Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Nagging question, extra connectors on factory stereo unused- 2007 AC

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
uglygun is on a distinguished road
uglygun's Tacoma Gallery
Nagging question, extra connectors on factory stereo unused- 2007 AC

So I installed the Kenwood Excelon 493 about 2 weeks ago.

Had the wiring harness soldered in advance for a quick and easy quick swap from factory unit to the Kenwood unit.

Crutchfield wiring adapters, two of them total. One for the main power/speakers and all that, second one for the rear speakers of my Access Cab.

That's what I was expecting when I pulled my stock head unit, just two wires into the back of the factory stereo. To my surprise there are like 4 connectors going into the back of that SOB. So I've got extra connectors floating around in the back of my dash now that connect to god knows what.

I am thinking they are just unused floaters from some factory option that I did not have on my truck like premium sound or something along those lines.

However I noticed that my Kenwood isn't dimming with the illumination of the dash when I turn the dimmer down. Is one of the floating connectors holding a mystery illumination wire that I need to tap into?

Yeah, I wired my harness/adapter according to the instructions and diagram. I'm not a total retard when it comes to doing this stuff but this IS the first Toyota I've installed a stereo in after decades of owning Fords.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The non-JBL system has three harnesses:
1.) Power, Ground, Switch, Front speakers
2.) Rear Speakers
3.) Steering Wheel Controls

The JBL system has two harnesses:
1.) Power, Ground, Switch, Connector for external factory amp
2.) Steering Wheel Controls

If you have additional harnesses, I'm guessing they would be for Sat radio (maybe?).
Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
azTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedazTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

azTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this website:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Scroll down to the bottom to download the wiring manual for your year truck. Once you download it, you will have to dig around... but you can find an index and the pdf files are labeled by page number. In there you will find the wiring diagram for your stereo. Just study the diagrams for a bit and they will begin to make sense. I hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
uglygun is on a distinguished road
uglygun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azTRD View Post
Check out this website:

Scroll down to the bottom to download the wiring manual for your year truck. Once you download it, you will have to dig around... but you can find an index and the pdf files are labeled by page number. In there you will find the wiring diagram for your stereo. Just study the diagrams for a bit and they will begin to make sense. I hope this helps.
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Bosshoag is on a distinguished road

Name: Mr. Doogan
Bosshoag's Tacoma Gallery
Did Toyota force the Wiring manuals to be taken off of this website?

I have a 2008 Tacoma and it has three Harnesses coming out of the back of the stereo.
The harnesses that I received from Crutchfield only contained two.
So now I assume the third one is for Steering Wheel Controls from what azTRD mentioned above from the non-JBL system?
Do I just let this third harness float free behind my new aftermarket stereo?
Tape it off maybe?
Where can I get some steering wheel controls that'll plug into this harness that I can strap onto my steering wheel?!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of
Name: Greg
2ndchancetoyotas's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, third harness is for steering wheel controls.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
Bosshoag is on a distinguished road

Name: Mr. Doogan
Bosshoag's Tacoma Gallery
So does this mean the other end of this connection is just floating in my steering wheel waiting for me to get a new airbag and the controls to plug into it?

I buttoned up the new Receiver last night and just left this steering wheel control harness floating about behind it..
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of2ndchancetoyotas has much to be proud of
Name: Greg
2ndchancetoyotas's Tacoma Gallery
You need the steering wheel controls and possibly a different spiral cable. You can probably get the spiral cable for not too much on ebay. If you take off your airbag and there's an empty port in the spiral cable connector, then you should be good to go. Also note you might need to verify the right connector on the steering wheel controls. I took controls out of an '06 and then bought another set of controls which had a different connector on it. Might have been a change over at.....'10?

Stereo controls might be another story. Also try car-part.com under steering wheels and look for one with controls. There are even people who have bought Camry or other toyota steering wheels with the control built in. All modern Toyota steering wheel shafts should crossover.

Then you'll need a PAC SWI-RC adapter (about $45 on ebay) or the Axxess model which is supposed to be self programming. Search for the writeups on here. It's at the third plug you'll be making connections with the adapter. A little confusing at first but you can do it!