Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Relocating stock Back-up Camera

Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
ekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of light

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
Relocating stock Back-up Camera

Has anyone moved their back-up camera from the tailgate latch to somewhere else?

I use a Dakine tailgate pad for hauling bikes and it covers up the latch and therefore the camera:

It's not like I really need the camera for anything, but I don't like having it go to waste and just showing a static filled black screen in my mirror.

I also don't really need it for hooking up to a hitch, so if I could reorient it a little better to look straight out, that might be nice.

Might just try to fab up some sort of modified license plate frame mount, but if anyone else has anything else inspiring, I'd love to see it.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Don't you ever drive it without hauling bikes, and thus can remove that pad?

Is that a flap for the tailgate latch in the center?

Can't you just remove that flap, or tape it up so the camera and latch isn't covered?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
ekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of light

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Don't you ever drive it without hauling bikes, and thus can remove that pad?

Is that a flap for the tailgate latch in the center?

Can't you just remove that flap, or tape it up so the camera and latch isn't covered?
My work is bike related, so there's a bike to be hauled more often than not. It would be too much hassle to take the pad on and off all the time.

Since I never know when I'm going to throw a bike or two (or 6) in the back, I'd prefer to leave the flap as is for protection.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
Name: Mike
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
why not just buy a bike rack that you that hooks up in the hitch receiver?
Old 02-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #6

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
The pad is way cheaper, completely universal, doesn't take up space, and fits up to 6 bikes.

I've had my share of racks and had complaints about all of them.

I can live without a backup camera if need be, but I'm looking for a compromise to make it at least somewhat useful.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
woods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoods247 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

woods247's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread revival: Has anyone relocated or replaced the stock camera with an aftermarket license plate mounted camera? Is it a matter of cutting the stock wires and splicing the new camera's to the stock harness? My swing away and rtt completely block my rear view so moving the camera would be helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if Ekard every found a satisfying resolution, but my recomendation would be to cut a little window in the Dakani pad.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
bump. anyone come up with an idea? woods247 might be onto something.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 AM   #10
Bocarat is on a distinguished road
Bocarat's Tacoma Gallery
I came looking for the same answer for a different reason. I am putting on an ACE topper with a back door hatch and my tailgate will be completely removed.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:39 AM   #11
Lastplace will become famous soon enough
Lastplace's Tacoma Gallery
Cut a small hole in the flap?
Old 02-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Ricks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRicks2013 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MWSS 171, 374,
Name: Rick
Ricks2013's Tacoma Gallery
I'm looking to remove my tailgate and either put on a net something. Also wondering if anyone has relocated the camera. I love the camera function and would like to keep it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
XwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud ofXwXRYANXwX has much to be proud of
Navy: IT
XwXRYANXwX's Tacoma Gallery
http://travelswithrockythedog.blogsp...up-camera.html
Old 04-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Ralston is on a distinguished road

Name: Al
Ralston's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XwXRYANXwX View Post
Great idea here. I was about to do it when I realized the bottom edge of my rear hatch door literally goes right across this oem hole. I was thinking about buying a blank hitch receiver plug cover, cutting out a hole in it, and then mount camera in new lowered location. Might be hard to adjust camera angle...

I might just duct tape the little bugger to my rear diff....
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #15
jasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shedjasclair is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: joshua
jasclair's Tacoma Gallery
just get some velcro,and stick it to the handle, Then wallah your handle stays up and you still have a back up camera