1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alarm remote needed for 1997 Tacoma (Southeast Gulf region)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mgeoffriau, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mar 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ridgeland, MS
    I purchased a 1997 Tacoma a few weeks ago. I noticed the red LED pushbutton on the dash, just left of the steering wheel, and the "security system" sticker on the driver's side window, but the previous owner didn't have any clickers, and told me he had never used the alarm system.

Well, last week the truck stranded me at work -- I turned the ignition to start it, got a "click", and nothing else. Went to check the battery connection, opened the door, and the alarm went off. I popped the hood and disconnected the battery. The positive battery connection was pretty loose.

My theory is that the loose battery connection set off the theft protection, so when the battery made momentary contact again the alarm went off. I got a ride home, then returned the next day and pulled the alarm brain. The truck started right up at that point.

Pulling the alarm brain, however, has made the power locks act a bit funny. The driver's side lock button only controls the passenger lock now -- the driver's lock must be pulled up and pushed down manually. It's also stopped doing the automatic lock-unlock process when the truck is started and then shut off.

I'd like to plug the alarm brain back in, but I don't want to mess with it until I have a clicker. I've read that the southeast region/gulf states trucks often came with different alarm systems than the rest of the country.

Can anyone identify this alarm system, and point me toward what kind of clicker I need to get for it? I know the pics are terrible -- I took them quickly with my cellphone. I haven't yet pulled off the adhesive pad to see if there is more text underneath that might be used to identify the alarm, but I can do so upon request.

alarm01.jpg
    alarm02.jpg

2. Mar 11, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Based on what (little ... ) I can tell from the photos, that is not a Toyota VIP alarm system (which I believe wasn't available as an accessory until around 1999 or 2000 anyway).

I have no idea what it is. If it dates back to when the truck was new (-ish) it's practically guaranteed to not be worth dealing with ...

3. Mar 12, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ridgeland, MS
    Anyone else? I think I'll pull off the adhesive pad today and see if there's any more info underneath.

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ridgeland, MS
    Pulled off the adhesive pad, no information underneath. Going to open up the box tonight, maybe there will be some identifying text inside.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ridgeland, MS
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top