Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Static In Speakers With Volume At Zero? (Recent Amp Add)

Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Static In Speakers With Volume At Zero? (Recent Amp Add)

Just got back today from having my amps and sub built-installed, and one thing I wasnt prepared for was the static in the speakers when you turn the deck to zero volume. Normally I am used to it being silent, but there is a noticeable...hiss? Nothing outrageous but its there. They told me its normal from the gain from the amps.

Truth?

Not a big deal, just something I never heard mentioned so totally wasnt prepared for.

EDI: The noise is there no matter where I set the gain.
Here is a video I made just this morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoDqvseSbIY
Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMZTRD View Post
Its coming from the RCA 's
So, is that normal? Can it be changed?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #4

Found this thread...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...-speakers.html

Ill have to play with the gain on the amp in the morning when I have better light.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
It's definitely the gain setting. It's likely too high. What equipment do you have?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #6

Alpine CDA-105 HU
Alpine SPS-600c Components
Polk PA250.2 amp

Pioneer 10" Shallow Mount
Alpine MRP-M500 amp

Cant wait to take pictures tomorrow. These guys did a fantastic job on the install. Looks simple and awesome.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #7

Well...dont think its the gain. I dialed the gain all the way to zero and the fuzz was still there.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Does the hiss increase when the volume is turned up? Try putting on a track that has some silence in it and work the volume really quickly to see if the hiss changes.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
its dead people trying to talk to you
Old 02-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Does the hiss increase when the volume is turned up? Try putting on a track that has some silence in it and work the volume really quickly to see if the hiss changes.
No the volume of the static is constant no matter what the stereo is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoDqvseSbIY
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #12
Sounds Gooooood

Sounds like gain hiss but you said it was all the way down so no dice.

Check your ground like others have said and then other than that I don't know what to tell you. That amp doesn't have the greatest signal to noise ratio but it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 AM   #13

Ive been troubleshooting. I disconnected both RCAs going into the amp and the sound continued. Not sure if that helps anyone or not.

I took the truck back to the shop this morning and the techs arent back in until monday morning.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
Ive been troubleshooting. I disconnected both RCAs going into the amp and the sound continued. Not sure if that helps anyone or not.
Actually that was going to be the next thing I'd say you do. That lets us know it's the amp and not the RCA's inducing noise. That amp is either connected wrong or it's just crappy. Get them to fix it.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Actually that was going to be the next thing I'd say you do. That lets us know it's the amp and not the RCA's inducing noise. That amp is either connected wrong or it's just crappy. Get them to fix it.
Man I hope thats correct. I cant even begin to tell you how much piece of mind it gives me to have this narrowed down. Cant thank you enough for sticking with the thread and contributing insight. I knew that couldnt be normal for amp'ed speakers. I look forward to having this resolved.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #16

SOLVED!!!

And thank God. It WAS the amp. Replaced and not only has the HISS gone away, but the output from the speakers sounds MUCH more full as well.

Now I just have to get the steering wheel controls figured out. They stopped working after the install. I mentioned it to the guys and they claimed they amp install wouldnt have done anything to the steering wheel controls as nothing was disconnected etc. They referred me back to another shop that did the HU/Steering Wheel Controls install.

Almost there. Ugh.