1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by JoeSchmuck, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Well I just recieved my shipment and I'm disappointed. I'm missing a subwoofer. Got the enclosure, just no speaker. Yea, I ordered the correct sub, the one that cost $229 bucks (TACO_SUB10_1L). I left a voice message and email so hopefully it will be resolved rapidly because I'm sure this was an oversight.

On the possitive side, everything else that I expected was there and well packaged. I even got a little speaker wire I wasn't expecting (comes in the speaker boxes) but I'm not sure if it's long enough to be useful based on my amp location. The sub box appears to be nice and solid.

This would have been a good weekend to do my install. Oh well, it's just the icing on top of an already crappy week. Maybe next week will be better :rolleyes:

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    good luck... search for ********* here at TW and you'll hear some horror stories... horrific communication and shitty products... Mr Marv is the way to go... and he'll even call you back when you contact him...

:sorry:

3. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Im sure it will all work out. I know how much of a bummer that is to plan everything out in your mind only to have it dashed by something like lackluster customer service having forgotten to put in all your purchased items. Hopefully you have better luck with communication with them than many of the others speak of.

4. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Nope, didn't know there was a history of bad service with *********. I'm not happy to hear that but I'll give them the day to contact me before I make an issue with PayPal. I'd rather them ship the sub than hastle with PayPal.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. Feb 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    You may want to search them here as well as ToyotaNation etc. Not so much to read about the problems people have had, but to read up on what it took to get it resolved. If TTunes doesnt fix you up in short order, at least then you will have an idea of good routes to go to get things fixed up. Keep us posted.

6. Feb 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i saw in your other thread that you ordered from tacoturd. i was going to say something in that thread but didn't want to worry you.

7. Feb 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM
    polox40

polox40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    I emailed them questions about the box and they emailed back within 10 min, twice, i guess feedback gets slower after you buy.

8. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Well I did get an email response that it was coming in another shipment. Now all I'm waiting on is when it will ship, if it hasn't already.

I can tell I will need to treat the MDF adapters with a water sealant but I was going to do that anyway.

What kills me is I have never read anything bad about *********, only references to how good they are, nice one stop shoping. Of course I wasn't looking for any negative reports either and I've been reading these threads for many many months before I took the leap. I thought thier wiring kits were a bit over priced so I ordered off eBay and spent half the cost for all the wire. My 4 GA wire is Stinger Hyper Thread in a wiring kit. That is some nice flexable wire! I could have save a few more bucks on something less flexable but this stuff should lay anywhere I put it and bends like a champ. Sorry, I get excited about some of the simplest things.

But hey, if anyone sees me making a mistake, even if after the fact, I don't mind a heads up on what to look out for.

Also, I'm not someone that can go around and sample car speakers to give them a proper evaluation. The store wall of speakers is not the same as installed in a car. Price of a speaker does not indicate quality of a speaker, although people do like to think so. I will admit that a $50.00 pair of speakers is verly likely to be not as good as a $200.00 pair of speakers, but how do you tell the difference from $90.00 pair and $150.00 pair? Name brand helps but it a difficult thing to know unless you install car audio all the time and have an ear to tell what's good or crap. I'm sure the Image Dynamics speakers are better than the stock ones and the price of those including all the mounting parts is what sold me. If a pair of Sony X-Plodes for $100.00 beat these Image Dynamics then I really wish I had see a comparison thread on speakers because I'd like to kick myself in the ass.

Okay, that was long winded.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    If you have any questions about the small sealed box that goes on the drivers side, if I can answer them for you before I install the box, let me know.

10. Feb 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    TOYOTA ALUMINUM STEP BAR, 3M HOOD FILM, WEATHERTECH FLOOR MATS, 7" DD WITH BACKUP CAMERA, TRD SEAT COVERS
    Sure , send me all the measurements and I'll make my own, I use auto cad, or any simple sketch will do.

As for speakers , i got the eclipse, really good clearance prices on them , not sure how good they are but i got a good deal on them are the hu is supposed to be very good ,great prices at sonic electronix.

11. Feb 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    You asked. I will admit that ths box is nicely done. Corners are rounded with a nice finish. If you had to buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, it may cost you more than having one built for you, but there is adventure and pleasure in doing something yourself.

The entire box is made of 3/4" MDF. All measurements were made to the nearest 16th inch and included the rough painted finish. Since the painted finish looks to take up about 1/32" on each surface, I'd take that into account when building the box. The 2" hole in the rear of the box is for the wiring connector which when installed makes it a sealed box. The cut out on the back is for the rear cab metal channel. It was created by gluing a peice of 3/4" MDF across the back, so needless to say, it's 3/4" deep.

The real thing here is you could make your own easy enough for a custom fit and the ONLY reason I didn't build my own was buying the MDF. That stuff is not cheap and I wanted a nice premade solution this time. You will need to look into building speaker cabinets, open port and sealed speakers, and have an idea on speaker specs like air volume moved. The formulas are very easy as I built speaker cabinets for my home, lets just say several years ago when big speakers were better. I will be looking into this myself as I really don't care for a sealed unit but given the smal box, I'm almost positive it needs to be sealed to obtain the proper resonence (not sure I spelled that word properly).

If you have any more questions, give me a yell.

Joe

BoxScetch.jpg

12. Feb 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    thx buddy, im more than a little anal, I have my own thoughts about what i want to do, never thought i would be so interested about audio.

13. Feb 27, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I've gone though my car audio phase, home audio phase, computer phase, car rebuilding phase, and other hobby interests. Once you've mastered something it's time to move on to another challenge. The only reason I'm getting back into car audio is because I now have a longer drive to work and listen to my radio a lot more, which leads to music CDs, now an iPod. I've always been a fan of hearing music the way it was intended. Quieting the truck and installing a very good sound system should fit the bill for me.

And you're welcome. If I were to design my own box, I'd remove the drivers side plastic box and build the speaker enclosure to match it perfectly while retaining the child seatbelt hook (you never know when that hook will come in handy). Right now the box I bought fits inside that plastic box after it's been modified some. I myself haven't decided if I will modify that plastic box yet. First I will install the sub without the plastic box. If all sounds good I will probably modify the plastic box and then the entire audio system will remain with the truck even when I sell it. Like I've said before, I want a factory look on everything, the HU needs to look like it belongs there in my opinion that's why it's taking me so long to purchase one.

Sorry for the long posting.

-Joe

14. Feb 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    i agree with the thought of the equipment being used shouuld belong where it is placed. i think that goes just about for anyone replacing or adding to the audio system in their vehicle. that was the reason why i placed my sub box where it is now. check out my build page and you will see.

15. Feb 27, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    polox40

Member:
    ONTARIO
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT 4X4
    Yes I want it to look stock as much as possible, and if it fits nice, thats why i'm spending all this time on this forum lol, I may decide to order the ********* box too, looking forward to hearing your feedback, when you look at the price with the sub it is a very good option.

16. Feb 28, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    Colinwoods84

Colinwoods84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport Double Black
    hey schmuck, I am going to assume your in hampton roads, I live in norfolk right outside gate 4 at nob. If you want hit me up sometime you can hear my infinity kappa's. Not bad speaker. A lil on the high side of sounds. I think Id prefer something better but oh well still sounds decent. I built my own box at the hobby shop on NOB. MDF cost me 27 bucks for a 4x8

17. Feb 28, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Nope, not that far east but I wish I were, I miss the ocean. I'm just south of DC. Hey, but I do appretiate the offer.

18. Feb 28, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    Colinwoods84

Colinwoods84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 Sport Double Black
    Yeah if i was on east coast I'd hate to be anywhere but here. What's that leave pax river and pentagon orders?

19. Mar 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    tacomarock

tacomarock Well-Known Member

Member:
    JoeSchmuck, tell Rob the PICKYSOB says' to get his a$$ in gear! He will know who it is!

20. Mar 2, 2010 at 3:18 AM
    JoeSchmuck

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Well there is another shipment in FedEx from ********* so that should be the sub speaker with an estimated arrival of Thursday. Guess it's time to tear out the factory HU and add a "remote on" wire to it.

PICKYSOB, you sure he will know it's you and not one of 15+ others ;).

Products Discussed in

To Top