slightly higher mA and cuts the sound from the CD. So no need for a silent cd or anything you can play ony ole cd just so the unit knows ther is a cd in and plays. I will post more pics tomorrow and mayber even a vid of the performance..

Good LUCK

If the pics are to small I will try to redo.. I tried it and the writing is tooo small I will redo tomorrow and redo but anyway you can gets the jist of it now...

Here is mu HU
    [​IMG]

Here is the inside with the CD player removed. BE CAREFUL WITH THE RIBBON.
    This is the points of contact
    [​IMG]

here is the back of the unit showing placement of the 1/8 jack
    [​IMG]
    here is the 1/8 jack installed with the common or ground soldered
    [​IMG]
    This is the wires soldered to the cd player that go to the 1/8 jack on the back of the HU
    [​IMG]
    Back of HU 1/8 jack installed and labeled
    [​IMG]
    Back of HU after putting it back together..

2. Jan 24, 2010 at 8:57 PM
    wljohns

wljohns [OP] Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4X4 TRD
    Here is the actual back

[​IMG]

3. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    did you actually get this to work? What I am understanding is you directly connected a female end mini 3.5 inpute directly to the cd player? I am confident in my soldering ability and this has got me all interested, but I would like some more clarification. I actually have a 2009 dash in my 2005 Tacoma (Long story) but I have the factory aux input from a 2009 tacoma. The problem is that my 2005 radio is not design to take an aux input so I would like to try your method; but instead of mounting the input in the back I will simply have it where the OEM input is on my 2009 dash.

P.S. your text in the picture is a little hard to read. can you e-mail your actually pictures to me?

4. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I saw that... I am hoping it sends an e-mail update. Either way I am going to try this when I get home I think I understand it well enough. I will be sure to document it... My worry is that I have a 6 disc jbl, so hopefully they are similar.

5. Jun 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Solved! I just tested it with my truck. It works better than I hoped. Give me some time I took lots of pictures and I will make a step by step write up and call it something like "how to wire an aux input for under $5". I am stoked though, just in time before my big road trip.

6. Aug 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    CrazyMike

CrazyMike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada , Aldergrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sr5
    Great mod guys , I just did it on my truck , works perfect :)
    I took my sweet time to do it , about 2 hr , but is nice and neat , everything ty wraped in place and double checked . took me some time to figure the proper channels orientation on my wires but is good now

thanks

7. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    wljohns

wljohns [OP] Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco 4X4 TRD
    Sorry guys I have moved on to a Tundra. But yes this did work. And worked great. The only thing I changed was I actually moved to jack to the front panel and added a switch to change between cd and aux.

8. Aug 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    CrazyMike

CrazyMike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Canada , Aldergrove
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sr5
    Good idea dude , dont have to unplug all the time :thumbsup:

9. Dec 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    NoLimits

NoLimits Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barry
    Tulsa
    Vehicle:
    Black Longbed 4x4
    Oh I am so happy this works, just installed it. I was about to dig myself a hole because I thought it didnt work at first, but apparently I have to run a cd in there but it plays just fine, going to sound great with the two 12s im putting in today. Thank you TW!!!!

*The cd I put in there which is the only cd I have in the apt right now, is a motherboard bios driver cd so it just reads "error" so Im not sure what an actual music cd would do, probably nothing different Im just letting you guys know.

10. Dec 20, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Lol never thought of putting a data cd in it.. Lol

11. Jan 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    tsilliker

tsilliker Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 V6 4x4 6spd
    Tundra wheels, Access roll-up tonneau, D-rings in front of bed floor, tinted glass in doors to match privacy glass, synthetic oil, Husky floor liners, fog lights, constant power mod for 12v plugs, heated mirrors, brake controller, billet grill, radio aux input mod.
    I just performed this mod on my 2005 with the single disc non-JBL head unit. Incidentally, the label on top of this unit identifies the manufacturer as Panasonic.

Instead of wiring up a jack on the dash, which then requires a jumper to go from player to the jack, I used a cable which had the headphone jack on one end, and right/left phono plugs on the other. This had the advantage of identifying which was right and which was left as the phonos were white and red. (Red=Right) I then routed the cable out from underneath the dash to a place near my right knee with enough length to use it while sitting in the driver's seat.

The mod works quite well. The audio seems full range and clear from my Sony MP3 player, but I have to use a higher volume level than I would when listening to a CD - this could be due to the Sony output levels being a bit lower.

Plugging in and playing the MP3 player does not override an audio CD with my unit as the original poster indicates. To solve this issue, I did what NoLimits did, and put a data CD in the slot. In my case, it was a blank CD-R. As he reported, ERROR comes up on the display. No worries, as the radio switches the amplifier over to the CD source anyway and the whole rig works as planned.

Here is a photo of the solder point. The cell phone camera focused on the plug and not the circuit board, unfortunately. For grounding, I left enough from the ground braid to solder to the holes that are visible in the photo near the tip of the plug. While I used a fine tip soldering iron for the circuit board, I used a big ol' Weller soldering gun to solder these ground wires to the chassis.

2013-01-10184028_1b6b4791f0a8d2f2e87a37cfefc1cdbd6dad5b3b.jpg

12. May 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Daytona Taco

Daytona Taco Great Job!!

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Daytona Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner TRD OR
    billy 5100s, eibach springs, spidertrax spacers, Black badges, grillecraft upper/lower black mesh, off road lights behind grille, paint trd rims, bhlm, lower valence black, grille surround black, 8000k hids, magnaflow side exhaust, carbon fiber vinyl inlay on trd logo, led interior lights and tag lights, tow hook, CB and PA
    i would love to do this but i cant read anything!!

13. Mar 13, 2017 at 1:15 PM
    mikaymusic

mikaymusic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I have the bare bones basic stereo in my 07 Tacoma... it actually sounds very nice to me, and I don't want to muck up my dash with an aftermarket radio--not to mention that the user interface on most of those are terrible.

The pics are pretty fuzzy above... can anyone provide a more clear instructable on how to mod this? I would think that I could find a front panel jack to use...maybe even one that is switched by inserting the plug.

Products Discussed in

To Top