Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Fit E-size DIN radio in 1st gen Tacoma?

Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Fit E-size DIN radio in 1st gen Tacoma?

I'm really interested in getting this radio http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD3...ures_and_specs

However, according to crutchfield, it will not fit in a 1st Gen Tacoma due to the differences in chassis mounting design. Tacoma is a "J" while this Jensen is an "E"..

Is there such an adapter to allow an E to be mounted in a J styled dash?
Old 02-16-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
word. I got my Pioneer Touschscreen Double Din for $299 Brand New
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
I really don't like any of the other radios because they're all too cartoonish looking for me.. I want something clean and OEM looking like this Jensen.

Basically my understanding was a single DIN radio will be able to be fitted into a Double DIN space right? I mean it's a universal sizing specification right? I'm not sure about the DIN sizing system Crutchfield uses.. is that all just a bunch of BS?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

DIN is an international standard. Yes a Single DIN will fit in a Double DIN space as the Double is 2x thicker (50mm vs 100mm or 2" vs 4"). The width is the same (180mm or 7"). The first gen is a Single DIN opening.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_7736

DIN is an international standard. Yes a Single DIN will fit in a Double DIN space as the Double is 2x thicker (50mm vs 100mm or 2" vs 4"). The width is the same (180mm or 7"). The first gen is a Single DIN opening.

Huh? My first gen has a double DIN radio in it right now.. I'm not sure what you mean..

According to the Crutchfield guy on the phone.. this radio has different mounting holes positions than what my Tacoma has.. ???? Does that make any sense? I didn't think aftermarket radio fitting was so precise anyways that it required matching mounting holes... thanks
Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
And according to the site, it will NOT fit in your truck.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #8

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
Huh? My first gen has a double DIN radio in it right now.. I'm not sure what you mean..

According to the Crutchfield guy on the phone.. this radio has different mounting holes positions than what my Tacoma has.. ???? Does that make any sense? I didn't think aftermarket radio fitting was so precise anyways that it required matching mounting holes... thanks

Do you have a picture of it?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Do you have a picture of it?
typical 1st gen taco dash... same as the 4 runner radio..

I don't get Crutchfield's sizing system.. everyone I've spoken too all agrees that DIN is a universal size.. and all single DIN fit into a double DIN.. no one I've spoken to so far is aware of different varieties of single DIN designs which limit the double DIN dashes it can fit into..
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #10

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
typical 1st gen taco dash... same as the 4 runner radio..

I don't get Crutchfield's sizing system.. everyone I've spoken too all agrees that DIN is a universal size.. and all single DIN fit into a double DIN.. no one I've spoken to so far is aware of different varieties of single DIN designs which limit the double DIN dashes it can fit into..

Ah, mine was different (98). They must have changed them in 01.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
just picked one up on ebay.. Here's a pic of it installed in some guy's Datsun.. great looking unit w/ tons of functionalities.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
yes a single din will fit into a double din space, you just need a spacer (which looks like a little tray). Scoche makes a spacer that holds 4 or so cd's which is pretty neat also. Have you looked at Alpines? Also a great option for you might be a clarion music catcher, not too flashy but packed with features like being able to record a cd to the hard drive for future listening. I had one a few years back and it was a couple hundred bucks and just great quality. I bet you can dig one up on ebay pretty easily if you can't still find them new
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
already bought this Jensen off of ebay. Love the simple monochrome LCD and hard buttons for each functionality. NOAA weather band feature is nice too!