1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

install location for Sirius Sportster 5

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by lakewoodbilly, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Apr 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    Hey Folks,
    I'm looking for the best place to install my new sirius radio on my new '08 dbl cab 4wd.

I have a question; I pulled the black, triangular plastic piece off that is on the passanger side next to the head unit (for reference, the driver side has the 4wd switch on it). Does anyone know what accessory would normally go in this location?

The piece pulls out easily and has a disconnected wiring adapter under it.

I am thinking of attaching my radio to this piece as it is well out of the way and in an optimal location. I plan to drill a hole large enough to have the three wires pull through it for power, aux rca output, and antenna.

Any other thoughts on this? Any other locations that would work better?

Thanks much!

Bill

2. Apr 17, 2008 at 1:18 PM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    I think I've seen the passenger side airbag on/off switch on some models located there, but I could be mistaken.

3. Apr 17, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    lakewoodbilly

lakewoodbilly [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Lakewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    White 08 DC V6 SR5 4WD TRD Sport
    Factory DRL's, Underhood Flood LED's, Underbody Multi-color LEDS, Red Line Tuning Elite Hood Struts, Anytime Fog Lights, PIAA 4100 Intense White, Luminics JDM Yellow H10 Fog Lights, OBX Sport Pedals, Sill Protectors, Bed Net, Front Bed Tie Downs, iPod and Aux Factory HU Interface, Sirius Sportster 5, Satellite Antenna through third brake light
    That makes sense. Mine is a double cab, so it doesn't have that capability.

4. May 15, 2008 at 7:36 PM
    FireMedicScott

FireMedicScott Active Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2008 Off-Road
    Auto-Start, Tinted Windows, ARE Z-Series Cap with Yakama Rack
    I mounted a pro-fit bracket and love it. It is the best location for mounting a sirius radio. Go to pro-fit-intl.com and search for
    PART NUMBER:
    TY-72-05-L

5. May 15, 2008 at 10:39 PM
    RCNG FAN

RCNG FAN Active Member

Member:

I also used a Pro-Fit mount for mine. These pictures are not from my truck, but mine is installed in the same way.

IMG_0985_65cb33ca69047b3b9d16638472834111d40614ca.jpg

IMG_0984_76ca2625a6228cc6b8ceadd0ba9ab7ba60dc8ed9.jpg

IMG_0988_441c5bbe8bd7fdb64f1a84c227695f93b42477a4.jpg

6. Jul 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM
    Hot Tamale

Hot Tamale Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2012 Access Cab 4x2
    I got my 2008 Tacoma about 6 weeks ago. I couldn't believe they didn't have a satellite ready radio! I was trying to figure out where I could have my Sirius radio mounted when I saw this thread. I ordered one of the
    Pro Fit mounts and just had my radio installed today at Circuit City. I had to go back though because the installer tried to play me cheap by using adhesive instead of screwing the mount in. No wonder their business is going down the tubes.... Anyway, thanks for the info on the Pro Fit. :):)

7. Jul 30, 2008 at 9:10 PM
    nlt2836

nlt2836 Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Offroad
    Viper 350 HV, Alpine IDA-X001, PAC SWI-Jack, ARE Tonneau Cover, Bedrug
    I am going to be installing xm this weekend, and I was wondering how you ran the antenna cable through the 3rd brake light? Did you have to remove any interior pieces or just snake the wire? Any insight would be helpful. I am going to be installing an Alpine Head unit with an iPod cable in a metra dash kit, the JBL amp interface wire harness adapter, xm satellite radio, and the PAC steering wheel control interface.

8. Jul 30, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors

I have XM. I put the antenna at the edge of the passengers side of the windshield. Ran the wire down the edge of the windshield, tucked under the weather stripping. Down the door frame-use black electrical tape in the door frame & under dash. My XM roady sits in that narrow tray by the shifter. I left enough slack in the cords so I can pick it up to change channels without taking my eyes off the road. Took me 10-15 minutes from start to finish. Works perfectly, been using it for 3 years.

Good luck,
    Sean

9. Sep 3, 2008 at 5:52 AM
    Taco's for All

Taco's for All Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake George, NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off Road Double Cab
    Nothing at the moment
    Bracketron (www.bracketron.com) makes great brackets to mount your XM/Sirius/I-pod near your radio. I've used their brackets for a few different installs I've done and they work great and you don't have to go crazy trying to fabricate your own mount. $40 isn't a bad price to keep an install looking clean.

10. Sep 7, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    RealSouthernPride

RealSouthernPride Well-Known Member

Member:

yes

Products Discussed in

To Top