Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

6x9 question

Old 03-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
cheefsfn is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Senior Chief Petty Officer. Retired at 24 yrs.
cheefsfn's Tacoma Gallery
6x9 question

I just installed some Kenwood 6.5 in the front doors and a new head unit , the speakers seem to be lacking in the low end compared to the factory 6x9. My head unit is a Kenwood Excelon kdc-x6993. I don't want to add an amp. I guess to get the lows back, I'll need to put some 6x9 back in the front. With running only the aftermarket head unit, what RMS rating should I look for to get the lows back? Should I go with 2 way, 3 way, 4 way? I'm just looking for good sound with some decent bass. I appreciate any feedback.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
Proud Washingtonian
godofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud ofgodofspeed has much to be proud of

Navy: paper pusher
Name: Steve
godofspeed's Tacoma Gallery
I think with any aftermarket speakers, you will have to run a higher watts, I don't think the headunit will have enough power to run them good.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If you just want the amount of bass that the stock speakers had then just about any 6x9 will do. Don't really get caught up in 2way 3way stuff as it's mostly just marketing anyways. Most setups over 2way have a "super tweeter" that plays over 20khz which is a range of frequencies you can't even hear. So unless you want to pay lots of money to piss off the neighborhood dogs I'd advise against it.

These might not be bad. They actually have a crossover on the woofer and the tweeter. Most only have a crossover on the tweeter. They're pretty efficient too so they'll do ok off headunit power.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+TS-D902P.html
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
cheefsfn is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electricians Mate Senior Chief Petty Officer. Retired at 24 yrs.
cheefsfn's Tacoma Gallery
Appreciate the info.