Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

two questions about swapping out stock radio

Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
cleanerguy is on a distinguished road
cleanerguy's Tacoma Gallery
two questions about swapping out stock radio

I would like to remove my stock non-jbl unit and put in a single din unit. My truck also has the dealer installed XM receiver behind the back seat. My questions are.

1. Can I retain the use of the steering wheel controls? With an after market unit.

2. Will I be able to use the same xm receiver already installed if I buy a XM ready head unit?

Thanks,

Cleanerguy
Old 02-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
1. Yes, no, and maybe. It all depends on what HU you buy.

Some HU's will not work with the steering wheel controls no matter what you do, some will work as long as you install an after market adapter (control modual), and some will be a direct plug and play.

2. Not sure. I don't have any experience with that.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
BrianUNC is on a distinguished road
BrianUNC's Tacoma Gallery
So which ones are direct plug-and-play? From the last couple of days of reading, it looks like Eclipse should be. Any others? Thanks!