Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

What amplifier for my setup?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
What amplifier for my setup?

I'm replacing the stock head unit/JL Audio Cleansweep with a new headunit. I want to get an amp appropriate for my items. I was thinking about a Polk Audio pa1100.5 5 channel amp to save space and make wiring easier.

Does anyone know if the speakers can be run at 4 ohms with the sub at 2 ohms? Or is that not recommended (should they all be at the same ohm rating)? Should I just go with a 4 channel and a mono amp for the sub.

Here are the components I have so far:

Replacement headunit:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS (not installed yet)

Currently installed:
Stock radio with JL Audio Cleansweep

Phoenix Gold Ryval 1000w 4-channel amp

Front and back wired in parallel on front channel of the amp (2 ohm):
Polk Audio db691 6" x 9" 3-way Car Speakers in the front
Polk Audio DB651 6-1/2" Coaxial 2-Way in the back doors

Bridged on the back channels at 8 ohms:
Image Dynamics ID10D4.v3 dual voice coil subwoofer
Old 02-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
The Polk audio amp is quite large so be prepared to give up some space for it. My suggestions would be either a PDX5 or a JL HD 900/5 based on your setup and space constraints that I know we both share. The Alpine being the cheaper option and the JL being the one I own; it's not cheap but it's a fantastic package.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
And you can run the fronts and rears at different impedances and it's no problem.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
FurbiesAndBeans is on a distinguished road
FurbiesAndBeans's Tacoma Gallery
For me, i would steer away from 5 channel amps as they can be expensive like the JLs and Alpine ones. Why spend more money for the same quality when it could be had for less?

If you do decide to go with a 5 channel, then it's fine to run the subwoofer at a lower ohm than the other channels. You can even run, for example, 4 ohm speakers for the front and 2 ohm for the rears, then an 8 ohm sub for the 5th channel lol

Nice headunit btw
Old 02-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
The Polk audio amp is quite large so be prepared to give up some space for it. My suggestions would be either a PDX5 or a JL HD 900/5 based on your setup and space constraints that I know we both share. The Alpine being the cheaper option and the JL being the one I own; it's not cheap but it's a fantastic package.
Wow, that Polk amplifier reallly is a beast. I didn't notice the dimensions. I think I'll go with the Alpine. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post
For me, i would steer away from 5 channel amps as they can be expensive like the JLs and Alpine ones. Why spend more money for the same quality when it could be had for less?

If you do decide to go with a 5 channel, then it's fine to run the subwoofer at a lower ohm than the other channels. You can even run, for example, 4 ohm speakers for the front and 2 ohm for the rears, then an 8 ohm sub for the 5th channel lol

Nice headunit btw
Ease of install mostly. I have everything already wired, so a 5-channel amp would be mostly plug-n-play because I wouldn't have to run more wires. The Alpine is available for about $360, so it doesn't seem that expensive to me. I don't know that you'd get much cheaper running a 4-channel amp plus a sub amp.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
ROOTIN AROUND
08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of

Army: BNCOC SGL
Name: Joshua
08TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with JL audio amps. I love JL
Old 02-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
tacomarock is on a distinguished road
tacomarock's Tacoma Gallery
Pdx5

You can get them for $350 or so at amazon,
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=PDX5&x=0&y=0