1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for the specs on 2010 Tacoma Radio Model A51865

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by VincentB, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM
    VincentB

VincentB [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma PreRunner Dbl Cab Longbed
    Does anyone have the specs on Toyotas 2010 Tacoma radio model A51865? I am looking to upgrade the audio components in my double cab and would like to take it in steps. I was hoping to install new speakers first but if the radio is only pushing 5 watts I may have to take another approach. If you guys have any input it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 3, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    VincentB,
    I'm sure the factory HU is pushing a little more than 5 watts but maybe not much more. If you take some time to read a few of the threads here you will see a large variety of people doing different things. There are a few things that you must consider... The volume level you like to listen to. The money you would like to spend (then double it). Replacing the speakers is one fo the first things people do. They do make a difference. The rub is if you wanted to add an Amp, then you need to buy speakers willing to handle that kind of power, which normally require a bit more power to create proper sound like for the tweeters. And the last question is, do you want a sub. My personal feeling, if you don't want to kill your wallet and you are looking for good sound and don't mind a small amount of BASS loss, get some decent 6x9" speakers for your front doors and mounting adapters, hook those up and see how it plays. There are some good speakers that will work fine with the HU and even a lower powered Amp if that is the course you would like to take. As for replacing the HU, that can be costly too but there are a few really nice ones out there that push enough power where you don't need a seperate Amp. Read the Audio forums for experiences these folks have had.

Unfortuanately I don't have the specs for that factory HU. I will be attempting to use my factory HU in my upgrade however if I'm not happy with it, my eye is on something special but that will have to wait a few months since I've already blown my wad of money on speakers (including a sub), Amp, wires.

Good Luck,
    Joe

3. Mar 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    VincentB

VincentB [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma PreRunner Dbl Cab Longbed
    Thanks for the reply Joe. I am looking at the Boston Acoustics SC60 separates and B.A 6 3/4 two ways in the rear and was looking to not have issues with pushing them until I can replace the head unit. As of right now the stereo bottoms out when pushed pass 25. It starts to sound real nasally and I can’t determine if it’s the speakers or the radio.
    If the radio pushes a decent wattage I would stick with it till I can afford to replace it also.

4. Mar 4, 2010 at 1:08 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Odd, I wonder if it's the same radio as my 2009. One thing I've read before in these forums is these factory radios have built in bass boost and you cannot disable it. What this does is at low volumes you have nice sound, but when you start cranking it up the bass drops off and the treble sounds bright. Again, that's what I've read and I don't know it's a fact but I believe it's true. I do believe replacing the speakers is the best first step if you want to minimize cost. They would need to be replaced anyway because they are bargin basement budget speakers. The HU Im looking at is the PIONEER FH-P8000BT. It produces 22 watts RMS per channel, which is actually a nice amount. If you wanted to add an Amp later, this unit handles that very well. Oh, if you don't already know this, never use "Peak" power ratings, only use RMS. Peak is use to promote a sale, RMS is the actual power rating, and that applies to speakers as well. Again, all this inforamtion I gave you is all over these forums.

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top