Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Double Din (DVD & Nav) Units & Theft

Old 03-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Double Din (DVD & Nav) Units & Theft

What do you guys do in regards to theft and your double din unit? Im really regretting having not gone with a dvd unit, and it seems the best ones do not come with a detachable face...and from what Ive read you really dont want a detachable face.

Theft isnt too prominent in my area, but I would still like some mental relief. I have never had an alarm, and really dont want one...but is that your only/best protection?

Do you fellas worry about your headunit? What do you do?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
SilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to beholdSilverStreak05 is a splendid one to behold
SilverStreak05's Tacoma Gallery
Navi units are pretty common these days, so theft isn't as much of an issue as it used to be. That said, other than an alarm there's not really much you can do. If a thief really wants it then they'll get it regardless of any precautions you take.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I was thinking about doing this with a stock Ranger unit:

Old 03-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
i think the jvc nav units have a detachable face. here in so cal theft is still an issue. best thing is a cover face from a stock stereo or theft proof it as much as possible. i have i single din alpine but added metal straps to the stereo that bolt to the dash. it aint coming out unless you bring tools.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
dreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to beholddreamnz is a splendid one to behold

dreamnz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I was thinking about doing this with a stock Ranger unit:

I love it!!! You should market this. Make them to fit most any double-din unit to make it look like a POS. You could call it a "Sh!tFace".
Old 03-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I was worried about theft when I installed my stereo stuff, but it's been almost 2 years and no issues. Not to mention I scheduled the items on my car insurance, so I won't be assed out if it does get stolen.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamnz View Post
I love it!!! You should market this. Make them to fit most any double-din unit to make it look like a POS. You could call it a "Sh!tFace".
LOL. The idea came from a guy on the Ranger forums. I figure use a Ranger stock head unit since they are cheap.

Oh and see how the paint is coming off? Yeah talk about cheap interiors. Whoever says the Tacoma has a cheap interior should be kicked in the nuts.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
I just through my jacket over my dash like im protecting my dash from the sun. 2 years no problems. Even both of my friend parked next to me once at work and both of their trucks got broken into but the thief left my truck alone.