1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood DNX-6140 vs 9140

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Nukewater, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    Nukewater

Nukewater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Saskatchewan
    Hey guys, time has finally arrived to buy a new headunit. I've been looking for quite some time now (i should really post pics of the new truck someday :p). After lots of looking, i've decided on a DNX-6140. However, i see the price on the 9140's came down quite a bit on Amazon:

DNX-6140 -> $707
    DNX-9140 -> $1200

I've pretty much got my heart set on the 6140. Is there anyone who feels the 9140 is the better choice. I plan on having this truck for a long time, so investing the money now seems okay.

Anyone for or oppose the 6140?

2. Mar 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM
    dreamnz

dreamnz Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Suspension: Camburg Spindles, Bilstein 5100s, Deaver Leafs, BFGs Audio: IDQ 10 in "Marv" box - Hybrid Audio L6 mid bass/ L4 mids / L1 ProSE tweets - RF Power / Arc Amps...BitOne.1 to control it all.
    Lots of differences. It depends greatly on where you plan to go with your system.

I started with the DNX-5120. I like the unit, but wish I'd have gone with the higher end ones after upgrading the rest of the system.

Ask yourself:

1 - How many pre-outs do you/will you need. 6140 only has 2 sets. 7140 and above have 3. I'd recommend having 3.

2 - Per-out voltage. 6140 is 2v. I'm not sure about the others.

3 - EQ. The 6140 is 3 band I think. It's nice to have more. :)

4 - A/V inputs - 6140 - if you add backup cam, ipod adapter, you're done. If you wanted to add any other gadgets, forget it.

If none of the above matters to you, I'm sure you'll dig the 6140.

Lastly, in another month Kenwood is releasing the new line. Check their web site. The newer model that replaces the 6140's spot has better specs. ie 3 sets of per-outs.

3. Mar 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    azTRD

azTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you haven't yet, you may want to check out the Kenwood Forums:

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/

This is a good source to find out un-biased reviews on the Kenwood HU's.

I can't speak for the 6140, because I don't have experience with that HU.

I do have experience with the 9140 and I can emphatically say that you should NOT buy this unit (especially if you plan on using an iPod with it). The 9140 has been riddled with problems from day one (some of which have been fixed), but some problems with the 9140 still remain and will not be fixed according to Kenwood tech support. I returned my 9140 because the problems were too much for me to overlook... especially after spending that kind of money... it should be defect free.

If you are looking at the 6140, Kenwood has just released a few newer models (DNX6160 and DNX6960) that you may want to check out as well.

4. Mar 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    nimetzz

nimetzz Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad V6
    I just bought a dnx 6140 and installed in in my 09 taco. Had it for about a week now.I have one problem with it....I haven't figured out how to work all the controls.but i will in time. the blu7 tooth sounds great, ipod is fairly easy to use I just can't figure out how to play entire playlist of videos...right now it will only play it through the artist then you have to manually start it on another artist(probably a user issue) I bought it from crutchfield. save a few bucks by buying the "open box".

5. Mar 13, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    Gingrbredman

Gingrbredman Love the Tick!

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    According to Crutchfield, the 6140 only has a blue display. The 9140, and some of the newer models, has multiple colors to choose from. This may be important to some.

6. Mar 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    nimetzz

nimetzz Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad V6
    Hmm, maybe I am looking at my setup manual wrong, but I believe i can customize the colors on my hu as well as download a picture for the screens background. I am on vacation right now, but when I get home Friday I will try to post a couple of pics of my display...:cool:

7. Mar 14, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    Gingrbredman

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    That would be good news for me if you could. I wanted the 6140 but would like the colors to match the stock if I can. I just checked Kenwood's website and it shows you can change the colors. Crutchfield says no. Hope you can confirm.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    nimetzz

nimetzz Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad V6
    I will double check when I get home tomorrow. I amm pretty sure you can even adjust or customize the colors, but I will double check. And like I said, If you buy the "open box" you can save yourself some money. It's a new unit not refurb and comes with the same warranty.

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
  10. Mar 15, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    Gingrbredman

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab Sport 4WD
    Yeah, let us know what you find out. You are probably right. After a little more research, it looks like you may be able to customize the colors. Not as much as some of the newer Kenwood models, but you can get an amber color.

11. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    nimetzz

nimetzz Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad V6
    Just looked at my kenwood dnx6140...you can change the display colors to 8 or 9 different colors(including PINK)!!
    Oh, you might want to look close at the one on Amazon...The reason I got mine from crutchfield was that it included the toyota dash trim for the unit. I didn't see it on the amazon site. plus tech support is pretty good too. It look as if crutchfield doesn't have it's special on the Kenwood at the moment though...so save a few hundred $$$$ buy the trim seperate

12. May 25, 2010 at 12:52 AM
    m_yota

m_yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab
    K&N airfilter, HID conversion for headlights/fogs. Wet Okole Seat covers, Kove Aphex processor Kenwood comp 6.5" and 6.5"coaxial 5100 billy shocks 2.5", 1.5" fabtech AAL,Epicenter and MTX Sub, debadged, tinted, kenwood dnx812, black mesh grill, led ext/int.
    Where do you guyz mount the navi?

13. May 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    nimetzz

nimetzz Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD OffRoad V6
    If you mean the antenna for the gps, i put mine on the bottom edge of drivers side dash....works just fine there

Products Discussed in

To Top