Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

IPOD and custom AUX audio input

Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
remo_1 is on a distinguished road
remo_1's Tacoma Gallery
IPOD and custom AUX audio input

I was a little disappointed when I found out that the 08 tacomas didn't come with an IPOD input or at least a regular 1/8" headphone jack AUX input. So after reading some reviews on this forum, I decided to buy the USA SPEC PA15-TOY. I was going to get the GROM interface but it doesn't have an AUX input. I have a shitty MP3 player so I use the AUX input, but my girl has an IPOD and it's nice to have a specific IPOD adaptor when I need. So now I can use both.

check it out fellas.

i basically followed directions from this guy,
http://www.acceleroto.com/pa15toy/

except i bought a few things from radio shack to install into the plastic cover below the air condition vent

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103451&cp

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2103848&cp

and some Superlock high temp/strength fasteners (velcro), to fasten the interface
http://www.radioshack.com/search/ind...w=6402360&sr=1

all it took was a little solder here (btw...i wasn't finished soldering when i took that pic)

some heat shrink tubing to cover the wires

install...and bam here it is. it looks good and better yet it works f**king great.

also, I ran the IPOD wire out through the glovebox, didn't take a pic though.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work man, but thats where my 4x4 switch is..doh
Old 04-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Nice work man, but thats where my 4x4 switch is..doh
Yea Homer, but you have a double cab now, so you should be able to do it on the other side where the passenger side airbag cut off switch was in your X since if memory serves the double cabs do not have the aurbag off switch.

Edit: Oh yea, that is a great looking install BTW.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Yea Homer, but you have a double cab now, so you should be able to do it on the other side where the passenger side airbag cut off switch was in your X since if memory serves the double cabs do not have the aurbag off switch.

Edit: Oh yea, that is a great looking install BTW.
Thats right there is no switch on that side in the new truck is there.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
remo_1 is on a distinguished road
remo_1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J View Post
Thats right there is no switch on that side in the new truck is there.

thanks guys. i wanted to put the 1/8" jack on the passenger side originally, but i have that damn airbag switch there, so i had to move it.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #6
TacoRyder is on a distinguished road

TacoRyder's Tacoma Gallery
Nice install!
How is the volume from the Ipod? I went and installed a Metra Ipod/Aux port in the stock radio and the volume is very low.
Is there something available to increase the volume?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
wwarnke is on a distinguished road
wwarnke's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same mod using the AXXESS adaptor from circuit city, it has the same part number as the metra, but the volume is very low. I have used tape deck adaptors that were louder. I have the MP3 player a full volume and have to crank the in dash unit to max to get the equivalent of an FM radio station at a volume of 30.

Any ideas?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #8
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwarnke View Post
I did the same mod using the AXXESS adaptor from circuit city, it has the same part number as the metra, but the volume is very low. I have used tape deck adaptors that were louder. I have the MP3 player a full volume and have to crank the in dash unit to max to get the equivalent of an FM radio station at a volume of 30.

Any ideas?
I don't think there is much you can do about that. Unless the adapter has a gain/loss switch then you really can't do anything with it. Otherwise, you can replace the entire adapter.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
wwarnke's Tacoma Gallery
Is this common with all adaptors or just this one? Circuit City gives you 30 days to return it. If it is a pile of crap then I am going to return it PDQ!
Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have the PA15-TOY, and useing the Ipod conector, the Ipods volume is equal to or better than the radio volume.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
wwarnke's Tacoma Gallery
It is nice and clear, just really quiet. I don't have an Ipod so I cant check the other input.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #12
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
I have the factory stereo, but the JBL version with the 6-Disc CD Changer. In my Taco, all I need to do is push the CD button again and it switches over to another CD setting that allows my ipod to work. The installer has the cord coming out the pen-like holder compartment above the cup holder. I'll take a picture if you guys (maybe girls) are interested. The sound is very nice-unfortunately the music is old.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
xraymikey is on a distinguished road

xraymikey's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to do the same excepet go to the junkyard and find a nicely wrecked 09tacoma so that I could transfer it to have my IPOD work and my fiance's. I was thinking of just getting a HD Alpine or Pioneer HD reciver with AUX input on the front panel of reciver. what do you guys think? I really want to play my nano and shuffle in my truck going to work back and forth everyday.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #14
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraymikey View Post
i wanted to do the same excepet go to the junkyard and find a nicely wrecked 09tacoma so that i could transfer it to have my ipod work and my fiance's. I was thinking of just getting a hd alpine or pioneer hd reciver with aux input on the front panel of reciver. What do you guys think? I really want to play my nano and shuffle in my truck going to work back and forth everyday.
pa15-toy..............:d
Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #15
rvzoo is on a distinguished road

rvzoo's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to rvzoo
Thats awesome!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
dbobrow is on a distinguished road
dbobrow's Tacoma Gallery
Aux Input - PA-15

Hi everyone. My first post, but since I am so pleased with the PA-15 aux for IPOD (and other things) I had to share it. I just got my '08 Tacoma Access Auto I-4 last month. Yes, I was pretty pi$$ed that Toyota couldn't even make the head unit an MP3 player. So, after reading all of the great posts from the kind folks here, I took the plunge and bought one from Crutchfield. The installation took all of 15 minutes, and my stock radio sounds great with the IPOD hooked up! Also, since my son loves his Nintendo DS and PSP, when I am in a good mood, I let him hook the other aux jack to his game system and he is blown away
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #17
yakker117 is on a distinguished road
yakker117's Tacoma Gallery
dbobrow,
Can you post some details about the Crutchfield unit?? What model, etc. Does it control the ipod and does it work with steering wheel controls??
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Very creative...great job! That may be a great idea for USB ports, too. I like it!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #19

Pics of my Ipod cable:

Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #20
Total Newb
mattb123 is on a distinguished road
mattb123's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, just bought my 07 Tacoma today. It has the in-dash factory CD changer. I'd also like to add the aux input, but I don't have an ipod so I just need the jack. Is the consensus just to get that pa15-toy for a simple aux input too?
When I went to Crutchfield and entered my vehicle info for an aux input adapter I got back two units that appear to just be FM modulators that connect to the antenna jack (JL Audio CL-SES and Kenwood KOS-A200 External Media Controller).
The second one of those looks pretty cool but for (about) $200 I could just get a new head unit with USB and an aux jack.
If I could get an inexpensive box that just give me an input (preferably without using modulation), that would be great. Is there such a thing?
In my Subaru (Forester XT) I just ended up putting a new Alpine head unit in to get the aux input (and a much nicer stereo) to solve this but I'm hoping for an easier/cheaper solution for the truck.