1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking Brake sensor wire

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by comnenus117, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    comnenus117

comnenus117 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner
    I've recently purchased the Kenwood DNX 9140, and I have spliced the 9140 wiring harness to the aftermarket connecter harnesses from Scosche. What's left for me is the long light green wire, which supposedly gets spliced to the parking brake sensor wire. Is this simply a ground wire, and if so, does it need to be spliced to the parking brake wire? Or can it be grounded to...any ground (such as the black ground wire on the harness leading to the battery)? If it needs to go specifically to the parking brake sensor wire, where exactly is this wire located in the truck?

Lou

2. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    it needs to go to ground, but the thing is ya cant just put it straight to ground. by that i mean u have to interupt it by a switch, hittin the switch to ground whenever ya want to play a movie or whatever. thats what its like with my clarion screen anyway. By switching it to ground, its the same as hookin it up to some "parking brake sensor wire"

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    any single pole 12 volt toggle switch will work, bring one side of that green wire into one terminal on the switch, then run a wire to any suitable ground and hook it to the other terminal on the switch

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    comnenus117

comnenus117 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! However, the parking brake detection switch harness is already in the truck, and the DNX 9140 manual states to connect the light green parking sensor wire (from the head unit harness) to this switch harness. Where is this harness (or switch) located in the truck? Is it around the parking brake itself, or elsewhere in the truck?

Lou

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    ohh, i took the easy way i guess lol , i didnt want to have to have my park brake set to watch a dvd

6. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:44 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    use a pac-tr7 and then you can watch when you drive without the truck in park and the e-brake on. they run about 20-30 bucks

7. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    audi2000

audi2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rockwood Maine, Englewood Florida
    Vehicle:
    TRDoffroad 4x4 6spd
    i have 8120, went to ground so that passenger would have ability to watch movie.

8. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    comnenus117

comnenus117 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Gastonia, NC
    Vehicle:
    is there any particular amperage I need to worry about if I use the single pole, 12V toggle switch?

Lou

9. Feb 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    no theres no need to worry about current because there wont be any. its just a simple way to interrupt the path to ground that you need. It doesnt necessarily need to even be a 12volt toggle switch, any kind of switch would work.

Hilife96768 likes this.
  10. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    I have the Kenwood DNX-5120 and just grounded my parking brake wire, unless something has changed no switches or anything should be required for the kenwoods, I know there are some brands that require them though.

From what I can tell, hooking up the HU brake wire to the parking brake lets the HU know when it's ok to play movies and whatnot because the truck is not in motion. If you just ground the wire out the HU should always see it as ok to play movies or input the GPS.

11. Jul 25, 2010 at 1:41 AM
    HyperBolik

HyperBolik Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    XR n/a
    URS SS, Kenwood 8120 HU
    I can confirm. I have the Kenwood 8120. I grounded mine to the ground on the wire harness on my 2010 and it works fine.

12. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    dangerbird

dangerbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
  13. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    Lowered 3/4, debadged, led tails, projector headlights with hids, billet grill, blacked out windows, painted front and rear bumper and grill shell. Inside, 4 crappy 15's, suede wrapped headliner and door panel inserts, alpine double din, few painted pieces inside, and every led is either blue or white.
    the best thing to do with that wire is to just ground it to the ground in the harness like mentioned before. i did that with my panasonic double din and it allows u to watch videos anytime u want. u dont have to worry about flipping a switch or putting the ebrake on

14. Jul 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    burrito

burrito Member

Member:
    To find the parking brake wire harness look under the dash. See the parking brake pedal assembly? At the top of the pedal assembly there is a switch with a green wire coming from it. Thats the "harness". Splice the wire from the stereo to this wire. When the parking brake pedal is depressed the switch contacts close putting the wire to ground. The wire is there to complete the circuit for the parking brake light on the dashboard.

15. Sep 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    jz123

jz123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    j
    Vehicle:
    11' tacoma
    Having the same issue. I did not hook up the parking brake wire on My Pioneer MVH-2300NEX stereo. I had to upgrade the firmware on the head unit and I cannot do it becuase the wire is not hooked up. I spoke to Poineer about it not working and they told me to hook it up. Will the toggle switch solve this issue as well??

16. Sep 5, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    destin_meeks

destin_meeks I used to fix people's crappy stereos

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 SSM DoubleCab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    To provide some clarification on this post

Currently, it is a brand-specific thing

Kenwood, JVC, Sony, all can be permanently grounded simply by adding the light green in with your black ground wire.

Pioneer on the other hand, does require some form of switch because for video playback, it needs to see a ground, then release, then a ground again. This is to prevent people from permanently grounding the wire. A simple switch from any auto part store will do the trick.

*DISCLAIMER*
    Please do not be an idiot and watch video while you’re driving.
    Not only is this dangerous, it is mega illegal.
    Most states designate that if the video is visible by the driver (i.e. on the radio screen) it counts.
    Not only is this a ticket of several hundred dollars, it can also be several points on your license, reckless driving, or immediate suspension of your license. Cops don’t play about this crap so act accordingly.

17. Sep 6, 2018 at 4:41 PM
    jz123

jz123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    j
    Vehicle:
    11' tacoma
    Ok thanks. So the solution is to wire the green parking brake wire (from the stereo) to the positive terminal of the 12 volt toggle switch and then run another wire off the negative terminal of the toggle switch to a metal ground.

Assuming this is the proper solution? As per the toggle switch does the amperage matter? I know it needs to be a 12 volt toggle switch.

Thanks again for the help

18. Sep 6, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    any switch will work. you could wire up a home light switch if you wanted. voltage or amperage don't matter at all for this use.

19. Jan 12, 2019 at 8:36 PM
    drewbert41

drewbert41 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Champaign, IL
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver DCSB 4x4 TRD
    Is it possible for me to use one of the aftermarket switches that fit in the stock switch panel for this? Such as the light bar switches people put in? All the ones I find have 4 wires. Which ones would I hookup for it to be a 2-pole for my parking brake? Dumb question probably.

20. Jan 13, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    destin_meeks

Member:
    First Name:
    Destin
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    So for most of the 4-wires, it will be something like this

8F50C50A-3268-4124-967B-92C58043D8C1.jpg

You can definitely wire this up.

You’ll need to extend the parking brake wire from the radio down to the location of this switch

I would also splice in a lentgh of your orange illumination wire. That way, you can have the switch light up like the others when your headlights are on.

Your parking brake wire will go to green or red 1. Doesn’t matter. And the other will go to ground. You can simple jump it over to the ground wire and ground that somewhere. Then your orange wire for illumination you ran will go to red 2.

Products Discussed in

To Top