Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How Well Does Your PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Work?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
How Well Does Your PAC SWI-JACK Steering Wheel Control Work?

Ive only recently had it installed with my new Alpine HU, and am still getting used to how the steering wheel controls respond more slowly. Is this what you guys are finding?

If I want to go to the next song, I either have to press hard or press and hold for a second instead of the stock single "click".

What about you guys?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
About the same. Hardest part I have is going backward to a previous song. Other than that I really can't complain.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
About the same. Hardest part I have is going backward to a previous song. Other than that I really can't complain.
Yeah I hear ya. Its still worth having as its so convenient to use steering wheel controls rather than to reach for the HU. Never had a remote, but Im sure thats nice as well.

Overall very pleased with the PAC SWI-JACK but I wouldnt mind that lag going away. Im slowly getting used to it, its only a very slight lag.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
TREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really nice
Name: Trey
TREY4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the SWI-PS with a Pioneer AVIC 110BT. Purchased for $42 off ebay. My unit has the latest rev firmware (1.6.8) which allows the unit to control the phone functions as well as the voice command. It works better than I thought it would after reading these posts. I don't really have any lag and the install was a breeze. I was able to program it first try.

Original Volume up/down = programmed these buttons for volume up/down
Track/Seek up = programmed this button to answer the phone
Track/Seek down = programmed this button to hang up the phone
Mode = programmed this button to control the voice control

Everything works great!
Old 02-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Married With Children
pokeng will become famous soon enoughpokeng will become famous soon enough

pokeng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREY4x4 View Post
I installed the SWI-PS with a Pioneer AVIC 110BT. Purchased for $42 off ebay. My unit has the latest rev firmware (1.6.8) which allows the unit to control the phone functions as well as the voice command. It works better than I thought it would after reading these posts. I don't really have any lag and the install was a breeze. I was able to program it first try.

Original Volume up/down = programmed these buttons for volume up/down
Track/Seek up = programmed this button to answer the phone
Track/Seek down = programmed this button to hang up the phone
Mode = programmed this button to control the voice control

Everything works great!
This will give you more buttons...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-controls.html
Old 02-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
TREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really niceTREY4x4 is just really nice
Name: Trey
TREY4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeng View Post
Thanks for the reply, but what exactly do you mean? I understand I can program the following (I just programmed it for what I thought would be best for my use):

Programming order for SWI-PS

Volume Up..............................1
Volume Down...........................2
Mute......................................3
Track Up/ Seek Up...................4
Track Down/ Seek Down............5
Source...................................6
Preset Up/ Disc Up....................7
Preset Down/ Disc Down............8
Band......................................9

New functions added for Pioneer

Phone Status, Rev. 1.6.7.........10
Answer Call, Rev. 1.6.7............11
End Call, Rev. 1.6.7.................12
Voice Recognition, Rev. 1.6.8....13

Are you saying that I can have more than 5 functions? Can I push two buttons at the same time for additional functionality?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Married With Children
pokeng will become famous soon enoughpokeng will become famous soon enough

pokeng's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but what exactly do you mean?
You can add a OEM bluetooth buttons on the right side of the steering wheel and free up your radio controls on the left for the radio.

Quote:
Are you saying that I can have more than 5 functions? Can I push two buttons at the same time for additional functionality?
This I don't know. Mine's on order.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
are any of yall using the "new" PAC SWI PS?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Magnetik has a spectacular aura aboutMagnetik has a spectacular aura about
Magnetik's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I'm a stereo tech, MECP cert. I've installed a bunch of these and the other models (pac PS/JACK/X) and they all have a little lag. It's normal =).
Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetik View Post
Hey guys, I'm a stereo tech, MECP cert. I've installed a bunch of these and the other models (pac PS/JACK/X) and they all have a little lag. It's normal =).
Do you think it's because they may have spec'd the wrong resistor? I've read a few other people say they used a 180 in lieu of a 150 (I think I got that right).
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
Magnetik has a spectacular aura aboutMagnetik has a spectacular aura about
Magnetik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
Do you think it's because they may have spec'd the wrong resistor? I've read a few other people say they used a 180 in lieu of a 150 (I think I got that right).
Actually the resistors don't affect the 'speed' at all.

The steering wheel controls have a certian resistance they work at. The resistor is only there to put the PAC adapter into the resistor range of the factory steering wheel controls.

What this means is that if you change that resistor value, (higher or lower value) then either the buttons won't work at all, or just one or two, or just one, or all but one, etc.

I hope that makes sense

oh btw for the 2nd gen tacos, the resistor should be a 560 ohm.