1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory XM Tuner Install - Help!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by xodeuce, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce [OP] mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    I'm trying to install the factory XM tuner, and I've gotten to a road block. It appears that the tuner controller wire is female on both ends, and the wire from the wiring harness is female as well. I've got the toyota installation manual that shows the exact connector taped up where I found it behind the driver side exterior kick panel right by the parking brake. It's just that it's female, and either end of my extension cable is female. The only male plug is the one inset in the tuner itself. Am I missing something?

[​IMG]
    Tuner Module

[​IMG]
    Extension Cable (Same on both ends)

[​IMG]
    Wiring Harness Plug

2. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    RTaylor

RTaylor Active Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    it looks to me like the tuner plugs up to the factory harness but its hard to tell from here

3. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yeah it looks that way, but the factory installation manual shows the tuner being mounted in front of the under-seat bin on the passenger side, and using that extension cable over to the wiring harness. There's also a ground wire extension, and an antenna wire extension to get over to that point.

4. Jan 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Ok, I'm now wondering if the fit kit I have was actually for a Toyota without the pre-wired XM, and as such is designed to plug into the back of the head unit itself.

5. Jan 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    tonto340

tonto340 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    When I installed the XM in my 2009, the cables were routed to the driver's side kick panel, not the passenger's side.

6. Jan 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yeah I should have clarified. Cables are run on the driver side under the kick panels. Then they run across the under seat storage bin to the XM tuner which sits on the passenger side just in front of the bin, between the bin and the carpet. The routing of the cable isn't really the issue, it's that I've got a female end trying to mate to a female end. It appears I have the wrong fit kit.

Can anyone verify if there are two part numbers, one for a pre-wired antenna / xm-ready setup, and one for a non pre-wired that would require the cable to go directly to the back of the head unit? If i need to just order another fit kit that's the correct part number I would like to make sure it's the right one.

7. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    tonto340

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    My cables plugged in behind the driver's side kickpanel. Since my truck was prewired for the XM tuner the tuner wires ran through the rear under-seat storage, out the driver's side, then up to the kickpanel.

8. Jan 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Yeah, that's how mine are supposed to run. The stuff is all there in the kickpanel, both the antenna plug and the plug for the tuner. Was your tuner plug that was taped up in the driver side kick panel a male or female plug?

9. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    tonto340

Member:
    Gambrills, MD
    That I don't remember. I just remember it went together correctly.

10. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    Tacoma-09

Tacoma-09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco TRD Sport DC
    Did you buy the correct fit kit for your install? The correct part number is PT546-35090

11. Feb 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    pb4ugotobed

pb4ugotobed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry I didn't get your PM until today, our twins were born friday and I've been super busy with all that and just now got a chance to check my email. Anyways, in our PM's I did tell you what you'd have to do with that

That is the correct plug you're seeing in the kickpanel, however it won't work with this kit. There's no reason to have to go buy any additional parts, you'll just have to run the AVN cable from the back of the radio back to the tuner instead of running it from the kickpanel. It will work all the same, won't affect anything else. Just a little extra work, shouldn't take but an extra 15 minutes with everything. If you have any other questions, please email me instead of PM. I don't forsee myself on the internet much here in the next few weeks or so at best...

thanks

12. Feb 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Right on. Thanks for the clarification. I missed that in the PM and got all determined to follow the installation instructions and was like, what the heck? Good to know. Thanks for the reply, and congrats on the twins!!

13. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    pb4ugotobed

pb4ugotobed Well-Known Member

Member:

That's why I sent you both of those installation manuals. One is for the xm with the right fit kit to show you where Toyota wants you to put the tuner and where the antenna plug is and stuff... the other one basically shows you the breakdown to the old style when they weren't prewired and you had to run all the cables yourself.

I'd run the antenna wire like it says in the manual, and you can stick the tuner in the same spot. For ease, I'd run the big black AVN cable down the passenger side. From behind the radio, pull it behind the glovebox, down the pass. kickpanel and put can pull it to the back from there pretty easily.

Like I said, if you have any questions at all just let me know and I'd be happy to help :)

14. Feb 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM
    xodeuce

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    Ahhhh, I gotcha. Yeah nothing like a good RTFM every now and then, lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top