1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Complete Noob Questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sonic, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Apr 15, 2008 at 6:23 PM
    sonic

sonic [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    Hey guys.
    Well I just bought my 04 Pre-Runner and the first thing I think I should purchase for it is a stereo.

I listen to all types of music, but I am not into all that window cracking bass stuff.

My Tacoma is a regular cab, so as far as I know there is just the two speakers, and the little ones(Arnt they called tweeters?) on the top of the door under the side windows.

For someone who wants the most bang for my buck, what should I do? I mean what price ranges am I looking at? And were is the best place to purchase the items. Also I am a do-it-myself kind of guy, so would it be difficult to install everything myself?

As far as I know I need 2 speakers, some subs(maybe 2 8inch subs?), a deck, and a amp. Anthing else I need?

2. Apr 16, 2008 at 10:33 PM
    sonic

sonic [OP] Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner
    bumpity?

3. Apr 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i'll post here as to "bumpity" it myself, but i have no idea when it comes to audio. all i've done to mine is putin a new deck....and in my old s-10 all i did was replace the stocks, throw an amp running to the door speakers (no subs), and replace the deck.

4. Apr 17, 2008 at 9:30 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    I am a BIG fan of the "KISS" principle (KeepItSimpleStupid :D) so I like your plan so far. :) In your case this is how I would personally do it and what you would need after deciding on a budget:
    1. good quality speakers properly sized for your specific truck if you plan to use stock locations (I prefer components)
    2. speaker baffles/adapters for your specific application
    3. good quality subwoofer(s)
    4. properly sized enclosure for sub(s)
    5. sound deadening materials
    6. a good quality headunit with the specs/features you need/want
    7. a good quality 4 channel amp (2 channels for the front and bridge 2 channels for the sub(s)
    8. installation accessories including but not limited to a dash kit, vehicle specific wiring harness, appropriately sized power/ground wire, fuse holder with fuse, speaker wire, interconnects, misc terminals/connectors etc
    Since speakers are what actually make the sound I ALWAYS make them my first priority in any sound system I design. There are TONS of speakers out there and everyone will have an opinion on what sounds "best" however the "best" bet is to go and listen to as many sets as you can to decide what sounds "best" to you (speakers on sound boards will sound very different than in a car but at the least you can eliminate those you don't like). If that's not possible you'll have to rely on reviews/opinions of others and hope they hear similar to you. As far as sub(s) I personally prefer at least a single 10" to round out the bottom end but if that won't fit your application a pair of good 8's will suffice for most people that aren't looking for "that window cracking bass stuff" :D.
    The next most important aspect for good sound IMO is installing those speakers PROPERLY (a good speaker installed properly will sound better than a great speaker installed improperly) and that's where the baffles/adapters, deadening and properly sized enclosure as well as tuning comes in. Last but not least is a good headunit with the features you want/need and a good amp with the power/features you need to play the system at the level you desire without audibly distorting.
    If you are handy you should not have too much trouble installing all of this yourself as there are a lot of tutorials for these trucks.
    Hope that helped!

Products Discussed in

To Top