1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Throwin DC"

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TopTeke, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    TopTeke

TopTeke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 6spd. Access Cab
    I fried my old w6 and just replaced it with a brand new Rockford P3 12 - really happy with it, incidentally. However, when I was picking it up, the guy was kind enough to throw it in my box for me, and in the process he told me my amp is "throwing DC."

What's this mean? I asked him and he said it's not that big a deal, but my amp's been fine so far as I know for the year or so I've been using it. It's grounded right under the seatbelt (female end) with less than 12" of line between it and my amp.

Incidentally, I've noticed a lot of interfearance noise since I swapped out the subs. When I initially turn on the system, I get an uncontrollably loud buzz for a few seconds. Could these be related or is it more likely there are more than one factor at work here?

I've never had to deal with a ground loop, but perhaps this is what's causing the noise? There is only a verrrrrrrry faint change in the distortion that occurs with the engine revving, and it is by no means any sort of "whirr," as the sound is commonly described.

I'm no car audio wizz but I've done my fair share of installs. Any help would be awesome.

Amp - RF T400.2
    Sub - RF P3 12" DVC (I forget the model #)
    Deck - Pioneer 7000BT

Thanks everyone.

2. Feb 16, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    DC is direct current. I was under the impression that all car audio power was DC though. AC is for the house.

3. Feb 16, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    It's coming back to me know (albeit slowly). Circuits in the car are DC but the amplifier creates AC for the speakers I believe. So I'd imagine that DC is bad for the speaker driver which may be why your old W6 died.

I know the basics about electricity but not this much in depth. Maybe I should give my engineering buddy a call.

4. Feb 17, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    TopTeke

TopTeke [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Ventura, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner 6spd. Access Cab
    Any idea if the noise has something to do with that?

Products Discussed in

To Top