Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

adding steering wheel controls

Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Swollen Member
8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

8th sin's Tacoma Gallery
adding steering wheel controls

I'm interested in looking to fit the OEM steering wheel controls to my truck. I have an Eclipse head unit that does not require an adapter for the controls (two wire hookup + ground). Does anyone know:

1 - If I can run the wires directly from the button panel to the head unit? In other words, are there only three wires that come out of the button panel or is there some sort of "brain box"?

2 - It is possible to replace just the airbag cover with the one for the steering wheel controls? If I have to buy a new airbag, this project will get thrown in the too expensive pile. I found the control assemblies online for ~$80 but I can't find a part no for the cover.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Swollen Member
8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

8th sin's Tacoma Gallery
Found a part number for the buttons (left for audio and right for BT): 84250-04010-B. Still no word on if I can just swap the steering wheel pad, although from some pictures I found it does look possible.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
earn3dale is on a distinguished road
earn3dale's Tacoma Gallery
bump also interested.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Tucson is on a distinguished road
Tucson's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

bump, anyone have a part number for the steering wheel pad with audio controls?
Old 04-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Love the Tick!
Gingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to all

Name: G
Gingrbredman's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at this discussion. They show successfully how to add the bluetooth buttons.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post985812
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Tucson's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone without the steering wheel audio controls (base model) tried to cut the steering wheel to fit the switches?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Tucson's Tacoma Gallery

Monitor.. . . could this thread be added into the other Steering wheel audio control thread so it can be tracked easier?
Old 04-24-2010, 05:05 AM   #9
Love the Tick!
Gingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to allGingrbredman is a name known to all

Name: G
Gingrbredman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson View Post
Monitor.. . . could this thread be added into the other Steering wheel audio control thread so it can be tracked easier?
There isn't much information in this thread that helps anyone, except to point you to the thread which has the information. So, you would have a thread with the directions, combined with this one, asking the questions. You could click on that link above , and subscribe to that thread so it is easier to find in the future.